GWN-1000C-1A
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Joakim Agren

Thread: GWN-1000C-1A

GWN-1000C-1A

Hi, I haven't posted in too many forums, hopefully this is the correct place to ask a question, I recently purchased the gulfmaster and love the look and style of this watch but i have a couple of issues that i haven't been able to solve with researching the internet...

The tide function on my watch has been set perfectly, I have set the correct date, the correct time, DST is turned on, I have the home city set to LA as I live in san diego and the tides are similar enough +- a few minutes.

Now, when i set the first am high tide, it displays correctly. The next high tide today is at 6:57 but the watch does not show the high tide in the afternoon until 8pm, is this watch completely off or am I missing something?
    Does anyone else have issues with the tide graphs?

Re: GWN-1000C-1A

No problem with the second high tide on any day. Not that this is much help to you.

I hope you find the answer.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." - Freud

It looks as though the gulfmaster is adding 54.5 minutes to each day......I'm sorry but this is not how tide is calculated, again am I missing something here??
    here is a photo to better explain the predicament:
    Name:  20150925_092628.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  2.50 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have attached a photo of the actual tides based on LA tide tables. Underneath I placed the gwn1000 prediction by going to tide mode,I think this will give you a better understanding of my problem. I programed the tide correctly for today but it soon becomes completely incorrect. After 5 days the tide is 90 minutes away from the true tide. ....

Also please assume that the date, time zone, year, high tide/moon age have all been set correctly. I have gone through each function and configured it correctly.

I surf quite often and this is a big issue for me if indeed the gulfmaster does not calculate tide correctly.

I just went and looked up what kind of tides your area has, and apparently they're 'mixed' according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide#/..._types_map.jpg

From what I remember, Casio tide graphs are for Semi-Diurnal tides only (if anyone knows better, correct me on that), so you're basically out of luck.

After 5 days the tide is 90 minutes away from the true tide. ....
    To me, this looks like normal behaviour of the tide graph... Though I don't own a Gulfmaster and don't live in LA, but I can speak for my Tide Graph Casio (GW-9110) and the North Sea.
    Of course the watch just uses moon phase to calculate the tides- but in reality, the tide depends on many additional influences:
    I found out that in some locations, the Tide Graph is very precise, and in a different location (difference just about 30 miles) the Tide Graph is useless if not calibrated every day.
    So I'm quite sure that your Gulfmaster is working fine, and that the settings are correct.

You are out of luck since Casio watches do not work well for the west coast in the US since tides are mixed whilst Casio assume the tides are semi-diurnal. For you I would recommend a Nixon Supertide with pre programmed tides for your area, perhaps one of the best on the market currently for tides.
    domoon, Rocat and ElectricDan like this.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

I believe the Freestyle or Rip Curl brand of watches have a better tide accuracy for the West coast.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    You are out of luck since Casio watches do not work well for the west coast in the US since tides are mixed whilst Casio assume the tides are semi-diurnal. For you I would recommend a Nixon Supertide with pre programmed tides for your area, perhaps one of the best on the market currently for tides.
    Yep, that is exactly the watch I just bought, I wish I could combine the two, I love the supertide, when i was watch shopping I held the gulfmaster to the same standard as the supertide as far as tides are concerned. The nixon supertide is spot on, best tide watch for me.

Thread Information