GX-56 1A vs 1B **pic-heavy**
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GX-56 1A vs 1B **pic-heavy**

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GX-56 1A vs 1B **pic-heavy**

Hi all,

Advance apologies for this post; I know answers to many of these questions will probably be scattered across the forum, but thought it would do good to consolidate them in one place to help potential GX56 buyers in the same position as I am. As is evident, I'm looking to get the GX56, but can't make up my mind between the 1A (black/red) and 1B (black/gold).

Request folks with firsthand experience of both to please help with these doubts:

1. Is it true that the 1A's reverse display is hard to read at certain angles in daylight or in general hard to read in low light conditions? If so, doesn't the EL help make it more visible? Can the reverse display's clarity be compared to another model? (the GA-100-1A1 to be specific - sorry, I have only that with -ve display)

2. Do the grey shock absorbers in the 1B make it look a bit not-so-cool?

3. What color is the 'G-SHOCK' and 'PROTECTION' writing on the 1B's bezel - pure yellow or gold? Same question for the display background - is it an obvious yellow? Any comparisons with some other models?

4. Lastly, which do you prefer and why? - I know this is kind of subjective, but with myself on such an even keel, any favorable comment can make me tilt either way.

Thanks very much in advance.
    nagpal

PS: I've collected a few pictures of each (including GXW-56 as I just want to focus on the black/red vs black/gold) from various threads across the forum, I hope the owners don't mind my re-posting them here. I DO NOT take credit for any of these, I just downloaded them so I could compare both models offline. I'm posting them here again to help folks make up their minds - often it's "just that one shot" that pushes you over the edge If you do want to have a pic removed, please PM me and I'll do the needful. I collected these pics after a fair amount of trawling and don't remember which has come from where.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rsr911 likes this.

Re: GX-56 1A vs 1B **pic-heavy**

I think I'm going to have to see these G's in person to figure out which one I want. My gut says the orange with neg display. My brain says I'll get annoyed at a neg display that isn't as bright as the one on the GW-7900B...

Just my 2 cents.

Neil

I like the GX-56 1B very much. The gold and black combo is just so appealing and good for everyday uses.

It is probably the best G-shock watch I ever have. Until another Giant G-shock come along. This is currently the BEST G-shock watch.

BIG,BIG, I want G-shock watch to get BIGGER. Big Watch looks nice on my wrist and makes me look mancho
    " One Watch to rule them all, One Watch to find them. One Watch to bring them all and the darkness bind them. "

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pretty sweet little collection you have there~Cheers!

Here's a few more pics from my collection:
    Name:  SAM_0579.jpg
Views: 8227
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  SAM_0581.jpg
Views: 9023
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  SAM_0583.jpg
Views: 6924
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  SAM_0584.jpg
Views: 18067
Size:  57.2 KB

For reference, I have 7.25" wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpal View Post
    1. Is it true that the 1A's reverse display is hard to read at certain angles in daylight or in general hard to read in low light conditions? If so, doesn't the EL help make it more visible? Can the reverse display's clarity be compared to another model? (the GA-100-1A1 to be specific - sorry, I have only that with -ve display)

2. Do the grey shock absorbers in the 1B make it look a bit not-so-cool?

3. What color is the 'G-SHOCK' and 'PROTECTION' writing on the 1B's bezel - pure yellow or gold? Same question for the display background - is it an obvious yellow? Any comparisons with some other models?

4. Lastly, which do you prefer and why? - I know this is kind of subjective, but with myself on such an even keel, any favorable comment can make me tilt either way.
    Answers:

1) The Negative LCD of the orange gx56 is not comparable to the black/gold gx56's display. The Black/gold's display is very legible while the orange's display is a little hard to see especially indoors with little light. The EL would really help a lot in viewing the LCD though. Here's a comparison picture of the displays:

2) I like the gray color of the shock absorbers, it complements the watch imho:

3) The GSHOCK and PROTECTION is somewhat subdued yellow, a bit goldish but not bright gold. The Screen is gold too like that of the DW5600eg-9V:

4) Still the black/gold for me... I love how legible the screen is and it's more wearable because of the 'conservative' color scheme.

Goodluck!

Thanks everyone, I too am leaning towards the 1B (black/gold). Good to know I have company

Quote Originally Posted by nagpal View Post
    Thanks everyone, I too am leaning towards the 1B (black/gold). Good to know I have company
    good choice

I bought the GX-56-1B because I liked the contrast of the black digits on gold,readability from more angles(more than the 1A)and I personally feel that the red coloured buttons and highlights might be difficult to carry off.
    Needless to add,the huge G is a real stunner and wears much larger than the 'large' models we know and wear-7900/6900/PRG80/GA-100 among them.

I was recently at Macys and they had both the orange and black GX-56s in the case. After trying one on, I ended up not buying one because it was simply too big. This isn't meant to discourage anyone from buying one but pictures do NOT do the size justice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information