GX-56 + strap adapter + 7900MS nylon strap: possible?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: GX-56 + strap adapter + 7900MS nylon strap: possible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GX-56 + strap adapter + 7900MS nylon strap: possible?

What do you think, is it worth trying? I noticed that the 7900 series has a lug width that is smaller than the GX-56's. Since they both use screws and not springbars I think the nylon strap would fit, and being non-tapering, it would not look too small for the King. If it is the other way around (7900 having a wider lug width) I don't think it would work. Of course I can just order the parts first and try them out, but local Casio supplier is a bit stingy about ordering spare parts. The fact that they are mainly importers and not really "Indonesian Casio branch" may have something to do with it. I might have to import the adaptor and extra 7900MS band so am trying to ask around first before jumping in. The look that I'm aiming for is similar to the GX-56 + Bell&Ross BR01 nylon band someone did previously.

Re: GX-56 + strap adapter + 7900MS nylon strap: possible?

It's very close, but I can't seem to make it work. I don't see how you would plan to use adapters, as those are used for one piece bands like a Zulu or the one piece resin pands that Casio sometimes uses. The 7900 MS nylon strap is two pieces designed fro use with a spring bar. However, the spring bar loop in the MS strap is the same size as the opening for the King's band. Also, the loop is the right size for the King's screws. There is one problem that I run into when trying to make this work. The spring bar loop on the MS sstrap will not fit deep enough into the lug area for the screws to actually attach it. Also, the MS strap is not as wide as the base of the King. So, even if it did work, there is about 2mm difference in width of strap and base of watch on both sides of the strap.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Edit: after a little "convincing," I was able to make this work. Doesn't look great because the strap is not awe wide as the watch.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas
    GTR83 and ferrarista like this.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, Tsip. My mistake - I always thought the 7900MS strap is a one piece Zulu-style strap. I take it this means the "conventional" route is still the only way then - get the adaptor, trim its sides to allow it fitting both the King's lugs and the Zulu, and give it a wider Zulu (maybe 24mm) then.

EDIT: just saw your pic of it. Awesome that you tried it! I agree the overhang between the watch case and the strap makes it look a bit unbalanced. If the King/MS strap is brightly colored it will probably look even weirder.
    Last edited by GTR83; December 5th, 2011 at 14:02.

This is the first time I've had a real feeling of how big the GX56 actually is! I have a 7900MS, and thought the 28mm width of the strap was big, but it looks puny on that watch - dam, I want one now!!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I actually took the MS strap off of the 7900 because I thought it was a little too big for the watch. I now use it on my cammo modded 9100 Riseman and it looks great. I've seen people use adapters to put the King on a 24mm Zulu, which also makes the King look HUGE, but I think casio got it just right with the bands they use. It gives the watch a perfect balance that makes it a big watch without looking rediculously big. The stock straps are flush with the base of the watch and graduall taper to aobut 24-26mm giving the King a perfectly balanced look. They are also very comfortable. To me, the King is one watch that looks good enough "as is" without needing any mods. The only thing I could think one would really want to do with a King os possibly paint the bezel letters and change the color of the foam insert inside the case just to give it a different look. I'm hoping Casio continues to release the King in various different color trims.
    Hook 'Em!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    Edit: after a little "convincing," I was able to make this work. Doesn't look great because the strap is not awe wide as the watch.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas
    I actually like it. yeah there is a gap, but its not too big. I'm sure its much more comfortable than the stock resin strap also.

I did something similar with my GD-100 because i didn't like the stock strap and how its bulky near the lugs. I notched a 24mm maratac elite strap and its much more comfortable to me and looks nice. it has that 2mm gap like your king, but in real life you don't notice it that much.

If someone wants to put a rubber, kevlar-carbon look on their king that matches the size, they can buy bell&ross straps since they are 34mm wide near the lugs with 24mm lug width. you would have to notch it to make it fit in the king.

I also like the king on zulu. would be nice if casio could do a version with adapters that match the case and one piece band. that would be awsome!

Name:  king on zulu.jpg
Views: 3749
Size:  155.9 KB
    G-fob, GTR83, DMD123 and 1 others like this.

Funny you mentioned the GD100. I absolutely love the strap on that watch for some reason. It's a little softer feeling than other resin straps and I love the width of it. I mentioned that I didn't like the look of the MS strap on my 7900. I actually took it off and swaped it with the GD100. That way they both have a wider strap that tapers at the. I've since put some adapters on the GD100 and have it on a 24mm Zulu, but the 7900 is keeping the 100's bands!

And that King does look really good on the Zulu. The adapters work well to taper it down to the 24mm strap. In fact, it gives me an idea to play around with. I have an exstra set of adapters and a 24mm black Zulu with a dark blue stripe on it. Might have to see how it looks on my Blue King!
    Last edited by Tsip85; December 5th, 2011 at 18:55.
    ferrarista and GTR83 like this.
    Hook 'Em!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    Funny you mentioned the GD100. I absolutely love the strap on that watch for some reason. It's a little softer feeling than other resin straps and I love the width of it. I mentioned that I didn't like the look of the MS strap on my 7900. I actually took it off and swaped it with the GD100. That way they both have a wider strap that tapers at the. I've since put some adapters on the GD100 and have it on a 24mm Zulu, but the 7900 is keeping the 100's bands!

And that King does look really good on the Zulu. The adapters work well to taper it down to the 24mm strap. In fact, it gives me an idea to play around with. I have an exstra set of adapters and a 24mm black Zulu with a dark blue stripe on it. Might have to see how it looks on my Blue King!
    I agree with you, the gd100 strap is softer, but i just don't like resin band in general.

post some pics of your blue king when you put the zulu on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information