The GX-56: what do you REALLY like about it?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The GX-56: what do you REALLY like about it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The GX-56: what do you REALLY like about it?

Before I go, I'd say sorry to all the GX-56 haters, as with this thread you will find a perfect reason to say that I (and all the others who still have an wear their GX-56s) am simply looking for reasons to justify our Kingly purchase

But now on to the topic. I used to think square G-Shocks are too old school so never really looked into them. But then when I got my G-7900-3, the courier who brought it to me was wearing a gold-screened 5600 and we started talking about it. He is a fan of the 5600 models and talked about it passionately to the point of making me want one. I thought "Hey, the square form turns out to be quite appealing in real life. And it also has all the basic features of a G-Shock so why not?"

Tried it on and I was disappointed - it felt and looked too small. After the courier went home, the thought about a square G-Shock went to the back of my mind until I logged in to WUS and started noticing a recent surge of threads about The King. I started browsing for King wrist shot photos -- the signs of an imminent purchase don't you think?

I went back and forth about it especially since I was also looking at two Riseman variants. But alas, the G-Force is stronger than any human will, so I finally gave in and ordered the GX-56. Here's what I like about the watch:

- Massive size and wrist presence. Used to think my slightly more round-ish 7.25" wrist won't pull it off, but turns out it works.
    - All the basic functions remain. The 3220 module is similar to the 5600's module (even down to the screen size) but all I need is there. Before I got into G-Shocks (which is less than 3 or 4 months ago) I am used to analog watches so even having two stopwatches is still kind of a luxury to me.
    - Great construction and choice of materials, even more so than the average G. The screwed buckle and thicker resin strap is a big plus
    - Negative EL
    - Negative display. When I made the decision to get the GX-56 I am conscious that I am basing the decision mostly on looks so I didn't really care about low light legibility; besides there's the Auto-EL.
    - Tough Solar. This allows me to (among others) keep Auto-EL always on without really worrying about running down the battery. Although, due to the limited functions the 3220 module has, probably a CR2025 battery would still last 4-5 years anyway.
    - It is a square G! And it is very different in shape to my daily wearers, PRG-130Y and G-7900-3. I am glad I did not get the 5600 -- because I wanted a square but not that small; with the King it just feels you have a huge piece of rock on your wrist.

That's probably all I could think of right now. Regarding the color choice for my King, I always liked the combination of red and black on G-Shocks ever since the DW-6600 I had years ago (in fact I only found out the model number of my childhood G-Shock because I joined this site). Was also looking at the DGK but no one has them in my country for less than $300 so I backed out. It would have been my first collab anyway and I would be babying it too much I think.

So, what do you have to say about your King?

P.S. haters, feel free to reconsider your decision of NOT getting it...

Re: The GX-56: what do you REALLY like about it?

Ive got an orange one and I love it. Bonded with it immediately. Its my first "colourful" G and its getting more wrist time than my others now.

It's colour and size get lots of comments. Perfect summer watch and a hell of a watch for the £85 it cost me.

Will be looking at getting the stealth model thats being released soon also.

If you can handle the size I would recommend them to anyone.

£85? wow my orange one cost me £126 from Masters in Time, but my black and red one was £90 off Amazon. Is there a UK source to get the orange one at £85?

Really wanting the -1BD model with the normal lcd but no cash at the mo and it costs about £130 here in the UK AFAIK...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GTR83 View Post
    So, what do you have to say about your King?
    i like the honeycomb-case construction and the full steel buttons

GTR83 and mhammer8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    £85? wow my orange one cost me £126 from Masters in Time, but my black and red one was £90 off Amazon. Is there a UK source to get the orange one at £85?

Really wanting the -1BD model with the normal lcd but no cash at the mo and it costs about £130 here in the UK AFAIK...
    Heres the link of the place I use. His prices have gone up slightly but he's still very competitive and has free shipping. It was actually £87 I paid and he would probably accept an offer of that amount if you contacted him. Hope that helps.

watchesdeals | eBay UK

What do I like about the GX56 everything. I like the big size,how it looks, colors & the statement it makes. It's my favorite model. All of mine have moved to the top of my rotation.
    rsr911 likes this.
    Mechagodzilla find me a G-Shock in Tokyo!!

To me it looks like a super heavy duty G-Shock. Looks like you could use to pound nails if needed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
    Will be looking at getting the stealth model thats being released soon also.
    Source? Just want to see a picture of it (if there is one)

Hi,
    when the first pictures were leaked I really liked it. Didn't like the basic module however. What helped in my decision to get one was this photo stream on flickr:
    Casio GX-56 - 13 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Especially those large steel buttons underneath the resin bezel. And then the orange one was on sale with 33% off - and it was the "Japan Y" version, too. So I couldn't resist.
    I really like:
    - the construction
    - size and weight
    - color
    - that it really stands out
    - that I could get a "Japan" G-Shock without having to pay Frogman-prices (btw: just to mention it: there's a difference between "Made in Japan" and "Japan" on the back of a watch, the quality is probably the same as on the "Made in Thailand" version but just the limited number makes it special)

regards, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Its large. What else is there?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information