GXW-56 auto atomic sync question
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GXW-56 auto atomic sync question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

GXW-56 auto atomic sync question

Hey guys. My recently purchased GXW-56 1B seems to be having problems auto syncing. Its been cloudy in London in recent days, and my GXW-56-GB, which usually syncs well, has also missed a few auto syncs. However, last night the GB synced while the 1B didn't, and they were right next to each other and facing the same way. The 1B manual syncs no problem at all, so I know it can sync. When I press and hold adjust (while in time mode) to cycle through the various setting options, there is one that says L3. What exactly does this adjust? I know L3 refers to the strength of signal, but what exactly does this option do with regards the signal? I see that the option here is either L1 or L3. Any help from my F17 brothers would be most appreciated! Cheers, Ash

Re: GXW-56 auto atomic sync question

There is only an auto sync option. The L3 and L1/L2 are if you hold the bottom right button to manual sync showing signal. The LT1/LT3 is EL time. Just make sure your sync is set to auto.

Hail to the King, baby.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillaSkill View Post
    There is only an auto sync option. The L3 and L1/L2 are if you hold the bottom right button to manual sync showing signal. The LT1/LT3 is EL time. Just make sure your sync is set to auto.
    ok cool, that makes sense. Thanks. I already checked the auto sync is on, so not sure why I'm having problems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my limited experience (2 atomic G-shocks) reception and syncing is fuzzy. I try three manual attempts at the same spot and two fail and the third one succeeds with a L3 signal even.
    Or it fails in the living room but works in the basement!

I think this is normal and I compare it to an antenna FM radio, you can lose the signal for no apparent reason.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by captain kid View Post
    In my limited experience (2 atomic G-shocks) reception and syncing is fuzzy. I try three manual attempts at the same spot and two fail and the third one succeeds with a L3 signal even.
    Or it fails in the living room but works in the basement!

I think this is normal and I compare it to an antenna FM radio, you can lose the signal for no apparent reason.
    I do agree with your summary of the inconsistency of the atomic sync. However, of the three atomic Gs I have (2x Kings, 1x GW2500 Aviator) the Aviator has never missed a sync since I bought it, while the Kings are more inconsistent.

I'm wondering if the generally more reinforced build of the Kings somehow insulates them from the radio signal to an extent.

Even more strangely, when I got my first atomic King it didn't sync for a while, but then once it did it then became more consistent. It was almost as if it needed to learn where the signal was in relation to its position!

I do of course realise that weather and position are the most likely factors with regards the success or failure of syncing, but sometimes I do wonder if there are other factors.

For instance, do some units have better receivers than others, either in terms of different models (eg my Aviator vs Kings) or maybe due to variations in the standard of manufacturing of the atomic receivers?

I'd be interested to hear of other anecdotal syncing experiences!

Cheers,
    Ash

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Li View Post
    I do agree with your summary of the inconsistency of the atomic sync. However, of the three atomic Gs I have (2x Kings, 1x GW2500 Aviator) the Aviator has never missed a sync since I bought it, while the Kings are more inconsistent.

I'm wondering if the generally more reinforced build of the Kings somehow insulates them from the radio signal to an extent.

Even more strangely, when I got my first atomic King it didn't sync for a while, but then once it did it then became more consistent. It was almost as if it needed to learn where the signal was in relation to its position!

I do of course realise that weather and position are the most likely factors with regards the success or failure of syncing, but sometimes I do wonder if there are other factors.

For instance, do some units have better receivers than others, either in terms of different models (eg my Aviator vs Kings) or maybe due to variations in the standard of manufacturing of the atomic receivers?

I'd be interested to hear of other anecdotal syncing experiences!

Cheers,
    Ash

I've read a lot of syncing threads.
    Some people claim one model having better reception then others (like you and the Aviator and Kings) and also some claim it has to (auto) sync for a few times before manual works more consistently. (similar to what you observed)
    Or auto working better then manual.

I'm sure not all models use the same receiver or antenna or antenna placement or case thickness is a factor or bezel thickness but I have found no real facts about this at all.
    I don't think it has to "learn" to sync and I also don't think auto works better then manual.

Slightly off topic but I just found something interesting in my manual (3063 module, gw-5525a, GW-M5610) while looking at auto receive.

Name:  Untitled-11.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  221.9 KB

Never knew home city and DST was related to at which times it auto syncs..
    I always thought it started at 1 am and if it synced at 3 am it meant it failed at 1 and 2 am.
    Last edited by captain kid; October 22nd, 2013 at 01:23.

Banned

Re sync time, I'd guess it has something to do with location proximity to nearest station, and local time of course.

I just checked my GXW-561B (6.55am here in London) and it failed to sync yet again last night, while my GXW-56GB synced. They were side by side! - very frustrating.

I've just done a side by side, function by function comparison between my two Kings, and found one difference.

The DST option on my GB is set to auto, while my 1B was set to on.

The manual mentions having DST set to auto as a fix for the auto receive being one hour off rather than not achieving a sync at all, for which it suggests other solutions.

Still, I am hopeful this will solve my problem. If not I am out of ideas!

Cheers,
    Ash
    Last edited by Ash Li; October 22nd, 2013 at 08:36.

Re sync time, I'd guess it has something to do with location proximity to nearest station, and local time of course.

I just checked my GXW-561B (6.55am here in London) and it failed to sync yet again last night, while my GXW-56GB synced. They were side by side! - very frustrating.

I've just done a side by side, function by function comparison between my two Kings, and found one difference.

The DST option on my GB is set to auto, while my 1B was set to on.

The manual mentions having DST set to auto as a fix for the auto receive being one hour off rather than not achieving a sync at all, for which it suggests other solutions.

Still, I am hopeful this will solve my problem. If not I am out of ideas!

Cheers,
    Ash
    Never heard of auto DST, I'm off to check if one of the receiving home cities uses the same DST dates as my country.
    Good luck with your GXW-56.
    Ash Li likes this.

Banned

Still no luck with auto receive, despite both my 1B and GB both being set up identically as far as I can see. The GB synced while the 1B has yet to make an auto sync in the seven days I've had it.

If anyone here has any ideas as to what to do next I'm open to suggestions, as I'm currently out of ideas, save from leaving the watch in another part of my house (which makes little sense given two Gs in the same current location are syncing fine)

Cheers,
    Ash

Still no luck with auto receive, despite both my 1B and GB both being set up identically as far as I can see. The GB synced while the 1B has yet to make an auto sync in the seven days I've had it.

If anyone here has any ideas as to what to do next I'm open to suggestions, as I'm currently out of ideas, save from leaving the watch in another part of my house (which makes little sense given two Gs in the same current location are syncing fine)

Cheers,
    Ash

So the 1B never did an auto sync.

Is auto sync actually on?
    What home time are you using?
    Is the battery on low?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information