GXW-56 reiterating fog
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By Tetsu Tekubi

Thread: GXW-56 reiterating fog

GXW-56 reiterating fog

Hi guys, I hope I can find some precious help here. I bought this g shock from Hong Kong last December and wore it 24/7 (even when showering, I know this is stupid, but I thought that a 20 bar wr watch could handle it) for about 4 months. At that point I started noticing that fog appeared on the inner glass after not even so sudden temperature changes (like going outside in Spring in the morning with about 20 °C and a cool breeze) and exposure to sink cold water and that it took about 3 to 5 minutes for it to go away. I searched these forums around for solutions and decided to open the watch and dry it with an hairdryer, since it was out of warranty anyway. This seemed to diminish the fog, even though it was still present at times. Now, after having bathed with the watch at the sea for about 3 weeks (I washed it with normal water afterwards every time) the fog appears more frequently and is more persistent. What to do now? From what I gathered this is a common problem for g shocks and especially for this model, so I'm not sure that changing all the gaskets will solve the problem permanently, also because, if those had failed, I think that not just fog but water too would have come in. Am I condemned to dry the watch periodically until the screws of the case get loose because of usage? Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker.
    I attached a photo of the situation after a brief exposure to ice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: GXW-56 reiterating fog

The watch clearly is not properly sealed anymore.
    Of course its not easy to say which sealing failed.
    My first check would be the O-ring for the back plate.

The other o-rings are on the button stems and are harder to check or replace (but its possible).

Not watertight Casios are very uncommon (regardless the price).
    So its possible that somebody tinkered with it and damaged one of the sealings.
    Servus, Dxnnis and Ryanjeepguy like this.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

It looks like you’ve got a failed seal. The one on the back is fairly easy to check but look at it closely as any damage might be really tiny.
    Dxnnis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

its not a common problem on Gs but it does happen and your steps to fix it are correct however it seems you might have pinched the o ring in the process as that fogging is rather extreme. check the oring on the back first, id get a new one just to be safe, and apply some silicon grease. even if the ring is lightly damaged the grease will help with water resistance.
    i wouldnt worry about the orings on the buttons, extremely rare to hear theyve failed, in fact i dont think ive ever heard them failing.
    also, the screw holes will be fine if you dont over tighten them
    Dxnnis likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

OP, if you not sure about working on your G then WatchUP69 has just posted a YouTube vid about battery changes in which he renews the ‘O’ ring on the back.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys, I'll try to find some silicon grease and lubricate the o ring. If fog still appears, I'll have it serviced at the local Casio customer support center, since buying an o ring is quite expensive because of the delivery costs and I'm not sure that that is the real problem; I inspected it again and it seems quite good. IMHO, if silicone grease is not enough, the problem is somewhere else (maybe the o rings of the buttons, but I don't want to to touch those) and at that point I prefer to invest a little bit more and get a professional service. I'll report back asap.

I always wear my watch in the shower, in fact I normally put a watch on and don't take it off ideally for several months (I take it off only when I really have to). To me, this is the essence of G-shocks :D

Anyway, did this with DW-290 (200 m WR non-G) for 4 years, DW-9300 for 2 years, PRW-1500 for 4 years, never had a problem. I know guys who did this with PRW-1500 for 8+ years, GW-9100 for 7+ years, GW-7900 for 3 years, never had a problem.

When I bought GW-9300, after 1.5 years (in the autumn) I started having this problem but the fogging was not very strong (and showing only sometimes) so I was kind of living with it and ignoring it. After 2 more years it became worse so I decided to send the watch to service. They changed the gaskets and for a while it was all right but after some months (with cold weather) it appeared again.

With my newest watch GPR-B1000 I have the same problem, after some months the fogging was stronger and stronger, so I sent it to service and they changed the whole case (I had to pay for it as they said it was "damaged"). Now after some months when I am in a strong sunshine it seems some fogging is appearing from the inside again, but I am not quite sure. So let's see whether the problem develops again or not. Because Casio says some humidity from the inside, if it disappears quickly, is normal, but then one cannot be sure what it still normal and what is not.

Sometimes I think that the problems appear since when I moved to this new place where the water is very hard (there are lots of minerals in it / sediments from it) and maybe therefore also more aggresive to the gaskets than water in the places where I lived previously?

I was never thinking I would have a "beater" for daily showering as my philosophy simply was to wear my best watch all the time as this is what I always percepted as the essence of G-shock. But if this is going to be happening then I will have to re-evaluate.

I have to correct myself: the problems with GW-9300 started showing as early as several months after I bought it (I have now found an earlier post of myself where I was complaining about it 😄 ) – however, at the beginning it wasn't very strong and showing only at temperature changes so I was just "living with it" imagining it was "normal" (which for some time was possible but then it wasn't anymore)

by "re-evaluating" I mean re-evaluating the concept how I see G-Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by madman03 View Post
    I always wear my watch in the shower, in fact I normally put a watch on and don't take it off ideally for several months (I take it off only when I really have to). To me, this is the essence of G-shocks 😄

Anyway, did this with DW-290 (200 m WR non-G) for 4 years, DW-9300 for 2 years, PRW-1500 for 4 years, never had a problem. I know guys who did this with PRW-1500 for 8+ years, GW-9100 for 7+ years, GW-7900 for 3 years, never had a problem.

When I bought GW-9300, after 1.5 years (in the autumn) I started having this problem but the fogging was not very strong (and showing only sometimes) so I was kind of living with it and ignoring it. After 2 more years it became worse so I decided to send the watch to service. They changed the gaskets and for a while it was all right but after some months (with cold weather) it appeared again.

With my newest watch GPR-B1000 I have the same problem, after some months the fogging was stronger and stronger, so I sent it to service and they changed the whole case (I had to pay for it as they said it was "damaged"). Now after some months when I am in a strong sunshine it seems some fogging is appearing from the inside again, but I am not quite sure. So let's see whether the problem develops again or not. Because Casio says some humidity from the inside, if it disappears quickly, is normal, but then one cannot be sure what it still normal and what is not.

Sometimes I think that the problems appear since when I moved to this new place where the water is very hard (there are lots of minerals in it / sediments from it) and maybe therefore also more aggresive to the gaskets than water in the places where I lived previously?

I was never thinking I would have a "beater" for daily showering as my philosophy simply was to wear my best watch all the time as this is what I always percepted as the essence of G-shock. But if this is going to be happening then I will have to re-evaluate.
    Quote Originally Posted by madman03 View Post
    I have to correct myself: the problems with GW-9300 started showing as early as several months after I bought it (I have now found an earlier post of myself where I was complaining about it 😄 ) – however, at the beginning it wasn't very strong and showing only at temperature changes so I was just "living with it" imagining it was "normal" (which for some time was possible but then it wasn't anymore)

by "re-evaluating" I mean re-evaluating the concept how I see G-Shocks
    I'm starting to think that some models just suffer from these problems and that a high percentage of units sooner or later will display them, for example I read of many kings and mudmans that develop fogging. My best advice would be just not to buy them and go for a model with similar characteristics instead. Probably there are units that will never have the problem, but from what I've read on forums as watchuseek and reddit the risk is too high, especially if you are buying from abroad or if the return policy /customer support isn't great. Maybe also the fact that they are not assembled in Japan anymore has something to do with this.

As far as the main topic is concerned, if I find an o ring of the correct size from a local watchmaker but not officially licensed from casio, can I go for it or is it better just to buy original spare parts? I think that if the quality and the size are good, no problem should occur, it's just a round piece of rubber after all.

Lightbulb Re: GXW-56 reiterating fog

[QUOTE
    Of course its not easy to say which sealing failed.

Oh, but it is easy. Fill your sink with hot water and then dunk the watch and look carefully for bubbles from the source of the leak. If there's much of a leak it will show in a few seconds. Don't hold it under for more than 3 or 4 seconds. I've used this to check basic watertightness on many watches over the years and if you're careful to dry the watch as soon as you remove it from the water I've never had a watch fog up later. This has worked for me for over 50 years!!!
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. John Ruskin

MTG-900DA-8V
    W-S220C-4
    MRW-S310H
    GST-W310-1AER
    PAW-1100T-7V
    GW9400J-1JF
    AQ-S800WD-1EVCF
    W-S220
    AQ-S810W
    Casio Citizen Corso BM8452-99P
    Omega-Vintage (70's) G.F. Auto
    Elgin-German Silver PW-Manufactured 1896