A-HA! Er, no wait...

Thread: A-HA! Er, no wait...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A-HA! Er, no wait...

Somehow I didn't expect a whole lot of love from the community for the G-2310-1V, given the widespread preference for subdued (read: stealth) colorways on their G-Shocks. I however make no secret of my admiration for the 2310, as it continues to be visually striking in my eyes despite the presence of newer models; it was one of the first new Gs that caught my eye from way back. True, the shiny bezel tends to draw attention to itself, but at least it's the kind of polish that conveys undeniable strength as in stainless steel, unlike the gloss of insufferably cheap thrills as in diamond bling.

As it turns out, there’s a Casio AD near my new workplace, and even though I’m not exactly in the market for a new G right now, I was delighted to find the G-2310R-1D on their display window. I say delighted because it is physically identical to the 2310 right down to the colorway, although I did wonder about the “R” designation and whether or not the 2310R already had an auto calendar that goes all the way to 2099 (module 2184 on the G-2310 is only settable to 2039).

G-2310-1V:

G-2310R-1D:

Aesthetically one difference between the two models is the seemingly taller digits on the 2310R compared to the 2310. Then there’s the placement of certain button labels. Also, the power indicator on the 2310R has extra markings from the 2310. But probably the most obvious difference would be the omission of the Data Memory mark on the 2310R, proclaiming World Time in its place; an indication that it might indeed be using a variation of the 2310’s module.

I looked up both models online, and sure enough, the 2310R now uses module 3192 for a longer calendar range. But that’s not all; the new module also lasts longer on a full charge, removes the Databank function, increases the World Time to 31 cities, disables the button tones and does away with the Manual Sleep mode in favor of the Power Save feature which is now standard in newer Tough Solar models. I admit that I was somewhat disappointed at the last detail, since I’ve always wanted to experience the Manual Sleep feature for its novelty and the feeling of control it bestows on the wearer to turn off the display at will, whatever the location and prevailing condition. As a minor point, the use of F(ULL) and E(MPTY) marks on the 2310’s charge indicator evokes an impression of some futuristic fuel gauge, unlike the rather bland HIGH-MID-LOW indicators on the 2310R.

I’ll be turning a year older in five days, and for the first time in my life as a Shocker, two identical watches present a dilemma of sorts. Do I want to go for the re-issued model that's compromised (in my view) but conveniently within my reach, or should I stubbornly continue pining for the now hard-to-find original, flawed as it may be by today's standards? If it proves too much for me, I might settle for a pair of Merrells just in time for typhoon season.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Re: A-HA! Er, no wait...

Thanks for the info, I had spotted the new version.

It looks an interesting upgrade but I'd only buy one if they dispensed with that awful metal band on the bezel. It sadly makes a good watch look cheap.
    David
    Ω Speedmaster, Explorer 214270, Sub 16610, Seiko Shogun, Pepsi Turtle, PRS-29B
    Steinhart OVM, Citizens: Ray Mears 2 BN0151-09L & BN2017-02E,
    & far too many G-Shocks

I have the G-2310, really like it, much prefer it over the R model because it displays the year next to the date. Very cool model, I also have a few of the variants of this model, 4 total.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does the original 2310 model has the snooze feature ?
    Not an easy choice, if I liked it as much as you do, I would buy also the R model I think.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Very nice watch at a very nice price too. Shame you have a dilemna on your hands!

I keep looking at the GW-2310-1ER which is Tough Solar / Multiband 6 and available for £81 delivered in the UK - what a mad cheap price for such a well featured watch.

I would take the newer model, which is the only updated classic I really like.

I had a 2310 for some time and the display was a little muted. The newer crisper display is a significant improvement. I would also welcome the omission of the data bank which was a little clunky, and which I never used.

The metal inner bezel looks great on this model (the 2310 always looked smarter than the 2300 to my eyes). It doesn't cheapen the watch at all. If anything, it puts one in mind of the metal-cased G-2000.

Putting the 2310 to sleep manually was a nicely straightforward feature, but I wouldn't miss it.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

It's Your Birthday,

DON'T BE A CHEAPSKATE !!! ...

GET BOTH !!!

& By The Way ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!

Advance Happy Birthday bro.....

Get the other one and ask your wife to buy the other one for you

Happy Birthday, Bogeyman. It so happens that I have the original G-2310 with the 2184 module, which I am not really fond of. So, I can gladly send it to you as a birthday present. PM me if you're interested. That can make your dillemma easier.

here's the photo:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/frigo/4442361737/

@frigo,

I appreciate the offer, but before I could even make up my mind, the intended funds have already been diverted towards more urgent matters. And the limited auto calendar on the 2184 module still gnaws at me. Oh well, I could always count on a Christmas sale as a last resort.

@deggy,

Thanks, haha, but I wouldn't dare ask that of her; she already gave me a Targus backpack as a Father's Day/birthday present. My only hope lies in the separation pay from my previous job, and that might take a while considering the status of my clearances.

@reed,

Thanks, and how I wish I could.

@tribe,

I could always use the databank function as a mnemonic device for my civil duties i.e. social security number, tax identification and such, the way I do it on my DW-9051. And yes, the polished inner bezel certainly looks smart; I don't know why, but the Mitsubishi Shogun would always come to mind whenever I see the 2310. What probably compounds my problem is the classic curse of knowledge; the more I know about the watch, the harder it becomes to decide. I had it easier years ago when, blisfully ignorant of factors like modules and such, I fell in love with the 2310 based on looks alone, and it was all that mattered.

@dkpw,

I saw the G-2300F-4DR displayed next to the 2310R at the same store:

If I wasn't already sold on the 2310, it would have complemented my phone nicely:

DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information