Hand Home Question for GW3500B Owners
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BobmG8

Thread: Hand Home Question for GW3500B Owners

Question Hand Home Question for GW3500B Owners

I am interested in knowing if when the digital time displays between 00-09 seconds does your minute hand move to the minute marker or the next position after the minute marker on the dial? Mine always moves to the first position after the minute marker on the dial. This means that when the digital time displays between 50-59 seconds the hand is directly on the minute marker. So when the hourly chime strikes the hand moves off the 12 marker not on it which seems wrong to me. Does yours operate in the same manner? And yes I have manually and auto positioned my hands it still operates the same. Just something I have been curious about since owning this watch. BTW I can't take it off it is an awesome watch for the money.

Here is a picture at 50-59

Name:  DSC03479.JPG
Views: 874
Size:  79.4 KB

Here is a picture at 00-09

Name:  DSC03480.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  78.9 KB
    Omega Aqua Terra 15'000 GAUSS

Re: Hand Home Question for GW3500B Owners

I haven't looked at my watch as closely, but your one looks pretty normal... I've noticed the minute hand moves in small increments as the seconds tick. i.e. there isn't a big jump from one minute marker to the next, rather there are a series of smaller more gradual movements. So therefore what you're observing may be consistent with these small increments- maybe every 10 seconds/6 increments per minute (I'll need to check) or every 15 seconds/4 increments per minute...

Anyway, you could always check your home positions if something is off, all the hands should be pointing dead on at 12 :)

Mine is pointing minute marker at 00-09.
    Please excuse my imperfect English :)

MY SMALL COLLECTION @WATCHSHOCK: CLICK

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tretton View Post
    Mine is pointing minute marker at 00-09.
    That is exactly what I would expect, not like mine which is pointing at the minute marker at 50-59.

I can't tell you about the GW3500, and maybe you won't care about the ones I can, but... my Breitling Aerospace keeps the minute hand on the same minute marker, ON it, as displayed on the digital display, until the seconds reach thirty. Then the minute hand moves halfway to the next minute marker, until 00 seconds, at which point it moves to the next minute. So, the minute hand moves every thirty seconds. My Citizens moved every 20 seconds, similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I can't tell you about the GW3500, and maybe you won't care about the ones I can, but... my Breitling Aerospace keeps the minute hand on the same minute marker, ON it, as displayed on the digital display, until the seconds reach thirty. Then the minute hand moves halfway to the next minute marker, until 00 seconds, at which point it moves to the next minute. So, the minute hand moves every thirty seconds. My Citizens moved every 20 seconds, similarly.
    My Omega X-33 works just like your Breitling. It too only moves every 30 seconds and stays on the minute marker 00-29. Then it moves halfway between minute markers from 30-59. The GW3500B's hand moves in 10 second intervals.

Name:  DSC02789a.JPG
Views: 597
Size:  65.9 KB
    mitadoc likes this.

WOW! That is a nice shot of the Omega!

Thanks, I sent this watch off to MotorCity WatchWorks to have the titanium case bead blasted. That was January 19th. I can't wait to get it back. I miss it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post

WOW! That is a nice shot of the Omega!

Quote Originally Posted by BobmG8 View Post
    Thanks, I sent this watch off to MotorCity WatchWorks to have the titanium case bead blasted. That was January 19th. I can't wait to get it back. I miss it very much.
    THe X-33, along with Breitling Aerospaces and B-1's, are the only high-end watches I ever see on aviator's wrists. I'll occasionally see a Rolex on guys that have retired and are double-dipping. But I think I see more X-33's than anything.

I'm seeing the exact same behavior with my new GW-3500. The minute hand moves a 'tick' every 10 seconds, or 6 'ticks' per minute. From 00-09 seconds the minute hand should be dead on the minute marker, but is in fact advanced one 'tick' and is thus positioned just after the minute marker. It can be adjusted, but will reset itself every hour when the tough movement recalibrates.

The only fix for this is to open up the watch and manually adjust the minute hand. There is a post about this here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ins...00-558593.html
    But the poster doesn't go into tremendous detail about the adjustment. I'd love to know:

• How the hands are affixed to the rotating shaft/axle. Is this a toothed mechanism where the hand would need to be lifted clean off and repositioned, or is it just friction-based and the hand can be 'forced' to the correct position
    • What's the procedure for removing the movement from the casing?

Anyone who has some experience with this and can chime in would be appreciated.

Of course, one has to ask, how big of a deal is this? In practical terms it means nothing, but misaligned analog hands just rake my OCD!
    Last edited by Robbi Laurenson; July 19th, 2012 at 08:31. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information