Has anyone ever reversed display of GW5600 or any other solar atomic model?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Has anyone ever reversed display of GW5600 or any other solar atomic model?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone ever reversed display of GW5600 or any other solar atomic model?

I read the stickied thread on reversing the display but I had no idea a solar atomic GW5600J-1 would be a completely different beast than the garden variety DW5600 that the tutorial referenced. First there is a hard wired ribbon cable that I just got informed is the atomic time antenna.

Second I found the polarizing film is not peeling off even using an exacto or razor blade. All it is doing is scraping the film and trying to get underneath it the LCD starts bleeding and I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on it fearing of irreperable damage. Also hard to get any leverage since the ribbon cable is taught and I do not want to strain it and it is hanging out of the case and hard to do this without say a third hand, but still the film does not come off.

I have the watch apart now and will keep it open until I hear an answer as I already have the film and would really like to reverse the display of this well worn and well loved watch. I did the Buzzbait stealth of the bezel and the negative display would complete the look I am going for. Anyone that has successfully done this mod, please post here with exact details. Thanks.
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; June 26th, 2012 at 21:54.
    iamsupersam likes this.

Re: Has anyone ever reversed display of GW5600 or any other solar atomic model?

*** xxxx Bump xxxx ***
    xxxxxx

To anyone that can help? Buzzbait or Sjors can you advise please? Thanks.

I reversed the display on G5600, so no atomic, but I remember that removing the polarized film from the display was pain in the a**. The film supplied on the LCD was very stiff and I thought I would break the watch. As I was pulling it off, I almost gave up. The LCD was bleeding, but I pretty much tore up that film, so it was past the point of no return.
    After you take the film off, clean the LCD with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. It'll remove all the nasty glue.
    Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's the thing, in all of the tutorials I read, there is no mention of the LCD bleeding when even putting slight pressure with the blade. Is there any concensus on how much pressure is too much? With the atomic model GW5600 the antenna I guess IS the ribbon cable thing or it attaches to the antenna. Someone sent me a pic of the newer GWM5600 or 5610 and the copper colored ribbon or wire is self contained in the module itself and they were able to completely remove the module from the watch. I see no way of doing this with the GW5600. This paired with the polorizing film being what almost seems to be hermetically sealed/fused to the LCD display, there is no way to get enough leverage to remove the film safely as the module hangs precariously from the watch on that small ribbon putting strain on it in ways that I'm sure it was not designed to do.

Also yesterday I found this thread in my desperate search to find answers about my problem, searching this forum:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...y-g-19229.html

There is a picture of a module and the LCD screen was removed from it:

Is this possible to do on every type of module or just non solar and non atomic modules? If so then I guess it would be the safest way to remove the film, no?

I've turned my GW-6900 into a negative display, but there was no ribbon or any visible antenna. It was just like converting the DW-5600-1V.

Quote Originally Posted by tic-toc/g-shock View Post
    Also yesterday I found this thread in my desperate search to find answers about my problem, searching this forum:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...y-g-19229.html

There is a picture of a module and the LCD screen was removed from it:

Is this possible to do on every type of module or just non solar and non atomic modules? If so then I guess it would be the safest way to remove the film, no?
    I didn't take off the LCD screen, I just took off the film, and cleaned the surface with some Goof Off.

Hint to OP:

Always try to take sharp photos. Don't try to go too close as you'll get better results by taking the picture so that it is as sharp as possible and then zooming/cropping in Photoshop.

The more I read about the GW5600 and trying to find replacement parts, it seems it is it's own beast with not many parts from other models that interchange with it. No luck finding a factory bezel or band even and that should be easy since they are the most common replacement parts.

Again if anyone has successfully reversed the display of this particular GW5600 model please post back here. I am determined to do it. I did get my GW-M5600 today with 5 multiband and combi bracelet which I'm sure would be less of a headache to reverse but it is almost mint and I don't want to mess with it right now while it is still like a virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogAndDigital View Post
    I've turned my GW-6900 into a negative display, but there was no ribbon or any visible antenna. It was just like converting the DW-5600-1V.
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; June 27th, 2012 at 23:53.

I used macro with auto focus on the 8meg resolutiobn on my Galaxy SII phone. Weird thing is it is better resolution than my regular 3.2 megapixel digital camera Canon A490 but I get better pictures with the camera than the phone by far. On my camara I can set the camera within an inch or close without it getting blurry when taking macro shots. With my phone the closer I get it doesn't seem to focus as well, so you might be correct as far as not get so close and then zoom in afterwards via software.

Quote Originally Posted by Paapaa View Post
    Hint to OP:

Always try to take sharp photos. Don't try to go too close as you'll get better results by taking the picture so that it is as sharp as possible and then zooming/cropping in Photoshop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information