Have I made a good choice? AWG100R-1A

Thread: Have I made a good choice? AWG100R-1A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Have I made a good choice? AWG100R-1A

I saw this one on sale and just had to pick it up.

I always wanted a G-SHOCK, but I did not know whether I wanted to go all LCD.

Hopefully I made a good choice as I need a light beater (Seiko Kinetic Diver did not work out for me, too heavy).

How do these compare with mudmans in durability?

Thanks.
    Chronic flipper...

Re: Have I made a good choice? AWG100R-1A

Theoretically, a digital watch will be a little more robust than an analogue watch because there are fewer moving parts. However, all G-Shocks are sufficiently robust to cope with the treatment they are designed for.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Hpark,

I've had a AWG100-1A (non-reversed digital display) for some time now, and I think you'll be very pleased with yours. I've managed to knock into several doorjambs, random objects, etc. with some force (the main reason I wanted a G-shock in the first place). So far I've not put a single nick, scuff or scratch anywhere on it. As for impacting its function? Never in the slightest.

I also am enjoying the whole atomic/solar aspect. Never having to worry about whether the time is still accurate or whether the battery is running low is a new experience, and a pleasant one.

As for durability in comparison with a Mudman, I can't speak to that, as I currently don't own either the original or solar/atomic versions to make a comparison to the AWG100. It does have a raised metal bezel surrounded by further raised composite around the edges, so the face (usually the most vulnerable spot) feels very protected. The buttons aren't covered, though, so I would assume the resistance to infiltration by mud, sand or silt might be a bit less, but that's a guess. They are recessed, so they avoid scuffing or catching on clothing very nicely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Makes me feel much better now.

Of course, there was Mudman at EXACTLY same price hense asking.

Of course, at $53 shipped, maybe I should have gotten both and do not worry about it but I can not see myself needing 2 LCD/Quartz watches (Of course, it may change, you will never know)
    Chronic flipper...

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

no analog or ana-digi watch can hold up with an all-digital watch functionwise. the AWG-1xx models are not bad but they lack a useful illumination and they also only have a 60min CDT/STW. trust me, in the end you will get an all-digital sooner or later anyway (sooner is my bet on).

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    I can not see myself needing 2 LCD/Quartz watches
    Nonsense! You can never have enough of those, especially if they're G-Shocks.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    no analog or ana-digi watch can hold up with an all-digital watch functionwise. the AWG-1xx models are not bad but they lack a useful illumination and they also only have a 60min CDT/STW. trust me, in the end you will get an all-digital sooner or later anyway (sooner is my bet on).

regards, holger
    What useful illuminaton is it lacking?

The feature included "LED Light with Afterglow"

Now, which part does it light up?
    Chronic flipper...

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    What useful illuminaton is it lacking?

The feature included "LED Light with Afterglow"

Now, which part does it light up?
    What holger means is that an LED light won't be as bright as an EL backlight, which is the type of illumination found on the all-digital G-Shocks. EL backlights illuminate the display uniformly, unlike LEDs.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; April 21st, 2009 at 16:48.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    What holger means is that an LED light won't be as bright as an EL backlight, which is the type of illumination found on the all-digital G-Shocks.
    None of my current (most of my future) watches do not have much in terms of night reading capability at all, so even a little bit of LED light will be good enough.

Of course, I am currently trying to stop myself from going back to the USWatches.com site and getting that mudman. (it has only been 1/2 hour since I bought my first g-shock, stop me...)

I can see how it would be addicting to get a lot of G-shocks when these guys are sale, it is about 1/2 the price of a diver strap that I have. I can sell a strap and buy 2 of these, it is like getting candy. Man.. Must Stop Pressing that "Add to Cart" button......................
    Chronic flipper...

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

what i actually meant is, that the LED illuminates the hands rather poor (i often need 2-3 attempts to be able telling the time) and that the digital parts of the watch are not illuminated at all, therefore remain in darkness.

even a suboptimal conventional lume on an all-analog watch is better than this in my opinion, the best of course is a H3 watch with tritium vials.

an all-digital watch is illuminated entirely and very easy to read at night. especially the G-9000 mudman series is very good at this, you can set the el-duration for either 3 or 5 seconds.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information