Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) into wearing G's?
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) into wearing G's?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Off Topic post Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) into wearing G's?

None of my family members are WIS, no surprise. But they like the G's I introduced. ;)

Name:  familyofGs2.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  133.6 KB
    (My sister modeling the G's).

My sister owns the red DW-6900, which I couldn't bond with. She loves the piece and wears it to work as a registered nurse. She says she gets lots of compliments from patients and colleagues.
    My father owns the Muddy and wore it while performing maintenance on a Navy supply ship for about a year. He told me it's been worn while tinkering with missiles. I'm not sure I believe him.
    My mother owns the pink Baby-G, Married to the Mob LE. It was formerly my sister's.
    And, of course, I own the GW-5000. :)
    Last edited by Ottovonn; February 28th, 2014 at 23:54.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) into wearing G's?

hehe good topic this one!

I gave my little sister a Baby-G when I visited a few months back and she has been wearing it ever since...
    (had done some market research before, checking out websites and catalogues with her, memorizing which models she liked.
    then it was a 100% success... happy!)

Name:  IMG_8978-2-800-2.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  180.9 KB

Re: Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) into wearing G's?

A buddy of mine was NOT a "watch guy" until he saw my (first) GW-6900 on a Zulu strap -- he claimed he never liked G's because of the resin straps trapping perspiration and water underneath, but after seeing mine he wanted one for himself, especially after hearing about the solar and atomic features. He was also surprised that with a little careful shopping, one can be had with "stock adapters" and a Zulu strap for less than the MSRP of $130.

A few months later, one of HIS friends noticed his watch because of the strap and started asking questions about it. My buddy gave me the money to buy the components to quietly build one in time for his friend's birthday, and right now the watch and new strap are sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for the adapters to arrive in the mail.

It's a slow spread of G-Shock interest, not a virus-like exponential infection, but it's spreading nonetheless!
    Ottovonn, James142 and Chrisek like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why don't I understand the appeal of G's? Can you enlighten me as to why they're a favourite? Not an insult, just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Off Topic post Re: Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) into wearing G's?

Quote Originally Posted by franken21 View Post
    Why don't I understand the appeal of G's? Can you enlighten me as to why they're a favourite? Not an insult, just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's kind of hard to explain. I got hooked into the hobby about three years ago when I got my first mechanical. Collected Seiko's mostly. I had never owned a G-shock and until last year, never cared for them. I didn't hate them; I just ignored them. When I received the GW-5000 (bought it on a whim expecting to flip it within a week) I gradually came to appreciate the durability and comfort of the piece; it wasn't love at first sight.

I had just sold my most expensive piece, the Seiko MM300, a grail among many Seiko fans, because it was losing time, the crown was threaded and that left a somewhat sour taste regarding luxury pieces. Granted it was an older watch -- I had bought it at the ripe age of 12 -- but now I'm more selective when it comes to mechanicals. They must be near brand new when bought and can be easily serviced.

With the GW-5000, an uncommon model that's more expensive than most G's, I get exclusivity, premium build quality with the durability of a G-shock in an understated package. That led to me trying on other G-shocks after doing more research. It's certainly fun considering the wide variety of models. Watches I never thought I'd like are now on my wish list. I generally prefer 38-42 mm watches, but G-shocks allow me to explore larger, bolder watches without the heaviness that generally comes with them.

So, in a nutshell, I like the variety and style options, but mostly like the convenience, comfort and lack of maintenance inherent in G-shocks. It's a relief not worrying about bumping a watch into a wall or dropping it. Others may have a variety of perspectives, but I think we can all agree that G-shocks are just pretty damn cool.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; March 1st, 2014 at 00:38.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by franken21 View Post
    For less than $100, I can buy a watch that should never require any sort of internal servicing besides replacing the battery, and at best estimates THAT shouldn't be needed for ten or twenty years. The battery recharges via solar power, so I can use the light and alarms as much as I want to, without worrying about draining the battery, and the watch itself is always accurate within a half-second of the atomic clock in Colorado. Newer solar/atomic G's also have a stopwatch "complication," a countdown timer, and multiple alarms.

It's hard to imagine all of those features in any sort of non-quartz watch at any price, but G's are also effectively waterproof for any activities I'm ever going to subject them to, and shockproof to the point where I'll hurt myself long before I'll hurt the watch if it's on my arm, which essentially makes it "lifeproof." I don't have to worry about mud, dust, sand, dirt, vibration, heat, or cold -- the first four will wash right off and (probably) won't scratch the crystal.

Sure, the strap may wear out eventually like any other watch, but that falls under "routine maintenance" like changing a car's tires -- and any other cosmetic damages the watch MIGHT suffer will probably be on the $10 bezel that I can replace myself with a small screwdriver.

It's a lot of technology for a comparatively low price, in a rugged casing that's utilitarian, not flashy. Most G's aren't designed to impress anybody else, they're just designed to be extremely functional, affordable timepieces.

got my wife wearing G's, this is her collection, but we share everything:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00630.JPG 
Views:	671 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	1402444

just like how I had a G-Shock as a kid, my sister had a baby-g as a kid.. she has 3 baby-g's now. she wears the lover's collection black baby-g 6900 to work:

Name:	22.JPG 
Views:	771 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1402454

and i've gotten like 3-4 friends into G's as well. They have about 1 or 2..

I guess I'm always so pumped about them, it's infectious and spreads to everyone else as well.. lol lucky to have a wife who supports and enjoys collecting G's as well, makes life easier.

My Dad used to wear a 5600c a while back. I mentioned to him "hey, you should start wearing a gshock again" to which he replied, "nah, I got no use for it."

Then the other day he was cooking something and needed a timer. He asked me "hey can you set the timer on you gshock?"

Funny how that works :)

So I'll say it again... the whole automatic, Swiss this and that, movement/complication something or other is all very nice but sooner or later every man realizes he needs at least one G-Shock.
    Sengyoku, Iyonk and nigelw like this.

My wife does not understand my obsession, but supports my right to love G's just the same...lol. As far as converting family members...my Dad wears a G and is 65 years old now....he loves it! I put his on a cloth strap with a velcro closure, which he loves.

Not sounding corny but G's truly are a part of who I am! I have always worn them and I always will, there is simply no doubt about that. If I were to leave home without my G-Shock on and a Leatherman tool in my pocket....I wouldn't be myself all day long!
    Redcrow likes this.
    Casio G, Not just a watch, but a way of life.

Have you successfully converted your family, friends, significant other(s) in...

Quote Originally Posted by starscream View Post
    got my wife wearing G's, this is her collection, but we share everything:

Name:	DSC00630.JPG 
Views:	671 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	1402444

just like how I had a G-Shock as a kid, my sister had a baby-g as a kid.. she has 3 baby-g's now. she wears the lover's collection black baby-g 6900 to work:

Name:	22.JPG 
Views:	771 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1402454

and i've gotten like 3-4 friends into G's as well. They have about 1 or 2..

I guess I'm always so pumped about them, it's infectious and spreads to everyone else as well.. lol lucky to have a wife who supports and enjoys collecting G's as well, makes life easier.
    Lovely pics starscream / lovely post
    Last edited by Deepsea_dweller; March 1st, 2014 at 03:37.
    starscream likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information