Having a hard time

Thread: Having a hard time

Having a hard time

You would think with all the protrek/pathfinder vs vector/x-lander/core posts on WUS that I would be able to come to a conclusion but Im having a very hard time. I want to order an ABC watch to arrive before the 2nd of October b/c I'm going on a camping trip. I thought it would be easy. I have no problems dropping the money for the Core, but Im wondering if it is worth the price difference. Ive looked at Vectors (ruled it out), Mil X-landers (still in the running, though I have to admit only b/c of aesthetics) and the PAW1300's.
    In the real world if you got caught out in the wild, lost for a few days, which would be your watch? With the Core you gain a storm alarm. Is this something innovative and much needed, or could you determine an incoming storm yourself simply by looking at the baro graph trends on the other watches? You also gain a sunrise/sunset function that could be handy in knowing how much daylight you have left to find shelter etc. Finally You gain a depth meter (not really that useful IMO, but neat nevertheless).
    With the PAW-1300 you start with better water resistance (not that necessary, its not a dive watch). Its solar. I would think this would be a huge advantage, I mean, what if your Suunto battery goes dead in the wild? Its atomic. Again, I feel like people think atomic is not important, but in the outdoors while messing with your watch you COULD mess up and accidently change the time while trying to access other functions. If your watch was atomic, you could correct it. If it wasnt atomic, well, you would need another watch. It costs about 160$ less than the black/orange Core Im considering.
    The mil X-lander doesnt really do anything special above the other two, it just looks sweet which is probably why I will not buy it. I just cant buy an ABC watch on looks alone although I would like to have one of these in my collection when I want to just "look the part."
    Im hoping some good live pictures of the Core's will be flowing by next week along with some reviews from WUS owners. If you have any info to add please do, I need help deciding and I cant think of a better place to turn to. Gonna post this in the Suunto forum as well, see what kind of response I get.
    "He who controls others is powerful. He who masters himself is stronger still."
    I HATE bracelets.

Re: Having a hard time

Of the factors you've mentioned, I was most persuaded by the 'atomic' one.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Suppose you get lost somewhere in the wilderness where you can't pick up a signal? I'd take a back-up watch even if my main one was atomic, if I was concerned about it getting messed up in any way.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess for serious survival (backup) reasons, I'd probably go for the more accurate one (which ever that is). Storm alarm could be important if you're sleeping, near a water course or climbing for example. If it's more for general awareness of weather parameters, a lot of people rate the 1300 best ever for Casio Pathys.

Another issue is legibility, although both brands seem good for that. How easy to read is the reverse orange Core display anyone? It looks pretty swish.

The other significant comparisons for me are dimensions (don't want a bulky watch to snag on scorpions and taipans ) and 'toughness' in outdoorsy conditions. You don't want to baby a watch when camping. Anyone compared these traits?

Thread Information