Head Spinning
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Head Spinning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Head Spinning

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum but I've lurked for awhile. I'm looking to purchase my first G shock but the variety of models is making it tough. A few things I'm looking for is one that is under $200, with a compass, and atomic clock would be great but isn't a deal breaker. I work a desk job but when hunting season starts I'll be in the woods a lot. One of the models I'm pretty interested in is the g9300. Please list a few suggestions the lower the cost the better.

Thank you

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: Head Spinning

Welcome to the forum. There was a thread about G-Shocks with compasses started just recently. As you can see, there haven't been many with a compass feature so you helped narrow down the choices quite a bit. The G-9300 is reported to be an excellent watch and a lot of people post about liking it. As for price, I would give yourself a little leeway because a little extra $$ to get what you want is almost always worth it.

There's also the Protrek/Pathfinder line, but then run more expensive than what you've budgeted for (although used examples can fall within it).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Wink Re: Head Spinning

Frankly I would say that the G-9300 is quite an interesting model in your price range. I have got one about a month ago and I have been wearing it a lot. Not too big, not too small, very comfortable strap and good functions and a pretty serious look.

I have written a kind of review of it a few weeks ago on 50 GS:

50 Gs

Kind regards,

Sjors

XxMACCAxX and xevious like this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the quick replies. If I decided to drop the compass feature what other models would you recommend? I rather gain the atomic feature over having solar if need be. Again I appreciate the assistance.

I do like the Mudman models but I rather have more options, I can always use a handheld compass.

I've looked also at the Pathfinder series but keep getting drawn back to the G Shocks.

the Protrek/Pathfinder line the 240 is were my money is . it has :
    • Tough Solar Power
    • Digital Compass
      Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
      Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
      Measuring unit: 1 degree
    • Altimeter
      Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
      Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
      Auto memory measurements
      Altimeter Memory
      Manual memory measurements (up to 25 records, each including altitude, date, time)
      Auto memory measurements (High altitude, Low altitude memory, Total ascent, Total descent)
      Others: Reference altitude setting, Altitude graph, Altitude differential
    • Barometer
      Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
      Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
      Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
      Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
    • Thermometer
      Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
      Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
      Sunrise/Sunset Data
      Displays sunrise time and sunset time for a specific date, Daylight pointers
    • 100M Water Resistant
    • Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
    • Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
    • Duplex LCD
    • World Time
    • 31 times zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
    • 5 Daily Alarms
    • Hourly Time Signal
    • 1/100 second stopwatch
      Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
      Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
    • Full Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    • Countdown Timer
      Measuring unit: 1 second
      Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
    • 12/24 Hour Formats
    • Button operation tone on/off
    • Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
    • Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
    • Battery Power Indicator
    • Power Saving Function
    • Approx. battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
    • Module 3246

Size of case/total weight
    PAG240 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm / 65.4g
    PAG240B 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm / 64.2g
    PAG240T 57.3 X 50.9 X 15.3mm / 111.4g

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Not too big, not too small
    It's with some trepidation that I make this post: Arguing with Sjors about G-Shocks is a bit like arguing with Bruce Lee about karate... Nevertheless I am inclined to inject a note of caution here; the 9300 is probably a little big for some people (including me). I'd put it in the category of 'try before you buy' when it comes to being sure about a suitable fit/look.
    iamsupersam likes this.

Rev320, when is your hunting season? If you are needing the watch to fit under tighter cuffs (bigger jackets) then one of the squares could work very well for you (5600 or 5610). If your hunting season is during warmer months, then the gw7900 could be another option for you.
    Off the top of my head, solar and atomic limits you really quickly for that kind of price point.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    Rev320, when is your hunting season? If you are needing the watch to fit under tighter cuffs (bigger jackets) then one of the squares could work very well for you (5600 or 5610). If your hunting season is during warmer months, then the gw7900 could be another option for you.
    Off the top of my head, solar and atomic limits you really quickly for that kind of price point.
    My hunting season starts in September and ends in January. Having the watch under my coveralls in the colder months shouldn't be an issue as the cuffs have some stretchy material.

I've considered the Riseman GW9200 in my list of possible options. I do like the barometer feature included in that model. One of the concerns I have though is getting possible corrosion after getting blood on it from field dressing the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post

I have written a kind of review of it a few weeks ago on 50 GS:

50 Gs

Kind regards,

Sjors

Well, if that's a 'kind of review', I'd love to see a proper one!! It's amazingly detailed with some excellent detailed photographs. Can't believe you've never used the 'snooze' function as you don't really understand it? I use it all the time - it sounds every 5 minutes from the set alarm time for a total of 30 minutes. To silence it, I simply press the top left button till I hear it beep (it's usually dark when I do it)...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Well, if that's a 'kind of review', I'd love to see a proper one!! It's amazingly detailed with some excellent detailed photographs. Can't believe you've never used the 'snooze' function as you don't really understand it? I use it all the time - it sounds every 5 minutes from the set alarm time for a total of 30 minutes. To silence it, I simply press the top left button till I hear it beep (it's usually dark when I do it)...
    I can't believe a G-Shock can wake you up! Seriously, they're all too faint to rustle me out of slumber, except for the SGW-200 and G-3010 *if* I'm lightly sleeping.

Rev320, these are G-Shocks. They're meant to be coated with all kinds of crud and pounded to hell and back, yet still function. I wouldn't be worried about messing one up. However, if you're going to dip your wrist into the cavity of a freshly killed animal while wearing a G-Shock, you might want to don a low profile one (like a 5600) with few nooks to catch blood and entrails (difficult to remove from most anything).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information