Heat Resist - Solar Frogman Charging Fiasco

Thread: Heat Resist - Solar Frogman Charging Fiasco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heat Resist - Solar Frogman Charging Fiasco

So this morning, I took one of my GW-200's out of storage and put it on to wear. A few seconds later - poof - the "low battery" indicator started blinking and the time display turned off. Fair enough. It had been in that box for a good 2 months at least.

Long story short, I put the watch under a 100W worklamp before I left for work at 8:00am.

At 5:00pm, I got home and picked up the watch. The strange thing is that the display was completely black. "Strange", I thought. I pressed the buttons on the watch. Beep, beep - that worked. Then I touched the back of the watch with my fingers and nearly burned myself. I touched the crystal and it was also burning hot!

I would guess that the temperature of the watch was around 150 degrees fahrenheit or more. I'm not sure what temperature is required to turn the LCD totally black, but it was darn hot.

So, I quickly ran the watch under cold water, all the while thinking, "Great, I just destroyed a Frogman. Maybe I can fix the LCD or CASIO can fix it for me." However, about 20 seconds under the tap later, the watch display reappeared and about 10 seconds later was good as new!

So now it's 11:19pm and the watch has full battery bars and is still working perfectly. Unbelievable! I was very impressed. Heat resist indeed! My arm might get burned off but the Frog will still remain.

Re: Heat Resist - Solar Frogman Charging Fiasco

Yup, I did the same thing with my PRG-80YT. Black PVD titanium + hours of direct sunlight = one hot watch! I was afraid I had destroyed it too, but just like your watch it was just fine after some cold water. That was a few years ago - no problems since. Hopefully your Frog will be the same too.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Helpful to know in case any of us want to go scuba diving on a volcanic vent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Picture Re: Heat Resist - Solar Frogman Charging Fiasco

Anything much more than 60C (140F) and the display will begin to discolour

Best bet with solars is just to expose them to normal lighting conditions, they will gradually recharge when you think about it there is no real rush to see all the battery indicator bars full soon as possible and on a technical note, rapidly discharging the cell will reduce lifecycle.

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; July 7th, 2010 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    Anything much more than 60C (140F) and the display will begin to discolour

Best bet with solars is just to expose them to normal lighting conditions, they will gradually recharge when you think about it there is no real rush to see all the battery indicator bars full soon as possible and on a technical note, rapidly discharging the cell will reduce lifecycle.

Q-6

Agreed Both extreme cold and heat are bad for batteries and will reduce cell life. I read where someone that put his G next to a window put it in a glass of water to keep it cool. That might be the best choice for quick charging.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

When I got my first solar powered G, a GW-M5600, I placed it directly under the sun with intention to charge it from M to H. It was late morning and it was a sunny day, but I did not realize how hot it could get. After lunch, I came back to the watch to check the charge level and I got the same thing... the watch was incredibly hot and the screen was blank. I thought the same... that I just burned out a new watch. But after some fiddling with the buttons plus some cooling down in the shade, the screen came back.

And I burnt my wrist by the hot metal caseback too.

Quote Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
    So this morning, I took one of my GW-200's out of storage and put it on to wear. A few seconds later - poof - the "low battery" indicator started blinking and the time display turned off. Fair enough. It had been in that box for a good 2 months at least.

Long story short, I put the watch under a 100W worklamp before I left for work at 8:00am.

At 5:00pm, I got home and picked up the watch. The strange thing is that the display was completely black. "Strange", I thought. I pressed the buttons on the watch. Beep, beep - that worked. Then I touched the back of the watch with my fingers and nearly burned myself. I touched the crystal and it was also burning hot!

I would guess that the temperature of the watch was around 150 degrees fahrenheit or more. I'm not sure what temperature is required to turn the LCD totally black, but it was darn hot.

So, I quickly ran the watch under cold water, all the while thinking, "Great, I just destroyed a Frogman. Maybe I can fix the LCD or CASIO can fix it for me." However, about 20 seconds under the tap later, the watch display reappeared and about 10 seconds later was good as new!

So now it's 11:19pm and the watch has full battery bars and is still working perfectly. Unbelievable! I was very impressed. Heat resist indeed! My arm might get burned off but the Frog will still remain.
    What a close shave!

This has happened to me the last 4 or 5 times I've had to charge a Frogman. Quick recovery every time.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
    So, I quickly ran the watch under cold water
    IMO the rapid change of temperature would cause more damage than the heat did (or could).

In the User Manual of my Protrek PRG-200, there is the following note:

"Important!
    Allowing the watch to become very hot can cause its liquid crystal display to black out. The appearance of the LCD should become normal again when the watch returns to a lower temperature."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information