Hello!
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hello!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hello!

I haven't visited this forum for a while, but for the first time in years, I've bought a G-Shock.

G-Shocks allowed me to become a watch enthusiast - they were cheap enough that I didn't have to feel guilty about owning more than one or two watches. When I first came to the G-Shock forum, the forum favourite was the G-2310, the waveceptor watches were in their first generation with the GW-300 and GW-500, and the DW-6900 was thought of as a big watch.

Like many before me, I went looking for the perfect G-Shock. Naturally, this led to a steady stream of parcels arriving at my door for several years... Generally, I liked the simple models with 5600-type functions, but couldn't resist a few novelties along the way. At different times, my favourites included the DW-5600E, G-5600, G-2310, DW-9052, G-8000, GW-9100, GW-2500B and the 6900 that I cooked up following Buzzbait's recipe. Ultimately, I did find my perfect G-Shock - the G-2000.

And that was that. My interest shifted to conventional analogue watches and it's been a couple of years since I thought about G-Shocks.

Recently, I've been doing some decorating. At the end of one day, while scraping with my thumbnail at some paint spots on my Wempe, I thought: 'I should be wearing a cheap plastic watch, really...' My G-Shocks were gone. I still owned the G-2000, but it was in another country. Then a thought... I looked in a drawer, not sure if I still had it, but there it was - the DW-290 that had cost about the same as a round of drinks - still alive, still telling more or less the right time.

The DW-290 isn't a G-Shock, but putting it on and pressing the buttons brought it all back. The little 'chirrup' moving from mode to mode, the feel of the resin, the precision of the digits, the simple but funky practicality... Some part of my affection for G-Shocks was, like the half-forgotten DW-290, still functioning.

I was out of date with G-Shocks. I had noticed new models in shop windows but they all seemed to be huge. I was aware of the 'RAF' Aviator. I had seen some fashion makeovers of the 6900.

I went to the Casio website to do a bit of catching up: Casio's 'classic' category included waveceptor models, where once it would have been populated with 'DWs'; there were two new basic models - the GR-8900 and the GD-350; there were some new sensor models; there was a whole squadron of Aviators. I purposely didn't do any research in the G-Shock forum because I didn't want to know how the current models were perceived. I still haven't read any reviews of the newer models.

The new basic models were too big for me (and the GD-350, which could have been great, had the unfinished look of a prototype). Some of the Aviator models, as well as being too big, were seriously expensive. Casio still hadn't made a truly successful update of the 5600E - or a modern alternative to it. The price of the 5600E in Europe was still hard to fathom. Below £100, there wasn't much to choose from, beyond the venerable basic models that I had already owned.

It was interesting going through the catalogue, re-familiarising myself with the model numbers, remembering what I liked and didn't like about various models, but it was also a bit disappointing. It was tempting to think that Casio had spent several years thinking about analogue models, and about five minutes thinking about digital models.

There was just one watch, regardless of price, that was right for me - the GW-2310. Having more or less convinced myself that I needed a G-Shock again, I found one at half-price and bought it.
    nigelw, Chrisek, alexs12 and 6 others like this.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Re: Hello!

But here's the thing. After placing my order I did an image search for some 'real life' pictures. Amongst the results was a black-and-white picture that looked a bit like the pictures I produce. Hang on... that's my wrist, isn't it? And that's the sleeve of my jacket... I didn't remember the picture, but Google must have mistakenly turned up a picture of my old G-2310.

I clicked on the thumbnail for a closer look at the watch. On the display, just above the seconds, was 'RCVD'.

Seconds passed. More seconds. But that means 'atomic' and the G-2310 wasn't atomic... More seconds. But that means...

Rarely has a realisation dawned so slowly. Here we are - Christmas 2010 -

I've somehow merged the G-2310 and GW-2310 in my memory, filing both under 'G-2310'. I have no recollection whatsoever of owning a GW-2310, even with the photographic evidence in front of me. I suspect I owned it briefly, selling it when a G-2000 popped up on a sales forum.

I'm now doubly interested to see my ‘new’ watch - it should be here tomorrow.

And you know what they say about old people living in the past and not knowing what they had for breakfast.
    nigelw, Chrisek, Ottovonn and 1 others like this.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

O
    MY
    GOD!

He's back ladies and gentlmen!

Welcome back Tribe. You've been missed around here...

An not I'm not supprised one bit at your conclusions. I can't think of a single model that your wierd (in a good way) mind would like.

Well ... except maybe one... you're perfect candidate for GW-5000... yea... it's out of the budget but I think you'd appricate it...

Are you still living by your what was it? never more than 9 watch rule? Can't remember...
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome back Tribe! Sound decision-making process indeed. Good thing you didn't order something that you actually still have in your possession! Hate when that happens!
    Chrisek and Deepsea_dweller like this.

Hello Duke!

Yes, I still stick to (around) ten watches. More than that and I can't cope.

The GW-5000 is indeed a fine thing - but not at over £300. With an ordinary case back and a price of £100, I might have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    Welcome back Tribe!

Hello Jon!

It is nice to be back, actually...

Great story, and welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The GW-5000 is indeed a fine thing - but not at over £300. With an ordinary case back and a price of £100, I might have it.
    If by "ordinary case back" you mean "held on with 4 small screws like almost every other current G-Shock" Casio has already built it for you: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/gshock/gw-m5610-1er/

Solar, atomic, all the same features, minus the screwback and DLC coating -- and with a little careful shopping, you can get it for just over $100 USD, which is a lot less than £100!

Welcome back, Tribe.

Like you, I had been G-SHOCK-less for a while and suddenly had a notion that I needed one again. I was all set to buy another DW-5600E ("everything else is just gravy"), when I spotted a deal on amazon for a GW-M5610 for less.

Been browsing the forum again to catch up with all that's new in this world.
    Sjors likes this.

Hi Tribe. Yes, your GW2310 is legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    If by "ordinary case back" you mean "held on with 4 small screws like almost every other current G-Shock" Casio has already built it for you: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/gshock/gw-m5610-1er/

Good suggestion, but I don't like 'em.

I bought one when they first appeared, but the display looks cramped compared to the 5600E and there's too much (brightly coloured) writing below the display.

For me, the G-5600 was a better update - especially this green one -

The G-5600E was also very good, but only synced in Japan and the USA. I would probably be happy with one of those if they brought it back with 6 bands.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information