help with Atomic 6 in doors does it need to be in a window seal while sleeping? GW4000-1A

Thread: help with Atomic 6 in doors does it need to be in a window seal while sleeping? GW4000-1A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help with Atomic 6 in doors does it need to be in a window seal while sleeping? GW4000-1A

Hey guys i am new to this forum and want to tell everyone hi
    i have just purchased a GW4000-1A Aviation Series
    i live in hayward california, if you don't know where that is i am basically by oakland / san francisco bay area

so my question is

i have only had my watch for about 25 hours now
    when i first got the watch i manually did a atomic time set which was around 10:00 pm?
    but last night i figured it would do a automatic atomic update while i was sleeping. i know in the manual it says to put it by a window when you take it off but my headboard blocks the window
    i left my watch on my night stand but it did not do a update is it a must for your watch to be by a window??? or do you guys get away with it not being by the window

or do you have to wait 24 hours before it does a automatic update? when you manually did it

Thanks guys and sorry to bother every one

have a good day guys!
    Last edited by MesaMitch; August 30th, 2012 at 08:47.

Re: help with Atomic 6 in doors does it need to be in a window seal while sleeping? GW4000-1A

I'm not sure about the 24hr waiting period. to be honest i have around 10 atomic watches, I haven't tried with all of them, but a manuel sync has never been successful for me. Also leaving the watches by the window doesn't guarantee a sync every night. I've had my watches sync in weird situations probably more than normal situations. To be honest, most of my watches sync once or maybe a little more per week, by just sitting in a closed (see through glass top) watch box, sitting on my bureau, not pointing towards the window....but if I were you, keep it by the window in your bedroom for a couple nights, and if it still hasn't synced, I would move it to a different part of the house, facing another direction. Also, the weather from what I've been told, is a big variable in these things. The clearer it is out at night, the better chance for a sync.

PS - congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum! :)

Re: help with Atomic 6 in doors does it need to be in a window seal while sleeping? GW4000-1A

Willylix Thanks!
    i figured it just synced up every night

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WillyLix
    And thanks for the quick response dude did not think I was going to get a response that fast lol

haha....i'm up late and bored....caught me a good time. But honestly, it is possible for your watch to sync every night, and also not for a week straight. it really depends on your location and perhaps the watch itself (but i doubt that). don't worry, give this thread about 8-10 hours, and you will have a ton of information on here, i bet.
    i'm going to sleep. goodnight, and again, welcome to the forum!

I have only one Atomic, and it's the GW500A. (I wear my watch to bed - I'm so nearsighted that I can't read the digital alarm clock on my nightstand, so if I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder what time it is I just look at my watch.) As long as I'm home, my watch synchs every night - usually at 4:03 AM or 5:03 AM - while I'm wearing it. I sleep in an east-facing bedroom, and I live in Kentucky southeast of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The only time I've had my watch NOT synch was when I was on a business to the east coast, and I figured I was just too far from Fort Collins, CO.

Maybe mountains are masking the signal?

I also live in the East Bay (Alameda County) and the key (for me) is to make the sure the watch is pointing East (i.e., the 12 o'clock marker needs to be East with the crown pointing South). If the watch is oriented in this way it syncs everytime; if it isn't it doesn't sync.

John

Hey Mesa...always good to see a fellow SF Bay Area person on the forums. I'm in San Mateo.

I have 6 Atomic Casio's and they all sync every night like clockwork. However, they will not sync at certain parts of my house. Best advice I can give you is you may want to experiment and try different locations in your house to see what spot is the best for your watch to receive the signal.

I gave the same advice to my dad who lives in the Richmond District in San Francisco. He has an MTG1000. And he found the one spot where the signal is good in his house was on his first floor kitchen widow sill facing East. You'd think a window sill facing East on the 2nd floor would be better but it wasn't. Go figure. Just really trial an error.

Good luck. Be warned though, when you start seeing the sync indicator in the morning everyday...you start getting addicted to the fact that you Gs are syncing every night and are spot on accurate. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I also live in the East Bay (Alameda County) and the key (for me) is to make the sure the watch is pointing East (i.e., the 12 o'clock marker needs to be East with the crown pointing South). If the watch is oriented in this way it syncs everytime; if it isn't it doesn't sync.

John
    I never knew that. Thanks for that piece of info. I'm gong to try that tonight.

Mine will only sync if it is closed in my watch box. Tried different windows/positions and gave up. Started just putting if away like any other watch and it syncs perfectly every night now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information