Help with A Casio G-Shcok watch Error

Thread: Help with A Casio G-Shcok watch Error

Help with A Casio G-Shock watch Error

Hello guys,
    This is my first post on the forum, which is pretty awsome for someone such as my self who lives by watches! I hope this is the correct place to ask for some help.
    I purchased a Casio PRG-80 a couple years back. I woke up this morning and the top field which usually displays the date says "OP en". None of the buttons are working. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks you,
    Gatornumber1
    Last edited by gatornumber1; November 10th, 2007 at 15:56. Reason: Typo in Title

Re: Help with A Casio G-Shock watch Error

Quote Originally Posted by gatornumber1 View Post
    Hello guys,
    This is my first post on the forum, which is pretty awsome for someone such as my self who lives by watches! I hope this is the correct place to ask for some help.
    I purchased a Casio PRG-80 a couple years back. I woke up this morning and the top field which usually displays the date says "OP en". None of the buttons are working. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks you,
    Gatornumber1
    It means "OPEN", which implies that it thinks that the back of the watch is not attached.

If I recall correctly, the PRG-80 has a couple of little springs inside that make contact with the back plate. If those springs are missing, then the watch thinks that the back plate is missing.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I don't know why it would suddenly do this on its own if you haven't unscrewed the back plate, however.

Re: Help with A Casio G-Shock watch Error

OK, I tried it on a spare PRG-80 module, and it does appear that these two springs are responsible for detecting whether the back is in place. I've circled the springs in the next picture:

With just one spring removed, and the back screwed back into place, the display indicates that the back is open. (I have circled the removed spring so you can see how big (or rather small) it is):

I hope that helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help with A Casio G-Shcok watch Error

Thanks for the quick response!
    Do you recommend that I try to fix the problem myself? I see that I need to take the back cover off, but it's covered by the "base of the band". Are the four screws on the top-face holding the band on?

Once I get to the back cover and take it off and then locate the spring, what do I need to do to fix it? I haven't taken the back cover off, but the watch has had its share of abuse. Could water damage cause this sort of problem? I take my watch diving, though not past 40 meters or so; and the watch has been through several hundred showers...:oops: . By reading some of the forums, I'll know better from now on

Quote Originally Posted by gatornumber1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Do you recommend that I try to fix the problem myself? I see that I need to take the back cover off, but it's covered by the "base of the band". Are the four screws on the top-face holding the band on?

Once I get to the back cover and take it off and then locate the spring, what do I need to do to fix it? I haven't taken the back cover off, but the watch has had its share of abuse. Could water damage cause this sort of problem? I take my watch diving, though not past 40 meters or so; and the watch has been through several hundred showers...:oops: . By reading some of the forums, I'll know better from now on
    I don't recommend that you try to fix it yourself. You should send it to Casio for a service.

However, if you do decide to take it apart yourself, here are some tips.

No, you don't need to unscrew anything from the face. Just the four screws on the back.

You do need to remove the band before you can get the back off. To remove the band, you need to remove the clasps that are holding the band to the watch. They normally have something written on them, like "PRO-TREK". They have little holes at the side where the spring bars sit. You need to push these in with a small pin (so that they are no longer engaged in the holes), then you can remove the clasp. Note that this can be a little bit fiddly because you have to get two spring bars disengaged simultaneously, and the clasp won't want to move while one of them is still engaged. With a bit of practise, it gets easier.

DO NOT LOSE THE SPRING BARS!!! As they are sprung, they have a tendency to fly in random directions when you remove the clasp.

Note which spring bar went into which hole (i.e. one of them comes from the hole closer to the watch itself than the other). They look very similar, but are actually very slightly different lengths.

You'll then be down to the big resin 'blobs' that are actually obstructing you from getting the back off. You just have to pull these blobs off! Make a note of which blob came from which end of the watch.

Then you can remove the screws securing the back. When the back comes off, be sure not to lose the thin plastic ring that may come with it. That's the seal that helps makes the watch water resistant.

What you do now depends on what is wrong with the watch. Assuming that there is a spring missing, then you need to replace it. There's not much I can do to help here. You either have a suitable replacement, or you don't. If you don't, then you'll have to MacGyver one out of spare parts. Can be done, but it's fiddly. The Casio service center will have millions of these springs.

OK, assuming you've replaced the spring, reattach the back (being careful to reseat the seal properly in its groove), screw in the screws, and reattach the blobs.

Reattach the band at one end, and insert the spring bars. Attach the clasp, engaging the spring bars at one end. Push the other end of the spring bars so that you can get the clasp all the way onto the band, and jiggle it until both the spring bars engage on this side too.

Repeat for the other clasp.

And enjoy your new repaired watch!

It'll be worth getting it checked for water resistance again, because you may have ruined the seal.

Once again, I stress that I don't recommend that you do this yourself. You should get Casio to do it. I'm only mentioning this information so that in case you do want to try it yourself, you don't try mucking with bits that don't have to be mucked with.
    Last edited by dudegalea; November 10th, 2007 at 22:39.

I'm thinking as you say you haven't removed the back and the fault just happened, it seem very unlikely any springs could be missing. You say it's had quite some use, so perhaps some moisture has got in and a little rust (or similar) is causing a connection to fail. If the springs, or the back of the case where they make contact looks rusty or tarnished, cleaning this may help.

Also if it's had a few knocks, maybe a spring has become a little dislodged. During my last battery change I kept the alarm spring in place and didn't noticeable move it, but there was no alarm sound. All I did to fix it was remove the back and remove then replace the spring, and it worked. Also, it's a good idea to make sure the rubber gasket is clean, and lubricate it with silicone grease before you replace the back, for water-resistance.

Good luck anyway.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Thread Information