Help choosing first G-Shock!!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Help choosing first G-Shock!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help choosing first G-Shock!!

I've had some Kohl's gift cards sitting around, and I never shop there... They've got some promo codes ending today, so I figured it was time to jump onto the G-Shock ship!

I want something I can wear when playing with my kids... something that can get juice spilled on it, dunked in baby food and oatmeal, get knocked around, and still be fine! Also something to wear when hitting the gym and hiking. I was initially going to grab a g9000 mudman, but they're OOS now =( Here are some others that caught my eye and that would cost me nothing besides the gift cards :P

DW5600
    DW6900
    DW9052
    The above three caught my attention since you can see the time in SW/CDT as well as set second increments... nothing DIRE for me, but useful for gym time! Wary about the 6900's size on a 6 inch wrist though...

G9100 Gulfman
    Nicest looking out of the three imo, seems to have much larger and easier to read digits, multiple alarms, and just cus it's a Master of G :P Don't think I'd ever use the Tide/Moon.

Sitting here with a skinny 6 inch wrist, and no store near me to try any of these on =( Anyone care to help narrow it down for me? =)

Re: Help choosing first G-Shock!!

On a 6 inch wrist, get the 5600

Last edited by yankeexpress; January 14th, 2016 at 20:27.
    Prdrers and Izzy_Does_It like this.

Look at the G-2900. But Kohl's price is too high at $100 unless you have about $50 in Kohl's cash plus the 20% off code. The G-2900 has nice big digits and multiple alarms. Also a better module than the 5600E, 6900E, or the 9052.

EBay price is usually around mid 50's USD for this model. It will fit a small wrist very well.
    Name:  PB300079.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  1.03 MB
    Last edited by Rocat; January 15th, 2016 at 00:45.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have to agree with yankeexpress...6" wrist, get the 5600. It's plenty tough, not too big, and very comfortable (at least i think so). The 6900 is also very nice and iconic, but it will dwarf a 6" wrist.
    yankeexpress likes this.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

I have a 6 inch wrist and can wear a 6900, no problem at all. The Gulfman is nice, but kinda pointless if you're not using the moon/tide. The only one I have no experience with out of those is the 9502, but really I'd just go with whatever looks best to you, they'll all serve you well honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by LankyOrangutan View Post
    ?..I'd just go with whatever looks best to you, they'll all serve you well honestly.
    I should have qualified my post with this as well... Definitely buy what YOU like!
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Thanks for the feedback! I actually stopped by a Kohls during lunch today, and was surprised to see a large assortment of Gs (even though their site says they're not in nearby stores!). I checked out the few I was interested in that wouldn't cost me much, if anything..

DW-6900 - the actual case itself was a great fit. I kinda have a wide wrist top even with a bit over 6 inch wrist, and the lugs didn't overhang much at all. The band however added a good chunk extra with the way it's designed, made it seemed the watch overhung by like a 1/4 inch both top and bottom.
    DW-9502 - fit beautifully, band and all. Wasn't a fan of the gray lugs and metal pins though. Funny how I didn't really notice them in pictures but seeing it in person they just popped out to me =P

Since they didn't have G9100, G2900 or DW5600 to check out, I just went ahead and ordered the 9100 in store via Kiosk to avoid shipping, cost me like $7 after promos and GC =P It's true that I might not ever use the tide/moon indicators, but I REALLY dig how the watch looks. It was a toss up between looks and having time shown during CDT. Looks won =P Worst case scenario I don't like it and take it back for a DW5600 (or G9000 if it comes back in stock at the same price it was previously at!).

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Rocat, soulbridgemedia and Prdrers like this.

Welcome to Watchuseek, and congratulations on the new G-9100! The multiple alarms are standard on most solar and solar/atomic G-Shocks, but that seems to be the only solar that made your "short list."

If you end up buying another G-Shock -- and hanging around this forum, that becomes more of a possibility -- if you decide that you like the DW-6900 (or the solar G- or solar/atomic GW-6900) there are easy fixes to the problem you describe about the strap, as detailed in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ski...ex-657372.html

Or, you can always put it on another strap!

DW-5600 strap:

Name:  6900 on 5600.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  268.4 KB

One-piece nylon straps also solve the problem quite nicely when used with "strap adapters":

Name:  6900 zulu.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  307.6 KB

Enjoy the new Gulfman when it arrives!

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Congrats on your new watch. Glad you looked at the 9052 and rejected it for the same reasons I did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information