Help Choosing a G-Shock (or protrek)

Thread: Help Choosing a G-Shock (or protrek)

Help Choosing a G-Shock (or protrek)

Hello all,

I currently have a GW-9400-1 (black with positive display) as my only digital, and while I like it, I would be interested to get some input from the experts on something that might be a better 'fit' for me.
    I am looking for something similar... yet different. I like the size, and (from what Im told) good build compared to some other G's, but as I am used to analog automatics I dont think I will ever use (or even remember) some of the features this watch has.

Things I AM looking for:
    • solar
    • atomic
    • stopwatch
    • timer
    • backlight

Things that would be nice:

• The ability to put it on a NATO (and or strap other than stock)
    • world time
    • auto backlight
    • altimeter
    • compass

Would I be better off keeping the 9400, or is there something that would that offers similar features that I should consider - even if its a suunto or a protrek

many thanks for any options you might throw my way

Re: Help Choosing a G-Shock (or protrek)

Pro-trek PRW-S2500MG

The PRW-2500 has solar charging and atomic time sync, triple sensor barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, barograph, tides, moon phase, multiple alarms, etc.

This one is the JDM version with Sapphire crystal and Carbon Fiber strap model PRW-S2500MG that comes with a Mini-Maglite flashlight.

Gulfmaster GWN-1000

200 meters Water Resistance
    Multiband 6
    Digital Compass
    Barometer
    Altimeter
    Thermometer
    Tide Graph
    Moon Data
    World Time
    Stopwatch
    Countdown Timer
    Alarm
    Full auto-calendar
    LED light with afterglow
    Tough Solar power system

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

paw1500 protrek

there are some in this series and several protrek lines that actually came with a second one piece band as well as the standard resin one. so you can buy the proper strap adapters for a more factory standard look

prob can add the mudmaster to your list as well. fit is comfy enough that you wont need a nato ;)

One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post

Pro-trek PRW-S2500MG

The PRW-2500 has solar charging and atomic time sync, triple sensor barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, barograph, tides, moon phase, multiple alarms, etc.

This one is the JDM version with Sapphire crystal and Carbon Fiber strap model PRW-S2500MG that comes with a Mini-Maglite flashlight.

how do you feel about the PRW-3000 compared to the 2500?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post

Gulfmaster GWN-1000

200 meters Water Resistance
    Multiband 6
    Digital Compass
    Barometer
    Altimeter
    Thermometer
    Tide Graph
    Moon Data
    World Time
    Stopwatch
    Countdown Timer
    Alarm
    Full auto-calendar
    LED light with afterglow
    Tough Solar power system
    I actually really like the gulfmaster, but if I am going to go digital - I would rather get all digital unless it was something like a Breitling emergency (granted the gulfmaster is a quite similar concept)

The PRW-3000 is the successor, more modern sensor with a few small incremental advances, such as the altitude changes are in smaller increments. But nothing that makes the 2500 series obsolete. I like the 2500 duplex screen with more information displayed.

A small item that bugs me a little is the Day of the week is only 2 letters instead of 3 and the month and Day toggle.....no month and day together on the new 3000.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but if you are interested, you can get adaptors to put on your Rangeman, allowing a different strap to be used. Do a search on this forum for "Rangeman adapter" (sp?) and you should find a thread or two.

But even if you want another watch --- you said that you aren't aware of all of the functions of the Rangeman, so I'm not sure why you'd want to go all-digital (when the Ranger is digital). I think you'd be better off with an ana-digi movement, and the one found on the PRW-6000, and Mudmaster (nearly identical modules) is probably a good choice. (Gulfmaster is too)

Both the PRW-6000 and the Mudmaster have all the features you want -- with the possible exception of the ability to change straps. The Mudmaster has a very unique strap attachment system so you are likely stuck with the stock strap on that one. I do not know offhand if you can easily swap out the strap on the PRW-6000 or not... The Gulfmaster is another one with a very unique strap attachment system - you are stuck with the stock strap on it. (not a bad thing though)

If you do want to get another digital watch, the Protrek PRW-3500 is large, but nice, and with that you can easily change to a NATO/Zulu strap if desired. Plus Casio has just come out with the PRW-3100, which is smaller, and not sure about the strap-changing ability on that one.

Also keep in mind that almost all of the Protreks, no matter the model you are looking at, are available in both resin straps and also titanium bracelets. Of course, you pay a premium for the titanium version.

Virtually ALL of the newer g-shocks and Protreks have all the features you want, except possibly the ability to easily change straps... (caveat: of course, only the "ABC" models will have an altimeter, barometer, and compass)
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; October 22nd, 2015 at 01:15.

Casio just released a 3500 and 6000 with 2 straps (1 cloth and 1 rubber) that can be swapped out. The watches are olive green. I swapped out the olive green band wings on my 6000 for black. I also trimmed and filed the carbon strap a little and it still fits over my wetsuit. The titanium bracelet would be sweet, but I like the adjustment of the carbon band.
    Name:  casio.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  570.4 KB

Thread Information