Help cleaning my GWF-1000 Frogman

Thread: Help cleaning my GWF-1000 Frogman

Help cleaning my GWF-1000 Frogman

I have a GWF 1000 Frogman and while overseas I sprayed on some spray sunscreen on and a little got on the band and main body of the watch on the side. It's left a whitish mark on there, not overly noticable but I would like it clean it off. I have tried with hot water using a toothbrush to scrub it. it looks clean but once it dries the whitish marks are still there.

Has anyone got a solution to ensure I can clean this stuff off without damaging the watch.

The pics below show what I mean.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

-------------------------------
    Dave

Banned

Re: Help cleaning my GWF-1000 Frogman

Those white marks look like talc powder residue from soap bars. Are you sure you didn't shower with a soap bar? You can try to use a very soft tooth brush again with liquid hand soap to scrub the white stuff off. Sometimes you need to do it a few times with the toothbrush to get the white stuff off. I also have the same problem with the white stuff getting on the watch band on my GW9010 atomic solar Mudman. I can get most of the white off, but there's always some that remains on the bezel in the crevices. I've learned to live with it.
    Let us know if you get the white stuff off if you use the toothbrush a few times with liquid soap again. If you cannot get it off, then maybe it's inside the black rubber material. If it's permanent, you may have to either live with it or buy another band and bezel for your Frogman. That's why I never put suntan lotion or bug spray on my with my G-Shock on. It can discolor and ruin the bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Toc View Post
    Those white marks look like talc powder residue from soap bars. Are you sure you didn't shower with a soap bar? You can try to use a very soft tooth brush again with liquid hand soap to scrub the white stuff off. Sometimes you need to do it a few times with the toothbrush to get the white stuff off. I also have the same problem with the white stuff getting on the watch band on my GW9010 atomic solar Mudman. I can get most of the white off, but there's always some that remains on the bezel in the crevices. I've learned to live with it.
    Let us know if you get the white stuff off if you use the toothbrush a few times with liquid soap again. If you cannot get it off, then maybe it's inside the black rubber material. If it's permanent, you may have to either live with it or buy another band and bezel for your Frogman. That's why I never put suntan lotion or bug spray on my with my G-Shock on. It can discolor and ruin the bezel.

Thanks i will give that a go. It might be soap actually as i used that initially.
    Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wash my rubber with soap, dry it, then wipe down the resin, and only the resin, not the lcd or metal parts etc., and it usually does the trick. Note: some say soap is not good long term for the resin, but I still do it. Toothbrush is good, the white stuff can also be sweat, similar to baseball caps.

Resin is a great material for lightness and strength. However, its achilles heel is its vulnerability to certain chemicals. Unfortunately a lot of sunscreen and bug sprays contain such chemicals and I fear that the damage to the resin is permanent.

If you are going to use these products, apply with your watch off the wrist and let it dry for a moment before putting your watch back on.

Mitch

LUW

Try washing it and afterwards you could use a fine coat of liquid silicone. I do that when I want my straps looking shiny - you just have to give the strap a good wiping afterwards so that it doesn't feel oily.
    But if that doesn't do the trick, as Mitch said, the resin could be stained. If so, there isn't much you can do about it, unfortunately.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Thanks for the tips. I gave it a good clean under water with a fine soft brush and it seems to have worked. Doesn't look like any permanent damage it just wasn't cleaned properly initially but a bit of effort and all good. Will be a bit more careful from now on though!

Cheers
    Dave

LUW

Silicone oil is a good way to maintain your resin. Once in a while it's a good policy to oil them.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

If i'm wearing a watch while applying sunscreen, I always wrap my t-shirt around the watch or remove it first. Sunscreen is not kind to resin.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shock View Post
    If i'm wearing a watch while applying sunscreen, I always wrap my t-shirt around the watch or remove it first. Sunscreen is not kind to resin.
    I found this out the hard way with my G9300GY - a small part of the strap turned very shiny in contrast to the matte finish. One solution for me was to burnish the shiny part with a Q-Tip swab. It seemed to lift the sunscreen out and restore the matte finish.

For cleaning, the Q-Tips are great because depending on the pressure applied I can perform a delicate cleaning or remove light imperfections. The only time I'd recommend against them is with glossy finishes like those on the G-Lides, since any rubbing will mar the finish and show up as dull scratches.

Thread Information