Help deciding between Suunto Core and Casio ProTrek

View Poll Results: Which watch should i get?

Voters
65. This poll is closed
  • Suunto Core

18 27.69%
  • Casio PRG-110B-3V

11 16.92%
  • Other Casio Protrek / Pathfinder Model

33 50.77%
  • Neither spend your money on another watch or save it and be more responsible!

3 4.62%

Thread: Help deciding between Suunto Core and Casio ProTrek

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help deciding between Suunto Core and Casio ProTrek

Hey, firstly, you people were fantastic help when I got a g-shock Mudman G9000-3 few weeks back, thanks for all the advice. It arrived the other day and I'll post pictures as soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera (mine got stolen a few months back). I love the g-shock, it's a fantastic beater.

I'm keen to satisfy my urge to spend my most recent pay (just pulled the trigger on a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX), and I'm tossing up between a Casio Pathfinder probably a PRG-110B-3V or a Suunto Core.

Things that are in the Suunto's favour:

Storm warning alarm
    Sun up and sun down times
    More accurate measuring of atmospheric pressure
    Better logging abilities

However things that concern me about the Suunto are battery life and durability. I can't seem to find a really solid answer on how long the batterly lasts, and if i can treat is as rough as i would a Casio. It's also more expensive which weighs in the Casio's favour.

Things that are in the Casio's favour:

Solar (this is a very very big one)
    Looks much tougher and more rugged

Can anyone help with this decision?

Does the Casio have a storm alarm I'm not aware of and sun up and sundown times?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Help deciding between Suunto Core and Casio ProTrek

hi spacenoodle,

I'm not aware of any protrek (pathfinder) with a storm alarm function or sunrise/sunset indicator.

personally I too find the look of casio watches much more appealing than the look of suunto watches.

functionwise suunto seems to lead the race, but I never owned a ssunto watch, so this is something I cannot confirm, nor deny.

about accuracy of airpressure measurement: my latest watch purchase is a casio sea-pathfinder SPF-60S-1VER and I can tell you that this thing is always spot on. whenever I check the weather online (which I do quite often) the barometer is just in line with online measurements.

regards, holger

Core's are pretty durable. I don't think you'll have
    much trouble with battery life is you get any of the
    last addiction with the new software. I also have a
    Pathfinder 1300. I wear the Core almost constantly,
    and hardly ever wear the 1300. The Core is also
    thinner. I just get too much drift on all the settings
    with the 1300, and my Core just stays locked in.
    The Storm alarm is a great feature. The Barometer
    is Super accurate, and either fall deads on, or no more
    then maybe .1 off of my local reporting station that
    is nearby. I'm on my original battery on my Core, and
    I play with the functions a lot, especially the Compass,
    and that's a huge drain on the batter. Of course batteries are only a couple of bucks, and takes less then
    2 minutes to change.
    Depending on the model Core you buy, they can run
    about the same price as the Casio.
    The sunrise/sunset time feature is pretty cool too, and
    also very accurate.
    My vote upon owning both is the Core.
    Regards Sonny
    Motorcycling is my LIFE..
    2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom FXDC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Sonny on almost all points. I am blown away by the accuracy of my Core. I too own a Protrek... a PRW 1200. Not a bad watch at all.

But, also like Sonny, I wear a Suunto product far more often than the Protrek.

I like the Atomic and Solar features... but can easily live without both. The Core has TONS of technology and has performed perfectly for me in the field.

2 major issues for ME with the Protrek is the poor Altimeter resolution (20 foot increments) vs the Core... (3 foot increments). And the notion that the compass is useless at night on the Protrek because it locks up when you turn the back light on.

The core allows the user to set the recording interval for the altimeter, it has better resolution, and the light stays on without affecting the compass!

Also, the alti log book on the Core is OUTSTANDING... you can even re play your altimeter throughout the log session! Not to mention the graphic display!

Oh... and the storm alarm... SUPER cool! And the sunrise sunset is great for cycling and hiking!

To me, the only protrek that runs close to the core (MY OPINION) is the 1500... now THAT is a beast!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

By the way, if anyone chooses option *4.... we have ways of tracking you down and it will NOT be pleasant...

fair warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post

To me, the only protrek that runs close to the core (MY OPINION) is the 1500... now THAT is a beast!
    I had a look at that, looks nice, but I'm living in Australia, where atomic watches don't work. Which sucks. Does the 1500 have anything huge over the Suunto? Because the more people reply to this thread the less competition it seems.

i would go with the titanium braclete of 110 because i can't say enough good things about the titanium bracelet (i am assumming atomic is not available in your area, otherwise, i would go with PAW1300T)

i would go with casio cause i don't want to worry about battery life.

e.g. if i want to wear the watch on a 2 weeks trip. i don't want the battery to run out on the 3rd day nor do i want to carry a suunto spare battery kit

and unless you really need those extra features (Storm warning alarm, Sun up and sun down times, Better logging abilities), those are "good to have" but not must.
    better accuracy is always good. but that depends on how much you rely on it. (is it just for fun and reference, or if your life is going to depend on it)

The core will give you a warning for battery life. Ive run my Suunto X Lander for 3 weeks after the warning icon came on... then accessed the user replaceable battery hatch with a quarter, replaced the battery and was off to the races... :)

YMMV, but even if the battery icon came on as I'm leaving for that 2 week trip, I would have made it.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian here.. But I don't understand the logic of the second part of your post...

"and unless you really need those extra features (Storm warning alarm, Sun up and sun down times, Better logging abilities), those are "good to have" but not must.
    better accuracy is always good. but that depends on how much you rely on it. (is it just for fun and reference, or if your life is going to depend on it)"

Well if thats the logic, then just go get a mickey mouse watch and be done with it. The post is concerning these high tech elements... its exactly the point! :)

By the way, if anyone chooses option *4.... we have ways of tracking you down and it will NOT be pleasant...

fair warning.

Is that a threat?

anyway, imho, suunto and protrek are totally different beast.

suunto= accuracy, in-depth functionality, it meant business
    protrek= practical, multifunctional, reliability

just my 2cents. i own PRG110 and love it. but so far never really use the functionality. bought it to fulfill my 12years dream of owning a Protrek
    Rolex 116600 LN || Seiko SBDC033 || G-Shock GW9400-1 & G7800B1
    Omega SMP Quartz
    (on missus wrist)

YMMV, but even if the battery icon came on as I'm leaving for that 2 week trip, I would have made it.
    That's good to know. As I've said I got a mudman G9000-3 for my duty watch / field watch. But having something like the Suunto with some more functionality which I can wear on duty and off and while on deployments, would be ideal, and the Mudman would become my backup.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information