Help finding the best G-Shock for me.
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help finding the best G-Shock for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help finding the best G-Shock for me.

I'm looking for a new watch that I can wear to work, cycle and weight train in but still be stylish enough to wear out of an evening. G-Shock seems to be the obvious choice but I'm stuck on which model to buy.

I work as a yacht sprayer so want something that can get covered in dust while sanding and then be rinsed off easily. I will be using the stop watch features to monitor drying times and viscosity etc so it needs to easily operated while wearing latex gloves.

I've set a limit of £100 as if I spend any more and wreck it I'll be upset. I've been looking at the g-7900-1er and the gw-7900-1er as I like the look of them, they are in my price range and readily available here in the UK.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Marley

Re: Help finding the best G-Shock for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marley83 View Post
    I work as a yacht sprayer so want something that can get covered in dust while sanding and then be rinsed off easily. I will be using the stop watch features to monitor drying times and viscosity etc so it needs to easily operated while wearing latex gloves.

I've set a limit of £100 as if I spend any more and wreck it I'll be upset. I've been looking at the g-7900-1er and the gw-7900-1er as I like the look of them, they are in my price range and readily available here in the UK.
    Every G is rated for 200m water resistance, which means that rinsing won't be an issue, although some G's may have more small crevices that dust can get into. Every G-Shock has a stopwatch, MOST also have a countdown timer if that would be useful.

While some G's buttons are harder to operate while wearing gloves, I'm not sure what sort of latex gloves you're using, but if they're the thin, surgical kind they probably won't interfere with the buttons.

You mention both the G- and GW-7900 -- are "solar powered" or "atomic synch" important features for you?

Have you seen this thread yet? I'd start here and narrow down what other features you want and/or need: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

I like my G7900MS with ballistic nylon strap a lot. The buttons should be easy to operate with latex gloves on too. It's the biggest G I own and not easily worn under a long sleeve shirt though IMHO.

If dust-proof was an issue I'd think about the G9000 Mudman. A lot of people consider the buttons hard to push. I can operate them with leather work gloves on, but the 7900 are no doubt easier to push.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Solar and atomic is not important to me as looks like the battery life is good on the others anyway, I just liked the look of the all black gw as opposed to the g in black with red.

I'm not keen in the idea of a nylon strap as I get quite sweaty at the gym and it might trap dust in the material while at work.

I'll take a look through that choosing your G-Shock thread.

Thanks Marley

GD350? It has the big instant countdown timer button. Also the stopwatch is 999 hr. Seems to fit the budget.

Just looked at the GD350 and it certainly fits my spec. I had a result today when I was visiting my Dad for his birthday, I said I was looking for a G-Shock and he went upstairs and returned with a green DW-003. He said it was 10+ years old but he'd hardly worn it, all it needs with some luck is a new battery. He gave it to me so i'll try and get it working and probably still get a new one as well as I got my mind set on it now.

Rocat and pocky like this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

The G-7900 is a great choice and I consider it one of the best G's ever made. The GD-350 is a great G as well but tactile feel of the buttons is very poor compared to the G-7900.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Solar and atomic is not important to me as looks like the battery life is good on the others anyway, I just liked the look of the all black gw as opposed to the g in black with red.

I'll take a look through that choosing your G-Shock thread.
    Congratulations on the DW-003 -- there's a VERY good chance that it just needs a new battery (and an "AC reset") and it will be good as new! https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ock-19704.html

There are a lot of threads here on WUS about G's that sat in a drawer for years before being "rediscovered" and brought back to life...or sold on eBay for pennies on the dollar and then resurrected by the new owner.

Definitely take a look through that thread and you'll get a better idea of what's available -- there's no sense paying $50 extra for extra features when all you want is a color scheme you can get with a $2 bottle of paint and a cotton swab!

DW-003 works just fine after a replacement battery, even after a dip in the bath. Turns out its a 21stC.B Ed Templeton edition. There should be a couple of pictures on the strap but they must have come off at some point.

Also my dad has this AW-570 Mudman but the strap has broken, is it still possible to get a replacement strap or are there any others that will fit? He said that he called Casio several years ago but they don't keep them anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information