Help With A First G-Shock For A Small Wrist

Thread: Help With A First G-Shock For A Small Wrist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help With A First G-Shock For A Small Wrist

Hi All,

Fellow new member with a great interest in watches like yourselves.

QUICK HISTORY
    I bought myself an 8 pillow mahogany watch case when I had only 2 watches. Just few weeks before that, I bought my fiance a Baume&Mercier Linea. Worth much more than my TAG Kirium, purchased in 1998 as an 18yr old. It is still my daily to 2012 and was dropped off to get a small repair done on the clasp. I feel naked and I've been wanting a digital for some time now. At first I steered away cause I'm in my 30's and digital felt like they are meant for kids/teens. After lurking for some time on WUS, I know longer care and learnt if you have a passion/interest for a watch, then go for it. So in part, thanks guys for sharing your enthusiasm and interest with others.

Now onto business. I live in Sydney and there's quite a bit of sales going on as we head to the end of our financial year. Felt it would be a good time to address my naked wrist. I bought my little brother (under 10) an G-300-3AVDR and I have taken it out of the box dozens of time in the last 8 hrs. I got it for him because the watch is on the smaller size compared to other G-Shocks. I wasn't allowed to get him a 3D Nintendo DS and this was the next coolest thing he can proudly show off to his friends at school. Especially the tyre tread patterned band.

I've also came across this and quite interested in it also, the G314RL-4AV, similar if not the same size.

(pics borrowed using Google- thanks to original uploader/s)

Now I'm wanting to know of the two what are the differences and would one be better than the other? I'm leaning towards getting the same as my brother's present, as I like the colour scheme better. But the second one has the same colour scheme as my favourite AFL team (Essendon) so that is cool by me also. I know the negative display might be a problem for some and I think it looks cool and although I like the clarity of a positive display. it's not a dealbreaker.

So really the order of importance would be the sizing as I have a small wrist and prefer not to go much larger than the above two. I really don't care for the multi timezones as I could happily do with just another timezone or even none. Count down timer, not really much use for it. Alarms, most come with 4 normal and a snooze so I'm happy with that. Stopwatch, comes on most digitals as well so that's cool to have, but like the count down, I won't be seeing much use for it either. As for the lume, I can't remember when I charged the TAG for night time reading so another non-issue for me. I do have one small qualm with the G-300-3AVDR and it's the very short period light stays on after pressed. Short like 2 secs. I would rather a much longer on-time and could well be the difference which side I lean to. I like the indigo lighting and prefer that or similar.

Is there any other ana-digi (getting used to the lingo) of the same size I should consider? I like it black mostly and definitely no bright or garish colours thanks. I will definitely be buying a digital very soon cause I am also in a hunt for a dress watch for my wedding. But that is for another post.

For an idea of how my 37mm TAG vs 38mm MB wears on my wrist and another pic further away for a better reference to my wrist size for watches.

Name:  Rolex M116234-0087.jpg
Views: 5249
Size:  197.2 KBName:  TAG and MB.jpg
Views: 2912
Size:  74.4 KB

Thanks for reading and your help!!

ehk

Re: Help With A First G-Shock For A Small Wrist

I'm new to G-Shock myself. My wrists are probably the same size as yours, and so I know that it can be difficult to find one that fits properly. There was a similar thread a few days ago. There are several recommendations in it.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-shock-small-wrists-708508.html

In addition, you may want to take a look at this Baby-G:

BGA151-1B - Baby-G - Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

I have one, and it looks very good and fits very well. A lot of guys don't want to wear a Baby-G. But hey...If you like it, then why not? Besides, this Baby-G is very stealth. You cannot tell it from afar.

While it seems like you are looking for the analogue look, a 5600 would probably fit you well. I think the square design is pretty classic and looks very nice.

The G-100 is ana-digi and is also not very big too!

Brave Rifles! Veterans!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for your sggestions. I did consider a Baby G- albeit VERY briefly. I probably won't wear one much the same reason why I refuse to wear my fiance's frilly singlet underneath a shirt. It's not because ppl can see it or know, BUT it's becaise I know!!! Just can't bear to wear it an deven if its good looking, perfect fit, great colour scheme etc etc it would be something that will GNAW at me forever as long as I have it. And if that happens, it wont get any wrist time and more importantly, I won't feel that great wearing it. I would be quite self-conscious and will defeat purpose of enjoying wearing a watch. Whatever the type/price. You get the picture.

There's been plenty of views and only two replies so I'm putting it down to my small contribution in posts so will gradually have to change that and be more active. I'd like to give back to this forum too, even if I don't have the knowledge base of a WIS. What I lack in that department I will make up in keeness :)

I'm going to head to another shopping centre to try on a few and will post updates for those who are in a similar situation and HOPEFULLY I can contribute something USEFUL to this community. If the red watch can have a light that lasts for more than 5secs than it'll be snatched up. At $169AUD it's not that cheap, but then again, nothing in Sydney ever is.

It'll be my beater until I get my wedding timepiece and if I like it, I'll visit the the Odaiba G-Shock store in Japan (thanks to waruilewi for providing this link G-SHOCK STORE?Shop List?Floor Guide?AQUA CITY ODAIBA ) and see if I can add to my new collection. Quite interested in the Mini-G and only if they sold in Sydney with the rest of the range in shopping centre stores.

Well it's off for the 5th time to try out watches the last 10 days. Hope they can take more off the discounted price! Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ehk View Post
    I'm new to G-Shock myself. My wrists are probably the same size as yours, and so I know that it can be difficult to find one that fits properly. There was a similar thread a few days ago. There are several recommendations in it

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-shock-small-wrists-708508.html

In addition, you may want to take a look at this Baby-G:

BGA151-1B - Baby-G - Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

I have one, and it looks very good and fits very well. A lot of guys don't want to wear a Baby-G. But hey...If you like it, then why not? Besides, this Baby-G is very stealth. You cannot tell it from afar.

ehk

Well...It's entirely up to you because you have to feel comfortable with it. For me, I don't mind. I've also bought an AWG101 last week (picture in the other thread that I linked to). It's not that much larger than the Baby-G, but the strap is too long and requires cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by furrotik View Post
    The G-100 is ana-digi and is also not very big too!
    Are you sure?
    It is one of the biggest, over 50mm of diameter.

Sorry if you took offense to my comment about the BabyG. It's just not for me. I even almost bought one just now, a black one with stealth BabyG logo indent in black so I didn't notice until it hit the lights at right angle. Great size though and a winner for me if they could get rid of the word Baby. That wold make it more of unisex appeal for ppl like me (and I guess some others too).

I like the Bike Rider range, Just came back. I was nearing a purchase when the lady started yelling at me for changing the time. When I was only going through the menu to see what functions the watch had cause she didn't know what they had and couldnt tell me the difference between the 3 models I short-listed. Then I sarcastically pointed out I was only checking the watch cause as she said to me, she had no bloody clue and couldnt tell the difference because she isn't a watch person. Was offended and used the pretense of serving someone else to walk away.

This is when I took some quick pics with my phone and across the room this lady starts yelling, "No photos, No Photos". Long story short, she was extremely rude, talking about cameras and surveilance and security guards like I was going to steal a $169 watch. Then demanded rudedly to delete the photos and I just said nope. That was downhill and I got peeved so wasn't going to drop a cent in that store.

Which worked out well because I think I found the watch that suits my requirements. The G304RL-1

Just waiting back on confimation of similar size to the G-300 and if the light is indigo and not the yellowish LED. That colour doesn't work for me. Another big factor was the legible big digital time readout compared to the other ana/digi. There's a lot going on in the other dials and subwindows. Clarity is a bit muddled and negative doesnt help, but still has the 'Oh so Cool factor' (yup, being a kid now).

I am still a bit crabby about my earlier encounter with poor sales people. Especially when I was still carrying around the money to get the Mont Blanc or Rolex. Just in case they agreed to my counter offer of cash right here and now today. Who knows, some ppl may need to make the sale to hit their target for the quarter.

Here are the pics that got me into trouble. Not my fault sales attendant walked off and left me to my own device.

Name:  G blue.jpg
Views: 2864
Size:  84.7 KBName:  G red.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  89.3 KBName:  G digi.jpg
Views: 2779
Size:  83.4 KB

Almost forgot, I was more hoping from this thread to find out more along the lines of why people did or didn't get the models I nominated to purchase and the reasons why they decided on getting or not and if theydid, what they ended up getting and what made that watch more of a buy then the others. After more trying watches on, I like the recessed screen to prevent scratching as I know it isn't made of sapphire. All the watches tried had a short time it's left on after pressed. Which was quite disappointing. And I agree, great watch but WHY o WHY did you make the band so long when there will be people who opt for this range due to the smaller size for their smallish wrist?!?!?! Has anyone attempted to cut shorter the excess band? Is there a place where it can be done and done reasonably well? Watch repair centres? Or is a replacement band a better bet?

the GW-3500 series may be something for you to consider. Although they may be too large for your requirements.

Please see here my wrist with a G7700 on:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information