HELP:flip Seiko divers for G-Shocks?

Thread: HELP:flip Seiko divers for G-Shocks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP:flip Seiko divers for G-Shocks?

Just thought I would seek advice since I am sure other forum members have been here before. Have some nice Seikos (6217-8001, 6105-8009, 6105-8119, 6306-7001, 6309-7049) that have been spa'ed at IWW. I spent alot of time and money to get these as good as possible but now the work/fun is over. Should I keep these as a potential investment or in case the attraction to them rekindles OR should I sell/trade them for some hard to get Frogs? Advice or admitted mistakes appreciated.
    In Dogs We Trust

Re: HELP:flip Seiko divers for G-Shocks?

you should go with your heart

personally, i won't sell/trade for watches that i like for something else

cause at point, i might feel bad about the sell/trade ... (speaking from experience! O| )

but to saving $$ for limited froggy

Of course do as you see fit with your collection but I'll wager that you spent quite a bit of money and anxiously waited for each of those Seikos to return from Jack at IWW. Sounds like you have an excellent collection of Seikos. Why not keep them but also gradually build a G-Shock collection?

I echo Frank's advice. Save your favorites, no matter what you want to purchase. Determine what rare G-Shock you are interested in collecting and save for it. I'm certain that there will still be Black Helios and Black Spots out there for sale when you are ready to purchase. And don't be fooled into believing that rare Frogs cost an arm and a leg. I just picked up a Brazilian Frog off of this forum in new condition for less then half of its advertised price elsewhere. Shop around.

Good luck and keep us posted regarding your collecting goals.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. You are correct in that it took a lot of Jack's work to make those Seikos what they are. They would be hard to replace. Thanks again.
    In Dogs We Trust

You have listed some pretty awesome vintage Seiko divers. If it were me, they would definitely be keepers for sure. As mentioned by others, keep what you have and slowly save for the G's. Every year there are new offerings (such as this years new Mudman), and special editions.

I have just recently caught the vintage Seiko diver bug. Got a 6309-7040 coming my way soon. Sure would love to get a 6105-8009 next.

Smile Re: HELP:flip Seiko divers for G-Shocks?

I wouldn't do it. Seiko is just a different watch from G-shock. Not to say one is better than the other.

As Mike said, slowly build your collection, watch for good deals and think carefully. Think about yourself without your Vintage Seiko collection. OR what I have heard is put your Seiko collection away for a while (2 weeks or so) and then take them out. If you still don't like um' then get rid of them. I would think you would still have a connection to them.

That is an awesome collection by the way...the 6309s are beautiful. They have been calling me for a while. Good luck and happy hunting!

Hi Paul,

Some watches do get dull after awhile. Ask yourself some questions if you're thinking about selling a piece of your collection:

1. Are you losing alot of money by selling it?Yes/No

2. Is it your favourite/one of your favourite?Yes/No

3. How much time and effort did you put into acquiring it?Alot/minimal

If you answered all as yes,yes,alot...you should'nt sell but save up for the next watch.

I always buy and sell to purchase other watches that appeal to me more. I have owned and sold a few rare Gs over the past few months that i have lost interest in(an example is the black helios). Some i will never sell as i spent too much effort searching for it.(Real black mudman etc.)

Hope this helps...

cheers~SKy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    And don't be fooled into believing that rare Frogs cost an arm and a leg. I just picked up a Brazilian Frog off of this forum in new condition for less then half of its advertised price elsewhere. Shop around.
    Have you been fooled?

I once saw that you made a comment saying that your Black spots was worth USD700

cheers~SKy

One other thing to think about. Those Seiko's will last forever and you have ones that are customized and are sought after and I think they always will be. On the other hand, there are various reports of resin rot on old Casio's. Some claim the new resin does not do this, but then the new resin hasn't been out for 10+ years. With a giant collection of G's you'll soon be doing battery maintenance. That doesn't happen with an automatic - shake your seiko every couple of weeks a bit and it will keep for a long long long time.

In short, collect G's be don't sell the Seiko's to do it unless you really determine you don't like the Seiko's.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhook
    Have you been fooled?

I once saw that you made a comment saying that your Black spots was worth USD700

cheers~SKy

I believe that the comment which I made inferred that a Frogman Black Spots was worth about $700.USD as it was being advertised for $825.AUD on a sale site.

I don't see why that comment would infer that I was "fooled."
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information