help with g shock dw 6900 strap

Thread: help with g shock dw 6900 strap

help with g shock dw 6900 strap

I recently got a used g shock 6900. the strap with the buckle fell because the spring bar wasn't put right. so I got another exact spring bar because the one it had flew when it popped off. well I've tried a lot but I'm having trouble putting the strap on again because I can't find the holes because they are small. I went to a few stores but they couldn't put it back in either because they say its tricky. can anyone give me a few tips or recommendations on how to put the strap back in? all suggestions appreciated

Re: help with g shock dw 6900 strap

You're right -- sometimes it IS tricky to install or reinstall a strap on a G-Shock, but most watch repair stores should be able to do it!

The two best pieces of advice I can offer are:

1) Make sure you're using the right tool for the job -- in this case, a proper springbar tool. Small screwdrivers and penknives can work in a pinch, but an actual springbar tool (which is shaped much like a screwdriver with a slot in the tip) is best.

2) A lot of the time, part of the problem I've found with strap installation is the way the end of the strap fits into the watch body. It's almost as if there's just a little too much strap and not enough space in the watch body, so you have to really press the strap INTO the watch to make the holes line up correctly. (Yes, pressing the strap INTO the watch while juggling the strap in one hand and the springbar tool in the other means you might not have enough hands, which is why jewelers have small vices to hold watches while they work on them. I haven't purchased a watch vice yet, but have enlisted a friend's help a few times. "Here, hold this right here while I...." )

An important thing to remember is that each failed attempt can start to "round out" or enlarge the holes that the springbars snap into -- the bars are made of steel, the watch body is made of plastic resin -- so if you can't get it to snap in the first few times, it might be time to turn it over to a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    You're right -- sometimes it IS tricky to install or reinstall a strap on a G-Shock, but most watch repair stores should be able to do it!

The two best pieces of advice I can offer are:

1) Make sure you're using the right tool for the job -- in this case, a proper springbar tool. Small screwdrivers and penknives can work in a pinch, but an actual springbar tool (which is shaped much like a screwdriver with a slot in the tip) is best.

2) A lot of the time, part of the problem I've found with strap installation is the way the end of the strap fits into the watch body. It's almost as if there's just a little too much strap and not enough space in the watch body, so you have to really press the strap INTO the watch to make the holes line up correctly. (Yes, pressing the strap INTO the watch while juggling the strap in one hand and the springbar tool in the other means you might not have enough hands, which is why jewelers have small vices to hold watches while they work on them. I haven't purchased a watch vice yet, but have enlisted a friend's help a few times. "Here, hold this right here while I...." )

An important thing to remember is that each failed attempt can start to "round out" or enlarge the holes that the springbars snap into -- the bars are made of steel, the watch body is made of plastic resin -- so if you can't get it to snap in the first few times, it might be time to turn it over to a professional.
    may thanx for the advice. close to where the holes are there is a bit of wear because me and the people at a few stores have tried to put it back in. but when I put the springbar in without the strap it easy to put in. I think its hard to put it in with the strap because the strap is thick and also because I cant c where to put it when the strap is there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes using a generic spring bar instead of the thicker Casio model is much easier. I know with putting on the G-Shock strap adapters I often have to switch out the spring bars and it'll pop right in.

1/ put one end of the spring bar into the hole
    2/ put on the strap
    3/ use something to push the other end of the spring bar into the other end
    4/ use a needle or as small but hard to gently move/guild the end of the spring bar (at 3) to the hole (depends on the model of the G and the strap, sometimes I move it left or right, sometimes i push it down more )
    don't use too much force

thank you all for all the help. :)

its a modded g shock dw 6900. it was originally a mirrored gold with shiny black face and strap. but now the face is gold color instead of mirrored gold color and also the three circles on the face are red instead of the usual color. also letters where it says mode adjust etc are white instead of black. someone modded it for me. but he didn't change the strap. it has the original strap.

Thread Information