Help a G-Shock Newbie Please!

Thread: Help a G-Shock Newbie Please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help a G-Shock Newbie Please!

I'm brand new to this forum. Please help. I'm 40 years old and looking for a watch to wear after work and on weekends that I don't have to worry about "beating up". I've been looking at the Giez GS1100-1A. I saw one on Amazon.com for under $200. Is Amazon a good place to purchase from? If not, any recommendations? Also, when Casio says it's water resistant does that mean it's safe to wear swimming, showering, etc? Exactly how waterproof is it. Any other help or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Help a G-Shock Newbie Please!

Hi Loop and Welcome!

I think that's a great choice. Very nice. Water should not be an issue under any normal use.

As to Amazon, I've bought three Gs through them and all three were great. You'll often hear you may not get the "designer" box (if the watch originally came with one) but that is not universal. Sometimes you do. That didn't matter to me. I'm not after 'collector value'.

Amazon's watches are new, real and warranted. No worries.

Ken
    Tempus neminem manet

Ken,
    Thank you very much. When you say "water should not be an issue under normal use" what does that mean? I'm used to wearing a dive watch with a screw-down crown etc. I just want to be able to jump in the swimming pool and not have to worry. Am I good to go? Also, do you feel there's any "age limit" on this type of G-Shock? Thanks!

-Dan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    I'm used to wearing a dive watch with a screw-down crown etc. I just want to be able to jump in the swimming pool and not have to worry. Am I good to go?
    Yes, you are. It should be good to 200m. No worries. Frogmen only differ in that they are ISO certified to that depth... There's a great post on here about this. A bit thick in places:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ter+resistance

Also, do you feel there's any "age limit" on this type of G-Shock? Thanks!
    Of the watch? Or the wearer??

On the first, none of significance. On the second, I'm not qualified to answer. I love clunky solar atomic watches that are very cost effective and tough. I'm retired so....

Cheers,

Ken
    Tempus neminem manet

Thanks again for your help. I'll be happy to test its water resistance soon on vacation! And I'll check out that other thread. As for the age thing, I meant my age. But on second thought, I like the watch, so who cares what anyone else thinks. I appreciate your thoughts. Take care.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Moved to main forum from reviews forum.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

The GIEZ is a great watch for the price. Amazon's not bad, and they are usually very reliable.

Are you only considering analog models? If not, then you might want to take a look at the Riseman GW9200, also. That's another favorite around here.

Loop,

I would not worry about the age thing. I believe some of our members are over 60.

If you like the Giez features check out the GW-2000s, they have the same stuff and more. Don't think Amazon has them yet though. They lack the screw back and aren't quite as formal looking but are functionally superior and even cheaper at some sources.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Ken,
    Thank you very much. When you say "water should not be an issue under normal use" what does that mean? I'm used to wearing a dive watch with a screw-down crown etc. I just want to be able to jump in the swimming pool and not have to worry. Am I good to go? Also, do you feel there's any "age limit" on this type of G-Shock? Thanks!

-Dan
    If it helps, I have a Giez and I wear it to work and take it in the shower no problem. I haven't, but I would wear it in the ocean. I don't dive anymore, but I would snorkel with it and not think about it twice. I will say that I think it will scratch a bit if you bang it about too much, after all, it is metal. I have noticed, however, that the scratches are hard to see and if its clean, they kinda blend in. I actually bought another Giez off Ebay (came from Hong Kong) and had no problems with the transaction. Its beautiful. Silver with blue face. Its still in the box, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information