HELP: Having a hard time to decide -> G-5600E-1DR

Thread: HELP: Having a hard time to decide -> G-5600E-1DR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP: Having a hard time to decide -> G-5600E-1DR

I'm thinking of getting a classic looking 5600. Is the G-5600E-1DR same as the classic 5600 from the 80s? I am not really familiar with the 5600 line. Am I heading in the right direction or you guys could suggest other models? Thanks

Here's a picture of the G-5600E-1DR:

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: HELP: Having a hard time to decide -> G-5600E-1DR

The closest sibling to the 80s DW-5600C is the DW-5600E, available since 1997 or so.
    The G-5600E is a solar driven version of the 5600, introduced last year.

The G-5600E has some additional features but also lack some niceties of the DW-5600E.
    Both are fine watches!

DW-5600E:

G-5600E:
    Last edited by d2mac; August 29th, 2010 at 15:04.

Any non-WIS or civilian would probably not be able to tell the difference between that and the original 5600s.

Main difference with the originals is that they were screwback case designs, not screwed-on plates as they mainly are now. The old ones therefore feel heavier and generally a bit more well built.

Screwbacks in the current range are quite rare. Have a look at the GW-5000, which is possibly the most appropriate successor to those originals. Other screwbacks include the limited edition Spike Lee version. However, both of these will cost a lot more than your suggestion.

Another difference is that the new ones have more recessed buttons. I find the originals like the DW-5600C much easier to operate.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    Any non-WIS or civilian would probably not be able to tell the difference between that and the original 5600s.

Main difference with the originals is that they were screwback case designs, not screwed-on plates as they mainly are now. The old ones therefore feel heavier and generally a bit more well built.

Screwbacks in the current range are quite rare. Have a look at the GW-5000, which is possibly the most appropriate successor to those originals. Other screwbacks include the limited edition Spike Lee version. However, both of these will cost a lot more than your suggestion.

Another difference is that the new ones have more recessed buttons. I find the originals like the DW-5600C much easier to operate.
    If you are lucky you can find a 2008 spike lee DW-5000SL which is a screwback for a reasonable price:

Hi d2Mac and Maine! Thanks for your prompt responses. The replies and pictures were very helpful! Now, i'm thinking of the screwbacks... It's probably a must-have for most of the G-Shock enthusiast. Anyway, i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the solar 5600. I just need some more time to weigh things out. Cheaper solar 5600 or the screwback (spike lee)?
    Last edited by Alexeibc; August 29th, 2010 at 17:04.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeibc View Post
    Hi d2Mac and Maine! Thanks for your prompt responses. The replies and pictures were very helpful! Now, i'm thinking of the screwbacks... It's probably a must-have for most of the G-Shock enthusiast. Anyway, i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the solar 5600. I just need some more time to weight things out. Cheaper solar 5600 or the screwback (spike lee)?
    There is one ebay seller in germany selling the SL for 69€:
    CASIO G-Shock Sondermodell SPIKE LEE DW-5000SL-1ER NEU! bei eBay.de: Casio (endet 03.09.10 21:50:15 MESZ)

The G-5600e is offered for about 60€ from asian and australien sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeibc View Post
    Hi d2Mac and Maine! Thanks for your prompt responses. The replies and pictures were very helpful! Now, i'm thinking of the screwbacks... It's probably a must-have for most of the G-Shock enthusiast. Anyway, i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the solar 5600. I just need some more time to weight things out. Cheaper solar 5600 or the screwback (spike lee)?

Hey man...I JUST got into G-Shocks recently, and as my first "basic" one I picked up the solar model above. Some of the benefits that it offers that swayed my decision are World Time, Multiple Alarms, Auto Illumination, A "sleeper" Power Save Mode, and of course solar powered :)

Jake B

FYI... Amazon is selling the G-56000E for only $57. Just purchased one yesterday and can not wait for its arrival. I have Three other squares, but wanted one close to the original color scheme and classic style. The updated features make this a stand-out model for the price and one thing not mentioned yet, is the fact that the lighter weight of this model makes it much easier to wear than the heavier screwbacks.

The 5600's are the classic G's and a must for any G enthusiast. Good luck in your purchase !

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Allwayspting View Post
    FYI... Amazon is selling the G-56000E for only $57. Just purchased one yesterday and can not wait for its arrival. I have Three other squares, but wanted one close to the original color scheme and classic style. The updated features make this a stand-out model for the price and one thing not mentioned yet, is the fact that the lighter weight of this model makes it much easier to wear than the heavier screwbacks.
    I purchased my G5600E from Exclusive Watches on Amazon for $57.57 just a few months ago. It's an excellent watch. I also own the DW5600E-1V and the DW5000SL Spike Lee screw back. I wear all 3 of these watches in rotation together with my DW6600-1V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information