Help identifying an 80's G-Shock
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spidercrab
  • 1 Post By xevious

Thread: Help identifying an 80's G-Shock

Help identifying an 80's G-Shock

I bought a G-Shock from a high street jewellers in the UK in the mid 80's.

I have either lost the watch or I have vague recolection that it was pinched at a mountain bike event. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the watch and I would be interested to know what model it was.

It was definately a G-Shock because I remember the brand recently being launched and there was quite a bit of advertising in the UK. It had 4 buttons which I am pretty sure were gold coloured and it operated in a similar way to the 1545 module. I can't remember if the buckle was gold. It didn't have Flash Alert and I don't recall a Rem function although I may not have been aware of it.. It did have an alarm and stopwatch for sure. The Light was a small white bulb on one side that was not bright. It was waterproof to 200M.

It looked like a DW-5000 shape from memory and it definitely had a DW-5000C strap with the extra ridges around the holes. I am almost certain that it had a silver screwback because I remember first seeing a 4 screw back many years later and thinking that was not as good as the one I had.

I can't remember whether it had a 5000 style brick face or the 5600 face.

So far it sounds like it may have been a DW-5000B.

Here's the bit that I can't figure out. I am pretty sure that it had the HD logo on the front of the display and this may have been where the Shock Resist crest was. That HD logo looks very familiar to me somehow so I am wondering if the UK had a sort of cross over version?

Can anyone help me to identify this model?

One other thing that I remember is that this was the only G-Shock model available at the time in the UK.

And another thing. It was a damn fine watch that lived on my wrist and was hardly ever taken off. It never let me down and woke me every morning.

Re: Help identifying an 80's G-Shock

Do you remember which year exactly did you bought it? It would help to narrow it down...

It sounds like DW-5000c-1B, but I'm not sure what do you mean by HD on the crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    ... I'm not sure what do you mean by HD on the crystal.
    The HD symbol stands for Heavy Duty I believe.

It looks like this:
    Name:  DW-270-watches-1269553216.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  40.8 KB
    nigelw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One thing that is helpful to pin down the model: do you remember if it could be set to beep once on the half hour and twice on the hour? Could it be made to have that bow tie like symbol on the LCD when the alarm and hourly chime were turned on?

If it has gold buttons, that narrows it down a little bit

DW-5000C-1B

DW-5200C-9 (this is my guess as to what it was)

WW-5100C-9 (most expensive vintage -- potentially worth thousands in mint condition)

1987 model : DW-5600C-9

Last edited by kung-fusion; January 27th, 2014 at 16:34.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by spidercrab View Post
    The HD symbol stands for Heavy Duty I believe.

It looks like this:
    Name:  DW-270-watches-1269553216.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  40.8 KB
    Ah... I think I know what you're talking about... although I'm quite sure no vintage G-Shock ever had "HD" on it. It was only on certain regular line of sport CASIO watches, like the one above. This included the DW-210, DW-240, DW-260, and DW-270.

Within the sport line the DW-270 is the only one that had gold buttons.

Name:  Casio_DW-270a.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  52.2 KB
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

One other thing... is there any chance you might be blurring together memories of two different watches? There was the DW-5600C-9V that came with gold buttons, the only 1980's square G-Shock that had them. But it did not have "HD" on the crystal.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

The watch I had was a G-Shock with Protection and G-Shock on the bezel. At least that is the picture I have in my mind. However, I am sure that it also had that HD symbol on it in the same position as the DW-270 above.

If there is anyone else here who also bought one of the first G-Shock models in the UK in the mid 80's then that might pinpoint the model.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    One other thing... is there any chance you might be blurring together memories of two different watches? There was the DW-5600C-9V that came with gold buttons, the only 1980's square G-Shock that had them. But it did not have "HD" on the crystal.
    Unfortunately that is very possible. the reason I ask though is that I recently saw the HD logo and it looked very familiar and got me thinking. I do remember that the watch cost about £36 at H. Samuels (Jewelers) which was quite a bit of money (to me) at the time.

What may have happened is that I was sold something like a DW-270 and was told it was a G-Shock model as I really wouldn't have known back then. I don't think the DW-2xx had screw backs so I think this is unlikely.

No vintage screwbacks has HD written on the crystal, seems like it wasn't g-shock?

There is DW-300 and DW-310 with HD, they are not g-shocks.

I think xevious is right, you probably have to diffrent watches in mind and mixed them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    No vintage screwbacks has HD written on the crystal, seems like it wasn't g-shock?

There is DW-300 and DW-310 with HD, they are not g-shocks.

I think xevious is right, you probably have to different watches in mind and mixed them together.
    Ah, I forgot about the DW-310. It looks more like a G-Shock than the DW-270.

There is a gold button version, but it doesn't have the HD logo on the face.
    Last edited by xevious; January 30th, 2014 at 18:04.
    Crater likes this.

Thread Information