Help me choose a model please
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cal..45

Thread: Help me choose a model please

Help me choose a model please

Here's what I am after,

Analogue/Digital combination * (see note below)
    Sedate colour, black/grey/navy/dark green etc preferred
    Inconspicuous G-Shock logo, like black on black of GA100 1A1
    Hands and markers that are readable at night, glow in the dark
    Alarm
    Ability to adjust alarm at night, LCD sections able to be backlit. I want clear vision of functions at night. No hand cupping to see anything.
    Medium size preferred, large OK
    200m water resist
    Price around $100 - $200

* I will go digital only if I have to. However being able to tell time at night with glowing hands and markers without pressing a light button (as I would have to with a digital) would be very handy and extend battery life I think.

GA100 1A1 would be perfect except the digital sections are not backlit. I need to adjust alarm in darkness.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by enuenu; January 26th, 2014 at 15:26.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Help me choose a model please

Quote Originally Posted by enuenu View Post
    I need to adjust alarm in darkness.
    Thanks.
    In this case you can forget Casio entirely and you have to go with a Timex Expedition or Ironman.

cheers
    Rocat likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

on the GD-350-1b u can set the alarm at night. just set the lighting time (LT) at 5.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    I agree with cal..45 - setting an alarm in the dark is not easy on a G-Shock or Casio in general. Especially on the models with just 4 buttons (all ana-digis have a 4-button layout) as the light button is used to scroll down when making adjustments - so the light no longer works at all - or only if you use the auto EL. You'd have to leave the setting screen and then use the light to see if you set it correctly. It's much easier on a watch with a 5th button for the light. And at the moment there's not many ana-digi Casios that even have an illuminated LCD - the AQ-S800/810, SGW-400 and SGW-500 are AFAIK the only ones. And there's one more problem - the lume on Casios is mostly below-average at best. So after a few hours in the dark you have to use the light button anyway. So my advice would be to go digital and choose one with a 5th light button and preferrably a setable illumination duration - the GW-6900 for example. Or maybe a standard battery model with 5 sec illumination like the GD-350 that "De smid" mentioned or the G-7900 or GLS-8900.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by De smid View Post
    on the GD-350-1b u can set the alarm at night. just set the lighting time (LT) at 5.
    But you still have to press the light button five times or so before an alarm/cdt is set - too much fiddling for me and too unefficient.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Thanks a lot. I think I am going to have to go digital to get what I want. Analogue watches with alarms that are water resistant (100 minimum) and can be seen clearly in the dark are rare. I could sacrifice the ability to set alarm in dark if I had to. I initially thought I would go analogue so I could glance at the watch in the dark to see the time. Plus they look better I think. However it seems that there are few watches where the hands truly glow in the dark all night.

* G7900 looks good and can have tides programmed, I wonder how accurate that function is? A bonus as I am in the ocean a lot. No Super Illuminator though.
    * GLS8900 also looks good. It has "LED backlight (Super Illuminator)" so I guess it would be better for fiddling with at night than the G7900
    * GDX6900FB-8B also good with Super Illuminator (couldn't find GW-6900 here G-Shock AUS // Casio G-Shock Watches Australia)

I'll have to find them to try on, I'm not after an extra oversized case so will see how they feel.

One thing I am having trouble with is where to buy. Local jewellers charge a lot more for G-Shocks (and all watches) than what you would think they are worth based on what they sell for in USA (I am in Australia). I see a lot of online sellers here in Australia with prices about 60% - 70% of the shop prices. Even though the prices they tout put them in line with what you would pay in USA, I am dubious for some reason. I think they get them from Hong Kong. Should I just pay the extra and get from a bricks and mortar shop locally even though they are gouging oversized profit margins? Like all goods here, we seem to get ripped off. Check guitar and guitar amplifier USA versus Australian prices if you dare.
    Last edited by enuenu; January 27th, 2014 at 13:36.

"Super Illuminator" is definitely not as good as an el panel. It's way too bright and will destroy your nightvision entirely - depending how sensitive your eyes are. The G-7900 is one of the best G's made so far and although I don't live anywhere near the sea, I think the tidegraph is sufficient enough but not overly precise. Contrast, buttons, illumination and the whole module are among the very best what Casio has to offer in the G world.

But like I wrote, a Timex is the best thing when it comes to night usability. The light stays on as long as you need it, whenever you need it - theoractically you could illuminate the watch until the battery runs out of juice. Another plus on most Timex's is that they use often negative illumination which means only the digits light up. That is not only looking much better in my opinion but it also helps greatly to preserve your nightvison. As a plus the alarms are MUCH louder on most Timex's compared to Casio (but there are exceptions to that rule on both brands).

Two pics of my T-49851 so you get an idea what the nightmode looks like:

If you consider a negative display for tacticool looks and style, nothing beats IMO the T-49900/T-49903. For me this is the benchmark in negative display legibility and the absolut uber reference in ilumination but my camera really don't do fully justice to them:

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Wow, that night display looks great. I'll check the range in more detail. Thanks a lot for the pics.

Thread Information