Help me in choosing a gravity defier

Thread: Help me in choosing a gravity defier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me in choosing a gravity defier

Hi guys,

I am one of those people who preferred on mechanical watches but now looking for a quartz watch to complement my collection apart for a Riseman in my collection. While i have the mean to spent on a good mechanical swiss watch but i am not willing to spent a bomb on bretling superquartz watch.

The watch I am looking now is the one in gravity defiler series which is these 2. My country dont have atomic signal so I couldn't careless about getting the atomic signal equipped watch.

G-1200D (Same as GW3000 without the Atomic signal)

and

G-1500BD (same as GW2500 without the radio signal

The main criteria i am looking at is Funtionality. Look not really important for me so long it has those necessary function like CountDown timer or full 24 hr chronograph.

Also what so special about that Black IP treatment? Is it equivalent to DLC treatment? Will it peal off when it hit on some other surface?

Is the back case screw in or other type (cant remember the name)

Hope to listen form you g shock fans

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Help me in choosing a gravity defier

Quote Originally Posted by gigiplastic View Post

The main criteria i am looking at is Funtionality. Look not really important for me so long it has those necessary function like CountDown timer or full 24 hr chronograph.
    trust me, if functionality is so important to you, an analog (or ana-digi) is NOT what you want. they might look nice but can never hold up to an all-digital watch. for instance, the G-1200D only has a ridiculous 24 minutes stopwatch and no countdown timer at all !!! I really would like to know what is going on in the brains of casio engineers sometimes....

The G-1500BD has only a 60 min. countdown timer and altough it is repeatable 8 times if i'm not mistaken, it doesn't help much either. also the digital parts are not illuminated because a suboptimal LED illumination is used instead of good, reliable EL-Backlight. the watch does have a 24hours stopwatch though.

Also what so special about that Black IP treatment? Is it equivalent to DLC treatment? Will it peal off when it hit on some other surface?
    black IP is tough but not super tough. it is definitely not as hard as DLC and will wear off eventually, especially if the watch is exposed to hard duty. for daily tasks in an office however, it should last many, many years.

Is the back case screw in or other type (cant remember the name)
    sorry, i don't know that.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Actually does that digital part of the watch visible even when the LED lumination is on?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    the back is the standard 4-screw backplate. The LED-illumination might not be perfect but in those cases where the LCD doesn't cover the whole dial I prefer it over EL because it lights up the hands. If the watch had EL you'd have to first put the time on the lower display (normally it shows the date) before you can read time in the dark once the lume has faded. I think that might be the reason for the LED-illumination. The lower part of the display is faintly lit by the LED - enough to see if you have started the STW e.g. So far I hardly ever felt the need to use the functions in complete darkness . The LED is bright enough to be used as an emergency flashlight btw.

This pic wasn't taken in complete darkness however. I just held the watch under my desk. But like I said - the lower LCD is visible and with a little trick you can also see the upper LCD - just wrap your hand around the watch - then the reflected light from your fingers will do the trick. I guess it would be perfect if it had EL and LED - but that would drain the battery too fast. But IMO it's still one of the best 'bang for the buck' ana-digis in the G-Shock Line-Up.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Hi,
    the back is the standard 4-screw backplate. The LED-illumination might not be perfect but in those cases where the LCD doesn't cover the whole dial I prefer it over EL because it lights up the hands. If the watch had EL you'd have to first put the time on the lower display (normally it shows the date) before you can read time in the dark once the lume has faded.
    if the watch had el-backlight you could see the hands clearly as silhouettes AND read the digital parts as well:

timex does very well on their analogs:

from a technical point of view there is simply no reason to prefer LED over EL, it is inferior in every aspect.

I think that might be the reason for the LED-illumination.
    I think the reason is the solar panel, casio simply couldn't figure out how to put both on the watch.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

That's exactly what I meant. In those cases where the LCD doesn't cover the whole dial (and on the GW-2500 it doesn't) - like in the pics you posted - the EL wouldn't light up the hands when they're not in the right position. And of course it's because of the solar panel. One possible solution would be to make a thin solar panel on the outer rim and a smaller 'full-dial-LCD' in the middle - same as they do on the digital models.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    trust me, if functionality is so important to you, an analog (or ana-digi) is NOT what you want. they might look nice but can never hold up to an all-digital watch. for instance, the G-1200D only has a ridiculous 24 minutes stopwatch and no countdown timer at all !!! I really would like to know what is going on in the brains of casio engineers sometimes....

The G-1500BD has only a 60 min. countdown timer and altough it is repeatable 8 times if i'm not mistaken, it doesn't help much either. also the digital parts are not illuminated because a suboptimal LED illumination is used instead of good, reliable EL-Backlight. the watch does have a 24hours stopwatch though.

black IP is tough but not super tough. it is definitely not as hard as DLC and will wear off eventually, especially if the watch is exposed to hard duty. for daily tasks in an office however, it should last many, many years.

sorry, i don't know that.

cheers
    First casio wants every one to be there ...... If that means leaving some thing out like an led light. They'l put the led light in the next version, and they'l hope you'l buy the new watch with that correction. Most watches aren't perfect. If you need that one function wear the watch that does for that occasion.

I agree with cal45. If u're looking at functionality, digital is the way to go.
    Visit <<Seiko Divers on facebook>>. Just what every Seiko fan needs. Another place to spread the Seiko madness.

Actually I already got an digital g shock which is the riseman. Just considering on buying another g-shock preferbaly ana-digi/ analog which i prefer over digital display.

Well - some don't like it but many do. However I'd think about getting the positive display version because as far as I know on the negative display readability is an issue. On mine the coating still looks perfect - it's protected by some 'resin-rims' on top.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information