Help me decide! Curse you Rangeman!
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Help me decide! Curse you Rangeman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me decide! Curse you Rangeman!

So... after years and years of refusing to buy a G-Shock, I find myself in need of a functional and very durable watch to wear on my wrist during physical recreation. As hardy as my Seiko SKX is, I can't help but scour it for scratches and dents every time I go climbing or hiking.

A month of reading up on the various models and I had finally narrowed my choices down to the following two:
    -GW-9300
    -GW-9200

I spent two weeks alone deliberating on this choice and decided on the Riseman (largely because of cost)

Well, just when I was about to pull the trigger on my first very first G-Shock last week, Casio comes and announces the Rangeman and it just so happens to have every single feature I had dreamed of for my "active watch". I can't say if this was luck or my misfortune as I was so excited to buy the Riseman; I am now caught, once again, in the middle of a tiring process of deliberation.

No I won't buy both of them; I am not looking to become a G-Shock addict/collector (my measly law student budget simply cannot afford it at the time). I am simply in need of a watch that can take a beating and will come to be of use in the vast suburban forests I find myself hiking through from time to time.

Two things that are of concern to me:
    -price - Will the price of the Rangeman drop in to more reasonable levels in the near future?
    -size - As the Riseman is probably near the upper limit of watch size that I would find comfortable, how will the Rangeman compare?

Help!
    tse_tse likes this.

LUW

Re: Help me decide! Curse you Rangeman!

Allow me to be blunt:
    - Price: You can expect to pay a little less then the original $300 - it will come down, but not much.
    - Size: I consider the Riseman to be on the smaller size of the G Scale, and the Rangeman will definitively be bigger (the size of the Muddy 9300). If your wrist is too narrow, then you can expect some overhang. However, being much lighter then your SKX, you can expect it to wear smaller on your wrist.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Reason I ask is because Riseman MSRP is 220 but can be had for ~$130.
    Considering this you don't think it's reasonable to hope that by the beginning of 2014 (after the X-Mas rush), the Rangeman will be sub-$200?
    200 is really the maximum I'd like to spend on a watch like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

I doubt it will come down that much in the near future. Maybe a year after it's release (end of 2014) you can find it for about $250, but for the first six months it probably will be around the suggested $300.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

The question is, will you be able to hold off till the price dropped?

Lug overhang is not much because if the design of the strap - lug connection just like the aviator G1100. The mudman design lug-strap connection protrudes.

prices will eventually come down ... but it will take some time.

GW9200 has been out for a long while, that's why the price is much discounted from MSRP
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Quote Originally Posted by ggyy1276 View Post
    The question is, will you be able to hold off till the price dropped?
    Good question.
    Something I should probably consider carefully ><

This is a tough transition period. I remembered my dilemma between the rise man and the older solar mudman. When the 9300 came out, it was a clear winner and I just have to buy it. However, after a few days of wearing, I feel a bit awkward wearing it, I still don't know why. For me this is another case of having too high an expectation for a product only to realise that its not the watch I am looking for. In my opinion, while its good for a watch to have many features, a watch after all is a accessory that has to be stylish too. For example, I would prefer GW-A1100 to GW-A1000 even though the former has got better features, the Gulfman over Riseman even though the former does not have any sensor features. Nevertheless, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Buy the style that works for you and makes you confident.
    kelfg2000 likes this.

This might be a better question then... I have ~6.5in wrists. Would the Rangeman look funny on them? I'd much rather it not hang over the sides...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information