Help me understand the fever...

Thread: Help me understand the fever...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Confused Help me understand the fever...

I'm new to watch collecting in general, and learning much by exploring the various WUS boards since I joined two months ago. While I've really ooohed and aaahed over something in each of the different brands, I've been having a hard time understanding the fever that all of the G-shock fanatics have .

My first watch in junior high school (too many years ago) was a digital Casio, but I thought I left that world far behind when I moved then to my first analog (Swiss Army) and I haven't looked back to digital since then. Some of the analog or digi-analog G's have been mildly interesting to me, but I'm still not feeling the fever that all of you have.

I'm not trying to troll here... I'm genuinely mystified by how enthusiastic and dedicated the folks on this forum are about their favorite G-shocks. Can you help me to peek into your world, and understand why I should be just as excited as you are about G-shocks?

(And I've tried to do a search to find a good thread that helps me understand the avid attraction-- probably not using the right search terms...).

Re: Help me understand the fever...

Hoo boy, where do I begin?

There's the technology involved, primarily in protecting the mechanism while incorporating various innovative features. There's variety, with practically a G-Shock for every taste and price point. There's branding, with images of athletes, artists and even the armed services validating the well-deserved "shock resistant" claim. Someone else can come along and elaborate better.

For my part, my first timepiece was a Casio, so I feel sort of a brand loyalty even in the face of either more affordable, more prestigious or better-featured brands. I've had two Timex watches and one Seiko fail on me in some way, but I've yet to have any problem with a G. To be sure, not every G-Shock is bound to appeal to me, but as I said, the sheer variety of the line means that it's virtually impossible not to find at least one to my liking.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

G-Shocks are timeless classics. For me they're a perfect blend of style, function, durability, technology, and price...the perfect watch for 90% of all day to day activities. Plus they remind me of when I was a kid and found a screw back 5000 series at the bottom of a hotel pool and how cool and "grown up" I thought the watch was.
    I'm not a G-Shock "collector", and I wouldn't say I have the "fever", I just have a few Gs that I find pretty damn cool looking. IMO G-Shocks are watches that you can look back at in 10, 20 years and say "those are some odd looking watches, but I still love 'em." There's a certain feeling of coolness/geekiness that will last forever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bryanhayn View Post
    there's a certain feeling of coolness/geekiness
    +1

The easiest way to understand is to jump in a get amongst it.

Buy a G-Shock - something like a Mudman or GWM5600. Preferably an atomic solar model and see how you like it.

You may get addicted to the feeling that it can take any beating, the atomic time is definitely right, it looks beefy and tough on your wrist or even the fact that they look so good

If you dont, you wont lose too much money flipping it on the WUS forums or ebay.

Here's how I answered the question a couple of years ago -

Because they are anti-watches.

Nothing cooler than something that subverts a whole culture larded with snobbery, pretension and competitive shopping. And does the job better than most.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I think the few replies above have covered a great deal.

But there is only so much that you can understand why the 'already-lovers' love it so much.

It will not help you understand the fever, unless you're right in the midst of it.

The day when you find no more need to help yourself understand the fever, is the day when you've gotten the fever yourself.

With G-Shock, it's a love or numb thing.

Last edited by Theatre Of Dreams; August 25th, 2009 at 14:17.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Here's how I answered the question a couple of years ago -

Nothing cooler than something that subverts a whole culture larded with snobbery, pretension and competitive shopping. And does the job better than most.
    What a great response. I might have to write that one down, tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

As a convert, I can tell you there was a time I wanted nothing to do with anything but a mechanical watch. Wouldn't even come over to this part of the WUS neighborhood. And if I had, I would have made a genuinely curious post as you have.

Now, 10 G-Shocks later, I suppose I've got "the fever". The reasons above cover the details. What I can add, I suppose, is that the first time I came over here, it was because I was trying to fill a hole in my watch rotation. There were just certain instances, mostly involving outdoors, that I just didn't have a watch in the box that fit the need. One day, while shopping in a department store for something else, I walked by a watch case and noticed G-Shocks. My first impression was "hmm, that's actually cool looking". When I figured out the feature set on a $60 watch, I couldn't resist.

You've got to love the price: there's really nothing left on my "grail list" now that's under $2,000. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly in a position to scratch my watch itch with something off that list every time the feeling arises. With G-Shocks, it's different. If I see a new model that I like, I can click the buy button with confidence. I can absorb $100 to enjoy the feeling of knowing there's a new watch in-bound.

Final point: even though I've got some very special mechanical watches in the box, my G's have solicited more commentary, as a whole, than any other of my watches. Wearing a Rasta to one of my kids' friends birthday parties made me an instant rock star!

So there you have it. Three more reasons to love G's!

(But none of what I wrote can top tribe's post, so +1 to that!)
    Last edited by 2manywatchez; August 25th, 2009 at 14:30.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information