help! my Casio DW-500[540]

Thread: help! my Casio DW-500[540]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help! my Casio DW-500[540]

~hi
    My name is Peter and I’m new here =]
    About a few years ago my dad's friend gave us a lot stuff before he left the city. In it include 2 new casio watches. I didn't like digital watches and stayed with my automatic Swatch, until I started volunteering at a hospital when I needed my 24 hour and quick accurate time.
    I started wearing it a few months ago, it was the black casio watch which had BIG digital lettering and 24hr time. [I didn't like the yellow one because it stands out too much and little too big for my wrist(especially when I’m doing CPR].
    This watch has been through many emergency trauma with me and always did its job in giving me reliable time.
    Now is showing signs of old age. Like the 4 original screw that old back the case can’t screw in anymore because the thread that holds the came off with the screw. So I had to rig the larger 4 screws off the side of the watch to hold the case.
    So I was wondering if there any more information I can find for this watch. Like where I can get more parts from? Or how old is this….is it really that cool? I will be very grateful if I could get some info regarding the black casio dw-500.
    Thanks,
    Peter

Here are some quick crappy shot of my black black casio watch and the yellow one.

Re: help! my Casio DW-500[540]

Here's my opinion. Sell the yellow one; you can get good $$$ for it and will sell fast in the sales forum. And with the extra money, buy any newer G that fits your work criteria. There are many current G's that will suit your needs!

You don't say which country you're posting from, but a brand new DW-5600E-1V is the modern version of the black watch, and easily obtained for under €50 EUR from most asian sellers. Your old broken one isn't really worth repairing with new ones at that price.

As Derek says, you'll probably get a good price selling the yellow one to a collector.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Dw500,
    The smaller DW500C was released in 1988 and is the start of the Baby G line. It was produced for a younger and/or female consumer. It is the smaller version of the DW5600, it's no longer in production and parts can be very hard to find. The band and bezel screws should be available at Casio. The module and bezel are no longer in production and unavailable. It sounds as if you stripped out the back cover screws and eventhough the bezel screws hold the backcover onto the case, I would question the watch's integrity. Don't submerge the watch in water, it will destroy the module. In my opinion this watch is collectable ( any vintage G-Shock collector would want it) I own several different versions myself. You might be able to find a new case. If you do, changing the module is easy, just don't over tighten the backcover screws. The yellow DW5600 seems in good condition and is very collectable. The DW5600E is the modern version of that watch and is easily available for $40. If you have sentimental feelings for the DW500, strike out finding parts, PM me . Maybe I can help.

Happy Hunting.

Hi Pete, welcome to this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shop
    Hi Dw500,
    The smaller DW500C was released in 1988 and is the start of the Baby G line. It was produced for a younger and/or female consumer. It is the smaller version of the DW5600, it's no longer in production and parts can be very hard to find. The band and bezel screws should be available at Casio. The module and bezel are no longer in production and unavailable. It sounds as if you stripped out the back cover screws and eventhough the bezel screws hold the backcover onto the case, I would question the watch's integrity. Don't submerge the watch in water, it will destroy the module. In my opinion this watch is collectable ( any vintage G-Shock collector would want it) I own several different versions myself. You might be able to find a new case. If you do, changing the module is easy, just don't over tighten the backcover screws. The yellow DW5600 seems in good condition and is very collectable. The DW5600E is the modern version of that watch and is easily available for $40. If you have sentimental feelings for the DW500, strike out finding parts, PM me . Maybe I can help.

Happy Hunting.
    Well, there goes my story :-D. THe DW-500 is nick named Baby-G because of the facts G-Shop described indeed. I believe it's rare, specially th black one. The more known yellow version (DW-500C-9B) was released 5 years later in 1993.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Hi Peter !
    I have one dw500 gold series and I hava a question:
    Is there a back light in your black model ?
    :thanks

Wink Re: help! my Casio DW-500[540]

Hi Mangrich,

I know the DW-500 doesn't have a light bulb. As you look at Peter's picture you'll se no description on the upper right side on the bezel

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

hi everyone!
    I'm from California and omg 1988?!? I didn't know it was that old, nor do I realize these watches are rare/collectible?!:-S but really how much could I really get for these watches?
    heh, my friends are gonna love to find out I've been wearing a girl's watch.:oops:
    hrmm, I do have a little sentimental feelings about my dw-500, but if is going to cost me an arm/leg to fix one. I might just buy a new one insted and this time with solar power! cool!

The black casio doesn't have light but the yellow one does.
    Here is another pic of my two casio, as you notice it is alittle bit smaller!
    The yellow one is [691] DW-5600
    And is there any chance I could replace the yellow face cover one with a black one?

OH and HAPPY B-DAY Sjors!

Last edited by DW-500; September 18th, 2006 at 22:23.

lau

Quote Originally Posted by DW-500
    hi everyone!
    The yellow one is [691] DW-5600
    And is there any chance I could replace the yellow face cover one with a black one?
    Yeap, it's the classic DW-5600C, the "speed" watch... you're lucky.

You can find parts here : http://www.casiosalesandservice.com/iStar.asp?a=29

Make sure not to order the "gold" version of the bezel (gold letters) and bands (gold buckle).

lau

My friend, that looks like a almost new DW-5600C......

with the 691 module in it(made 1987 to 1990) The later 5600C's came with a 901 module.

Now I would recommend keeping that wat as it got a lot going for it. It looks almost new and is bright yellow(as they get older the yellow darkens) and since it is the original strap and bezel it will command a higher price at sell time. It also still has its sticker on it so this is sure a collectors item. Sit on it and don't sell it or change the bezel.

My advice to you is go to your local walmart and see their line of G-Shocks (they got some nice ones) and ether get one that is to your fancy or buy a DW-5600E in black as this is a larger version of your DW-500 and a newer version of the DW-5600C, they can be bought for $35-$40 and would be a good replacment for your DW-500.

Keep the DW-5600C safe as you got a gem

Cheers
    Leon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information