• 2 Post By LankyOrangutan
  • 1 Post By LankyOrangutan
  • 1 Post By TRSCP
  • 2 Post By G-fob
  • 4 Post By DzMn
  • 1 Post By TRSCP

Thread: Help needed after opening up a G-Shock Gulfman G-9100

Help needed after opening up a G-Shock Gulfman G-9100

Hi to everyone here, this is my first post and unfortunately I'm in need of help after opening up and dismantling my G-9100 Gulfman.

I'd never changed a battery in this watch so went about just swapping out the battery. Silly me though, thought that the opening clip for the battery was underneath, so I took most of the watch apart, but later realised this was not needed!

I fitted the new battery, but noticed a small gold spring on the table :(

After putting the watch back together including the silver case spring, the watch is keeping time from 12:00 and 01-01 date but none of the buttons work.

I've taken the watch apart again and put it back together (still minus the gold spring as I don't know where it goes) but still exactly the same result, none of the buttons work.

If somebody could give me any advice on where this gold spring goes in the watch, it would be much appreciated. I'm hoping that once the gold spring is fitted, the buttons start working. Hopefully I haven't destroyed the watch in some way.

I've added many images of the watch and the main parts, along with the gold spring (next to the case silver spring for size) in the hope that somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help needed after opening up a G-Shock Gulfman G-9100

The gold spring is probably just the alarm spring. See that one hole in the rubber spacer one the back? It goes in there to make contact with the speaker on the backplate.

As far as the buttons not working goes, are you sure the module is aligned properly in the case? Try taking the module out and pressing the buttons to see if they respond. If they do, it's just a case of making sure the pushers are actually making contact with the module when it's assembled.
    yankeexpress and DzMn like this.

Thanks for the info. I was using the silver spring in the hole in the rubber spacer for the alarm (I think I referred to it incorrectly earlier calling it the case spring). I think the gold one is too small for this. If it is the gold spring, I'd still need to find out where the other spring goes :(

I've taken the module out and pressed the buttons with my fingers and they still don't work unfortunately. Would a certain spring missing cause the buttons to not work?

The other thing I wanted to mention is the resetting of the watch after replacing the battery. There was a sticker on the previous battery which said to make contact with the '-' and 'AC' to reset. However, even after reading a guide from Sjors I believe it was on this forum, I can't get the watch to reset with tweezers. Touching the two areas makes no difference to the clock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah okay, the silver one might well be the alarm spring then. I see two other small gold springs on the white plastic part of the module, and there a a couple more holes there that it may fit into. Exactly what they do, I don't know, haven't taken one apart that fully myself, but I can't necessarily see that not allowing the buttons to work...

Did you hold the tweezers in place for a few seconds when doing the AC reset? Not that I'm sure about that not making the buttons work either. As far as I'm aware, it's the metal frame that flexes inwards to make contact with the circuit board that actually makes them work. So are you sure that's all clipped in place properly? And it's definitely oriented the right way?
    DzMn likes this.

I believe the springs facing forward are for the Dual Illuminator, just like on the G9000 Mudman. (The second illumination is the outer ring of the dial, kinda neat!)

I'm seeing there's already too springs in the front though...

Silver spring will go in that black hole right above the battery in that last picture, it has a bit of a lip, and you'll notice that the silver spring has a bit of a straight end on it? That end sits inside the module, the straightened bit is what helps it stick inside the module. (How the spring can slide about when you flip the module, but not fall out unless you take the module apart)

Look at the back of the dial with the module out, see what is there where the two current gold springs are, might be something that looks like a gold contact, then see if there is a third one. Try popping the gold spring on the face in the matching hole!

Let me know if you want some more assistance! :) (I'll be at work all day, but can reply.)
    DzMn likes this.

1/ ac reset (remove the paper/sticker)
    2/ sit the module properly into the case, look when you push the button - does it push the metal piece against the inner module ?
    3/ ac reset again, if it doesn't work, take your time counting the seconds

the biggest worry is the digits don't appear after a module disassembling - if they do come up, it's matter of trying

gold spring ain't got nothing to do with the module not functioning
    TRSCP and DzMn like this.

Problem solved! Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

I went through, as suggested, looking for gold contacts which may need a spring. On this watch there seems to be a few vacant holes in both the black plastic piece and the white piece as shown in the pictures above.

I soon ruled out the vacant holes in the white piece, as they would have gone downwards and didn't touch any other gold contacts. On the black piece however, I narrowed it down to a hole which wasn't too big for the gold spring and went to a gold contact on the other side once the two pieces were placed together. I dropped the spring in place, put the pieces together again and the buttons started working immediately!

I have since tried the reset and that works fine now and resets the watch to 12:00. Don't think the spring had anything to do with this though, I believe that that was just me not doing it correctly originally.

Thanks again for the help. I've attached a picture which shows where the silver spring and the gold spring are located if you are wondering and for if anyone does the same as me in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DzMn View Post
    Problem solved! Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

I went through, as suggested, looking for gold contacts which may need a spring. On this watch there seems to be a few vacant holes in both the black plastic piece and the white piece as shown in the pictures above.

I soon ruled out the vacant holes in the white piece, as they would have gone downwards and didn't touch any other gold contacts. On the black piece however, I narrowed it down to a hole which wasn't too big for the gold spring and went to a gold contact on the other side once the two pieces were placed together. I dropped the spring in place, put the pieces together again and the buttons started working immediately!

I have since tried the reset and that works fine now and resets the watch to 12:00. Don't think the spring had anything to do with this though, I believe that that was just me not doing it correctly originally.

Thanks again for the help. I've attached a picture which shows where the silver spring and the gold spring are located if you are wondering and for if anyone does the same as me in the future.
    Nice work! Glad it all got sorted! do these springs have room when you put that rubber bit over the module when closing it up?

EDIT: looking at earlier pictures, gold spring makes contact with the metal piece you put on the module, and then the silver pokes through for the speaker! :)
    Last edited by TRSCP; May 11th, 2015 at 00:45.
    DzMn likes this.

Yep, that's exactly correct TRSCP. When the metal piece is put on, you can't see the gold spring. The silver spring pokes all the way through including through the rubber piece to the speaker :)

happy ending LOLz lets go get a beer and smoke some weeds LOLz

Thread Information