Help needed! Need your help to decide on an inexpensive and small(ish) G-Shock.

Thread: Help needed! Need your help to decide on an inexpensive and small(ish) G-Shock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed! Need your help to decide on an inexpensive and small(ish) G-Shock.

Hey guys! First time posting on the G-Shock forum!

I've been wanting a G-Shock for a while now but it seems that they are all just MASSIVE, often crossing the 50mm diameter! I dislike the thought of such a monster on my wrist. Another thing is that I also do not want to spend a fortune on a first G-shock, so I ended up eyeing the DW-5600 Series and the DW-9052 - both inexpensive and on the smaller side. Any opinions on those two?

Soon after I stumbled upon the W-735H. While not a G-Shock it does have this rugged look, and more importantly - a vibration alarm - at around 30$ shipped from ebay - almost half the price of the cheapest G! Has anyone dealt with it?

Any other suggestion will be gladly appreciated.
    Ultimately I'm looking for:
    - An inexpensive (not necessarily as cheap as the DW-5600),
    - SMALL G-Shock.
    - I'd be very happy with a vibration alarm! Other functions beside the stop watch, timer and an alarm are nice but not a must.

THANKS!

Re: Help needed! Need your help to decide on an inexpensive and small(ish) G-Shock.

The dw5600 is inexpensive. Not cheap. It's as good as the g shocks twice its price. Anyone on this forum can tell you that. It fits all you're criteria other than the vibration alarm. My pops has had holis dw since the mid nineties with no issues other than a battery and another strap. Keeps pretty decent time and even has some features the pricier models don't. It's a great watch and can be had for less than 40 bucks on amazon or eBay. I got mine at wal mart for 42 bucks and change.

LUW

Re: Help needed! Need your help to decide on an inexpensive and small(ish) G-Shock.

What about a 2900? 46.3 mm but quite small on the wrist, easy to find and cheap!

Anther one at basically the same size (46 mm) is the 7710:

However, on the wrist it feels a bit bulkier then the 2900 and is a bit more expensive, but has a terrific module. If size is your primary concern, the smallest G out there is a classic 5600 square. You can find them from cheap to very expensive, according to model, but all are easy to find.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll agree on the DW-5600 -- it's inexpensive, it's one of the smaller G Shocks out there, and it's more or less the same watch as the original DW-5600C from 1983 (minus the screwback, and with the addition of the Illuminator backlight) and like every G, it's designed to survive stuff that the arm attached to it probably wouldn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Number29 View Post
    ...almost half the price of the cheapest G!
    Don't fall into the trap of taking Casio's "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices" seriously! A LOT of popular, well-established models can be found -- new in the package -- for a fraction of their "suggested price" at a lot of retailers. As macktheknife135 pointed out, the 5600 is just a little over $40 at Walmarts across the globe, $42.82 at Amazon, and elsewhere. Walmart also has the classic G-Shock DW-6900 for $45, though that might be a bit larger than you're looking for.

Like the others, the 5600 is simply a great watch. Another one to think about is a Gulfman. Forget the retail pricing as others have said, you can find them pretty reasonably.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

The W-735H is cool but the features are rather basic - I wrote a little review once - can give you a link later.
    The G-7500/7510 is not too big and has a vibe alarm. The G-7710 was already mentioned - IMO one of the best smaller models.
    G-8000 is also great if you can still find one. Ditto for the G-7600.

Cheers, Sedi

LUW

The Gulfman is one of my favorites, and with only 46 mm:

But it's more expensive then the others I posted.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

DW-9052 is not that small, I would suggest 6900

Hey everyone! thank your for your replies.

I forgot to mention is that I live outside of the US so amazon is not an option (Think ebay ) I was, in fact, talking about market prices and not suggested retail. Shipment included I can get the 5600 & and 9052 for around 60$ from ebay (local prices are insane! the lowest 5600 I could find is 83$!!!! on the plus side I can get the all-black 5600-BB1 for 85$ ) while the W-735H I can get for around 35$, which is just a bit over half the price of the two others

Oh and Sedi: I read your review! It's actually one of the main reasons I'm considering a 735H. Would you suggest it?

LUW: I love the gulfman looks but I thought that 46mm is HUGE. It does not seem all that big on your wrist... what's your wrist size?

temchik: The 9052 is listed as 43mm on the casio site... it's the second smallest G, after the 5600..
    Last edited by Number29; August 20th, 2013 at 20:30.

I still really like the looks and the feel of the buttons but the feature set is just a little too minimalistic for me to wear it 24/7 - I regularly use at least 4 alarms at work and on a watch with vibration feature a snooze alarm is a must for me. But if you can live with those limitations it's a great bang for the buck.

Cheers, Sedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information