Help needed recommissioning a DW-002
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tsip85

Thread: Help needed recommissioning a DW-002

Help needed recommissioning a DW-002

I found this great resource/forum a couple of weeks ago when I decided I wanted to start wearing my DW-002 BD-1T? (Eu model) which I have had since 1994, when riding my MTB or bouldering etc.

The story behind this watch is that it was bought for me a gift when I was around 12 years old, and I barely wore it. So now it is in pretty much 'as new' condition, and is ideal for my retro tastes lol.

I have had to order some spares from Casio, case screws and a resin strap. The screws have been lost, as I decided to take this watch apart for some reason (young and stupid eh!), and I don't recall what happened to the strap, as it is now snapped in half. :/

I still have the nylon sports strap/band, but I do recall unpicking the stitching and removing the 'G-Shock' label to use elsewhere. I am sad to hear that these are now no longer available. Is this true?

Luckily, the bezel etc is in A1 condition, showing zero signs of damage from either wear and tear, or the dreaded resin rot!

Here's the issues I currently have, I was supplied 6 identical screws for the watch when I gave Casio the model number, and 4 of them seem to fit the back OK, but the side screws are shorter, I know as I still have one. I guess I can acquire one from a watch repairers or similar?

The main issue I have, and am a little concerened over, is that the watch will not illuminate when the 'G' button is pressed (that is how you do it, right?!)
    I have only had this watch 'working' by pressing the case together with my fingers, due to no case screws. However, they arrived in the post this morning, and I am wanting to reassemble it.

Before I do though, is there anything wrong with the sprung section of the battery carrier (sorry, don't know correct name!) being slightly raised, almost bent?
    I assume the back of the case will hold everything together, but who knows!

I am new to messing about with watches. Any help getting the old girl back in business is much appreciated!

Here's the watch in question;

Thanks, Liam.

Re: Help needed recommissioning a DW-002

Forgot to say, I have had it illuminated with the case just pressed together, but only once. I am not sure what I pressed tbh.

Just tried sticking it together there, at first it was working, all functions etc (except illumination). Now it either won't display anything, or says the same thing when powered up, I forget what it is, something with J's and 2's in it iirc lol.

Can these be reset?

Liam, the DW002 actually has 6 bezel screws and 4 case back screws. Of the bezel screws, 2 are smaller than the other 4 and they go on the side of the bezel (between the buttons). As far as functions are concerned there are a couoleof of things that could be going on here. First of all, if the battery was removed, or lost contact, then it may be necessary to perform an AC reset. Also, it is possible that your module is not aligned correctly. Make sure all the button contacts are lined up correctly and making the correct contact when depressed.

If you could, take a picture of the watch back with out the case back on. The tighter and more clear the pic the better and one of us may be able to spot the problem. Also, please post a pic of the different screws you have. I may be able to help you out with missing screws..

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply Tsip85, I will take a few pics today when I am near my digital camera or GoPro. As for some reason, my Galaxy S2 take rubbish pics (see above!). Interesting information on the screws too, I really know nothing lol.
    I do see another 4, that form the sections which hold the strap (again, don't know the name) but I have never needed to remove those to get at the back of the watch, only two on the sides, that retain the rubber back.

Hope that makes sense!

I think the newest issue I have found will certainly not be helping matters too. It is also missing the screws that hold the movement. Damn it, I thought I kept all of these parts together!

I rang Casio parts UK, and they don't think that the movement screws are available, but are going to check for me.

Liam.
    Last edited by L14MNP; May 29th, 2012 at 16:20.

If you ( with the Help of Tsip, hoarder of all the surviving DW-002) have found out what kind of screws you need, gimme a shout, i should have the different ones but don´t want to send teh wrong ones around the globe. You´ll take care of the shipping, screws are on me.

LOL...with the help you'll get between the two if us (Lowtech and my self), I assure you we will have your 002 up and running like new.....making me want to add it to my collection, of course! ;)
    lowtech likes this.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thread Information