Help picking out a G-Shock
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help picking out a G-Shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help picking out a G-Shock

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to pick up a G-Shock as a beater watch for after-work wear, and was hoping that you guys could help me pick one out. Looking through everyone's WRUWs, there just seem to be so many. I don't know where to even begin!

I'm looking for a G-Shock with the following functions:

1. Preferably a G-Shock with the rectangular-shaped dial, although not necessary at all
    2. Digital!
    3. Preferably solar powered
    4. As TOUGH as possible! I want to buy once and never worry about it again, haha
    5. A watch that can used during exercise - running, biking, etc. - are these applicable for all G-Shocks?
    6. I don't need any sort of atomic syncing function. I travel a bit and don't want the atomic syncing to be a hassle if I'm not able to get a signal. I don't mind setting the watch every month or so.

What do you guys think is the best watch for me?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help, guys! I really appreciate it. I look forward to picking up a great watch in the near future!
    Last edited by seekingalpha; October 18th, 2013 at 06:53.

Re: Help picking out a G-Shock

Is colour an issue? If you're after an ordinary black watch, get the G-5600E. It's Tough Solar and has the basic square shape without anything fancy.

I agree with you about the atomic sync multiband G-Shocks. I think the feature is complete nonsense and unnecessary for the average watch wearer and just something extra to worry about when for whatever reason it doesn't happen to receive. Even when it's all working well and fine, the novelty can only be used in a few (though major) parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2422 View Post
    Is colour an issue? If you're after an ordinary black watch, get the G-5600E. It's Tough Solar and has the basic square shape without anything fancy.

I agree with you about the atomic sync multiband G-Shocks. I think the feature is complete nonsense and unnecessary for the average watch wearer and just something extra to worry about when for whatever reason it doesn't happen to receive. Even when it's all working well and fine, the novelty can only be used in a few (though major) parts of the world.
    Hey Alpha,

Thanks a lot for the recommendation! Color is not an issue, although I would prefer a darker color. Totally agree about the atomic syncing - you phrased it better than I did in my OP.

Would you say that this watch is any less tough than all of the Frogman, Mudman, etc. watches that get posted in this forum?

If you could recommend a G-Shock that's more than just the "basic square shape without anything fancy," what would it be?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by seekingalpha View Post
    Hey Alpha,

Thanks a lot for the recommendation! Color is not an issue, although I would prefer a darker color. Totally agree about the atomic syncing - you phrased it better than I did in my OP.

Would you say that this watch is any less tough than all of the Frogman, Mudman, etc. watches that get posted in this forum?

If you could recommend a G-Shock that's more than just the "basic square shape without anything fancy," what would it be?
    If toughness is your primary criterion, then with the amount of money for a fogman you can easily buy nearly a dozen of g 5600. In regards of toughness, no single watch in the world can beat a dozon of g 5600, you always have a back up

Another for toughness I would recommend a G9000. Not a solar watch, but 10 years out of battery isn't bad either. Very high on the value meter along with the 5600 already recommended.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by woshixiaozhu View Post
    If toughness is your primary criterion, then with the amount of money for a fogman you can easily buy nearly a dozen of g 5600. In regards of toughness, no single watch in the world can beat a dozon of g 5600, you always have a back up
    Awesome, thanks! Out of curiosity, how much exactly is a G5600E supposed to be? I looked it up on eBay and the going price seems to be around $80. I thought Frogmen were around $200 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2422 View Post
    I think the feature is complete nonsense and unnecessary for the average watch wearer and just something extra to worry about when for whatever reason it doesn't happen to receive. Even when it's all working well and fine, the novelty can only be used in a few (though major) parts of the world.
    You might find it to be nonsense and unnecessary since there is no atomic clock signal "Down Under."

For the 38% of the people on the planet who live in North America, China, Japan or Europe, we only have to set our solar/atomic watch's home city when we take it out of the box, set "DST" to auto and never worry about setting or changing it again. If we travel, we can just switch to "world time mode" and scroll through the list until we find the current time zone, without resetting anything!

Assuming the watch synchs every night (and all of mine certainly do) we're assured of a watch that only gains or loses a half second per year...or a half second per ten years, or a half second per battery life. As popular as the feature is, there are some G's where the solar/atomic costs just about what the "solar only" version costs, like the G(W)-6900 or the G(W)-2310.

Awesome, thanks! Out of curiosity, how much exactly is a G5600E supposed to be? I looked it up on eBay and the going price seems to be around $80. I thought Frogmen were around $200 or so?
    Frogmen vary quite a bit in cost since they also come in "battery only" versions, solar, and solar/atomic versions.

What do you guys think is the best watch for me?
    You really might want to check out this thread, if you haven't seen it already: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ml#post6864126
    Last edited by Mike K; October 18th, 2013 at 07:54.

Banned

Get a King. The ultimate tough G-Shock

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
    Chrisek likes this.

Yes $80 sounds normal for a G5600E, you probably may find some on amazon cheaper but won't be a lot cheaper. DW5600E costs only half of the price of GW5600E so if you don't think solar power is a must you may consider it as well. Frogman (not mudman or riseman,etc) will be a lot more expensive and if you want a solar model I don't think it is possible to be under $300. You were probably looking at 2nd gen frogman with DWxxx as the model name. They don't have solar power I guess. THey are awesome watches, but I think they are also a little over-priced. Some day in future I may buy one for collection purpose (every g shock fan must have owned at least one frogman to be qualified as a true g shock guru ), but as a utility or daily watch, no.

As Chrisek suggested, G9000 is also a nice choice. I had this watch for a short time but I found the button on it ridiculously hard to press. Every time I tried to use the stop watch I risked breaking my finger or losing my finger nail. If you don't press the button quite often, then it is a true "beater"

I just purchased a G-7900 (not gw7900) with $75 from a seller on amazon, and personally I prefer it over my GWM5610 (= G5600E+atomic) as it feels more rugged. You may want to look at it as well. Some g-shock models like mudman or frogman are advertised as more tough, but I think they are just marketing ideas. All g-shocks are tough enough to withstand any normal daily impact, and if you unfortunately break one in an accident like crashing from bike onto a tarmac road, chances are no g-shock can survive such disaster, and even if a frogman does survive it there must be a lot scraches which makes wearing it not a good choice anymore. So that was the spirit of my joke, expensive g-shocks are made to enjoy, and cheap g-shocks are made to wear.

So if you only want to buy a Casio to wear daily as a trusted dependent, 5600 series is a good choice. It is a lot like choosing a caliber for your first gun, one may argue .40 or .45 is better, but you cannot go wrong with a 9mm. And, most of us have undergone the same experience : "I just want to buy my first Casio to wear, only one to wear a long time", then we just started piling up so many watches... So 5600 is a good start, buying g-shock is highly dangerous and addictive, you will buy more eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information