Help please, ebay bank transfer advice!

Thread: Help please, ebay bank transfer advice!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help please, ebay bank transfer advice!

Hi all,

I have just won an ebay item for about £30.

The seller is German and only accepts bank transfer.

As I have never used this before I assumed I could make an easy payment via my online banking.

Unfortunately this is not possible and I have to go into a branch and also pay a £20 bank charge to send payment abroad!

Any advice? I have sent the seller a message explaining this and offering to pay any paypal charges on top if I can use paypal!

Thanks

Hooch

Watches are frickin evil!

Re: Help please, ebay bank transfer advice!

I have got a seller to sign up to Paypal in the past.

However, if he wont why not just send him the Euros in cash!

I have done this in the past and everything went well and for a lot less overall cost. Not really much more dangerous than using a Bank Transfer. If the seller is not honest how would you get your money back anyway?

Mitch

You need the IBAN/SWIFT codes to send the transfer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Mitch and Adan, Mitch Its a good point and I'll see if the seller would do that.

Adan he has sent me all the necessary bank details, its just the bank charge that is putting me off.

Wink Re: Help please, ebay bank transfer advice!

Hi Paypal is not very known in Germany. Most people only use their bank accounts. A bank transfer from a EURO to EURO country (I believe that £ are € in disguise) is relative fast an should be free of costs. Setting up a Paypal account can take one month...

You need the sellers IBAN number (international Banknumber), his name and place where he lives. If he doesn't know his IBAN number (I won't be suprised), you can use an IBAN RECHNER (IBAN Calculator). if you fill in right, you should get the name of the bank (which is also given by the seller) and a location near to the sellers living place. Now you can sent him the money like a normal bank transaction. If you have electronic banking, it should be easy to choose international transactions.

If you can't figure it out, mail me tonight. I just started at work, so I am not on-line much during the day.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    However, if he wont why not just send him the Euros in cash!
    This is also a good way, if there is a chare for a £ to € transfer. I believe it costed me €6.- to €8.- per transfer, when the tranfers were not given free (until a few years ago). A recorded letter is cheaper. Put your money between a postcard and some alluminium foil. This way there is no way to detect that there is money in the envelope. This way (I called it a shielded letter) I have sent off a lot of letters. For bigger amounts (like your £ 30.-) I choose to sent it recorded, for small amounts I just threw it in the letter box across the street of my school

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Usually the £20/€20 cost are if you need to send your address with the transfer.

I had a similair issue when I bought a motorbike helmet from Berlin.

Ask the seller how he wants it. If he doesnt need your address in the bank payment it should only cost €0.7 (at least here in IRE).

Unless he sells a lot of those watches it shouldnt be a problem. If he sells a lot then he probably needs the address to be sure that the payment is from you and not anyone else. :)

The plan with sending money, just pay for registered mail and you should be fine!
    /CutePape
    “Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.” - James Byron Dean

Hi Cutepape,

According to the European law and international € to € country transaction to IBAN accounts should cost the same as a national transfer. In the Netherlands and Germany they are free of charge.... Since that law was applied (I believe in 2004 or 2005), I never have been charged again. Though €0.70 doesn't sound as bad as the €6.- I had before that law was introduced. I had monthly to pay up to €60.- for charges back then...

Cheers,

Sjors

Thanks for the informative replies, some great advice.

The seller has just informed me that
    I try to make it possible for you to pay by paypal!
    So should be sorted!

Think I'll stick to paypal sellers in future!

Sjors,

you are right!
    But I live in ROI (Rip Off Ireland) and they charge you for everything. If I transfer money from my Swedish account it Ireland its free. From Ireland to SWE I have to pay a fee *grrrr*
    /CutePape
    “Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.” - James Byron Dean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information