Help on Vintage g's: DW-5200 & DW-5600

Thread: Help on Vintage g's: DW-5200 & DW-5600

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help on Vintage g's: DW-5200 & DW-5600

I've had some great luck and some cash, and have bought some vintage g's.

The DW-5200 is in good shape, but a little bleeding in the display. A few questions though:

1. why can't I use a CR2016 3V battery, when the CR2032, which I'm told it should have is also 3V. The CR2032's I bought were medical ones and are too thick, so I put in a CR2016 b/c I had them around.

2. How do you get the original o-ring gasket out when it's snug in the channel where it sits? I'd like to see if I can use the original one. Seems like I'd damage it taking it out.

3. Am I going to see this in the DW-5600C?

Thanks,
    Neil

Re: Help on Vintage g's: DW-5200 & DW-5600

Alright, so the DW-5200's bleeding or remnants of anything in the crystal has disappeared!

So, now the question remains, should I keep it vintage or put a new band/bezel on it (which I have).

* I can use the band from the DW-5600C, and put it on the DW-5200...it's not totally original, but I am not sure I want to try to turn the screws on the DW-5200, as they are probably the original screws as they are the single slot type.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Neil

Hey Neil,
    Go ahead and use the 2016. I've been using them for years in place of the 2320, when I couldn't get the 2320, and not had a problem.
    Don't remove the battery gasket unless you really need to as they're a pain to reinstall. You have to kinda fit it around these little metal tabs and....geez, it's just not worth it. Not really sure why you want to remove it. I guess if it's got battery acid on it (but then you'd have a larger problem).
    FYI - The main difference (only difference, as far as I know) between the module 691 and 901 is that they take different batteries - the 901, which takes the smaller 2016, just has a thicker gasket.
    If the bleeding has disappeared be aware that it can come back. That's happened to me on other modules.
    Unless you just have a burning need to remove those bezel screws you can simply break off the old bezel and installl the new over them. Works like a charm, just ream out the holes a bit on the new bezel.
    Cheers, Greg
    Last edited by casiophile; August 24th, 2008 at 05:26.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey Greg!

Curiosity got me and 3 of the single slot screws turned very easily, but the 4th did not...so I stopped trying to remove it.

I kept the DW-5200 vintage, and the DW-5600C looks brand new! The bezel crumbled off despite the glue that the previous owner had slopped on to try to keep it together. :oops:

Great advice and knowledge on the batteries/modules. :thanks

Regarding the gasket, I mainly wanted to lube it up and put it back, but there was no way to get it out without using my sharp metal tweezers.

Pics posted soon!
    Neil

Picture Re: Help on Vintage g's: DW-5200 & DW-5600

Here are the pics (DW-5200 on left, DW-5600C on right):

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by solar g-shocker View Post
    Alright, so the DW-5200's bleeding or remnants of anything in the crystal has disappeared!

So, now the question remains, should I keep it vintage or put a new band/bezel on it (which I have).

* I can use the band from the DW-5600C, and put it on the DW-5200...it's not totally original, but I am not sure I want to try to turn the screws on the DW-5200, as they are probably the original screws as they are the single slot type.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Neil
    The original battery for the older 691 dw5600 and dw5200 or anything with the 240 module is cr2320. You can find them on ebay occasionally but the cr2016 will fit. The reason I dont use the 2016 is because they have enough space to slide around. So if you are getting a little rough the time will have to be reset. If the last screw wont turn, dont force it because it will probably break. You can carefully get some strong penetrating oil around the screw and let it soak in, then try to turn it. But try not to get the oil in the buttons or in the surround of the crystal if possible. The oring once it comes out should be treated with silicone grease, this will enhance it's sealing characteristics. Good luck and congrats. They look like fine watches for 20 + years.

Great advice! This stuff should be in a vintage sticky somewhere!

I think the DW-5200 had sat around (in the seller's nightstand) for so long that it left some impression in the crystal, but once it got some juice (fresh battery), it went back to normal!

My 16 year old students may marvel at a watch that is older than them...or at least I think they should!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by dw5600 View Post
    The original battery for the older 691 dw5600 and dw5200 or anything with the 240 module is cr2320. You can find them on ebay occasionally but the cr2016 will fit. The reason I dont use the 2016 is because they have enough space to slide around. So if you are getting a little rough the time will have to be reset. If the last screw wont turn, dont force it because it will probably break. You can carefully get some strong penetrating oil around the screw and let it soak in, then try to turn it. But try not to get the oil in the buttons or in the surround of the crystal if possible. The oring once it comes out should be treated with silicone grease, this will enhance it's sealing characteristics. Good luck and congrats. They look like fine watches for 20 + years.
    The battery on my DW-5200 said BR2020 on it, and so I ordered up a CR2020 on Ebay to replace it. I wish that I had known earlier about the CR2320 fitting...

The old battery on mine said BR2020 also! Maybe that's a sign that those were the original batteries!

The 2032's are much harder to find for sure.

Neil

Yeah, they probably were the original bats. Mine was a "Matsushita" battery, and I think that is what comes in them from the factory in Japan...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information