Help with Windows XP PRO login

Thread: Help with Windows XP PRO login

Off topic Help with Windows XP PRO login

After being on this form a while, learning from people that are smarter than me, and finding out the assortment of job you all have I think maybe one of you may know the answerer to this question.

I got a new computer. When I turn it on it comes to the window where you choose witch user to logon using the icon. When turned on there is one icon for login account and it is Administrator. I do not want it to do that. I want it to automatically “logon” and go directly to the desktop. How do I do that? I know it is possible as my laptop, desktop, moms, aunts, and other computers I know all do it.

I have searched many places and even tried to call tech support for Dell but they were no help. The people I talked to had no idea what I was talking about. They said to call Microsoft. Microsoft said they can not help as the computer was bought through a vender and the vender is the only one who is supposed to provide tech support. I tried to search the Microsoft web site but came up with nothing. I may be searching for the wrong thing. I searched to login, automatic login, and autologin. Updates and updating the security does not matter it will not be going on the internet.

What I am going to use it for in a dedicated compute in an arcade cabinet I am building.

Specs are
    Windows XP PRO
    P4 3.0 GHz processor
    1 Gig RAM
    60 Gig HD
    128Mb AGP card
    DVD ROM
    3 ½ in drive
    Stan The Man

Careful what you wish for. YOU MAY GET IT!!!

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Re: Help with Windows XP PRO login

Start->Settings->Control Panel->User Settings

This is where you can adjust the user settings. "Change the way users log on or off" might be a good place to start. If it's your computer and you want full control to install things and such, then you should be the administrator. You don't have to be called Administrator, you can just change the name.

I hope that make sense.

Oh, I don't have Pro, just the standard XP, but it should be the same.

Failing that, there's tweakxp you can download, and it'll log you in automatically.
    Last edited by DragonJade; March 27th, 2008 at 17:02.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    jup jup jup...

beaten to a punch by about an hour...
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

"control userpasswords2"

Exactly what I needed. Thanks.
    Stan The Man

Careful what you wish for. YOU MAY GET IT!!!

For as many people find TweakXP good, way more find it bad.

For years people having been distributing software to make Windows work better, when with a bit of looking and in some extreme cases registry editting you can get Windows to do what you want without having to use 3rd party software.

Your User accounts just need 'fiddling with' (very technical term)

For any further problems use these guys http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/index.php some not so clued up people like ALL forums but the Mods really know their stuff.
    They are very very good when it comes to virus infection issues...fortunately I am careful as much as you can be and to date I have only been 'done' once with a video file attachment from someone I know (real life not virtual) The result was a full reinstall but that was the limit of the damage.

Thread Information