A "Hero" is Reborn!
Like Tree29Likes
  • 23 Post By 2manywatchs
  • 4 Post By 2manywatchs
  • 1 Post By the1hatman
  • 1 Post By Iyonk

Thread: A "Hero" is Reborn!

A "Hero" is Reborn!

The first watch I ever received was this watch...

...when I was 6 years old. Sadly, I could not see 35 years into a WIS future, and I killed that watch through hours of play. (This is a NOS model I bought about 20 years ago to replace it.)

The first watch I ever bought myself was a Casio G-Shock DW-5200 when I was a teen in @1985-6. I put it in a military keeper strap, the kind with the nylon/Velcro flap on top which covers the crystal to eliminate reflection, and wore it around. At some point, I stopped wearing it and it went in a drawer.

Two years ago, I found it in a box in exactly the same state. Oddly, it was still running (), but the bezel crumbled apart as I held it in my hand. The good news is that the crystal was flawless (it was always covered after all) as were the original screws which unscrewed with ease. Unfortunately, my "rediscovery" of this watch occurred after Casio stopped supplying the original bezel (never fails ). After months of looking, I found a seller who had two, NOS DW-5200 bezels. While expensive as you'd imagine (each far more than the watch had cost!) I bought them both. I now had everything I needed to put this piece back to original condition with the exception of the 2 piece rubber strap. I had immediately taken the originals off in the 80s to put it on the military nylon, but had no idea as to their current whereabouts. (I mean, it has been over 25 years ). So I started looking for NOS straps. I could not find a silver buckle one, anywhere. Then, about two weeks ago, I found a seller in the UK who had one in the package! I got lucky, too, as the seller listed it by part number rather than which watch(es) it fit. Well, it arrived today. So here it is. 28 years after the fact. Looking like the day she came home with me. (single tear forms on lower eyelid).

It's amazing what we'll go through for a watch.

Last edited by 2manywatchs; April 23rd, 2014 at 23:10.
    idkfa, Matt_C, l_cypher and 20 others like this.

Re: A "Hero" is Reborn!

Congrats!

The DW-5200 is my favourite of the vintage screwbacks. I have never been able to find one for a reasonable price so I sit here typing this wearing my DW-5600C (my second favourite).

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    Congrats!

The DW-5200 is my favourite of the vintage screwbacks. I have never been able to find one for a reasonable price so I sit here typing this wearing my DW-5600C (my second favourite).
    Thanks! The case back is the only thing that shows wear as it has some scratches. As I was assembling it, earlier, I contemplated having it bead-blasted to hide the marks. I might have to put a poll on here so that the purists can weigh in on such a move.

My replacement for this was/is the DW-5600E. I bought it in the early 2000s as 1.) It looked like my DW-5200 which I could not lay hands on at the time. 2.) The font was my favorite color, red. And 3.) It had EL whereas the DW-5200 has a bulb that I knew was a battery drainer.

Here it is...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2manywatchs View Post
    Thanks! The case back is the only thing that shows wear as it has some scratches. As I was assembling it, earlier, I contemplated having it bead-blasted to hide the marks. I might have to put a poll on here so that the purists can weigh in on such a move.

My replacement for this was/is the DW-5600E. I bought it in the early 2000s as 1.) It looked like my DW-5200 which I could not lay hands on at the time. 2.) The font was my favorite color, red. And 3.) It had EL whereas the DW-5200 has a bulb that I knew was a battery drainer.

Here it is...

Very Nice! Nice indeed!
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Very Nice! Nice indeed!
    Thanks! I'm beginning to wonder if I should retire this one, too. Even though I actually keep it as my true "beater" (hiking, kayaking, etc.), It's still in 95+ condition after over a decade. Perhaps I should get a newer one to beat up on?

Truth is... I know little about the history of these watches. I know the DW-5200 became a classic, but I only bought it because it was on the shelf and I was a teen looking for a watch and I thought it looked kind of cool. I only bought the DW-5600E because I saw it on sale (clearance, I think) and it reminded me of my original.

I know there have been many models similar to these out there. (I've never been a huge fan of some of the bulkier designs.) But beyond that, I could not tell you the nuances between them. Maybe I should find a "History of the G-Shock" page or something.

You, my friend, have excellent taste in timepieces! Mine say hello...

Name:  52005600.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  256.1 KB

My DW-5600E has the module from the DW-5600MS.
    2manywatchs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by the1hatman View Post
    You, my friend, have excellent taste in timepieces! Mine say hello...

Name:  52005600.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  256.1 KB

My DW-5600E has the module from the DW-5600MS.
    That. Is. Awesome.

Stunning post! i really love to see these vintage screwback back to action! yours look fantastic!

i always love screwback model but never got the chance to aquire one... the basic DW-5600e is great replacement but dont fill my thirst for screwback g-shock.. thankfully last year there are some new re-issued screwback so i can finally own some and join the club!

thanks a lot for sharing buddy! your post really bring smile in this tiring day hehehe.
    the1hatman likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Just a word of caution on those old resin bezels... I have on occasion had NOS bezels and straps fall apart on me, due to the dreaded resin rot. It just occurred again with a resin strap from a TW-7100. Looked perfectly fine and pliable in all respects. I'm wearing the watch and suddenly it falls off my wrist. WTF? One of the straps cracked into two pieces. A thin super clean break. I took a chance and flexed the two pieces very firmly in a variety of ways--no further cracking/breaking. It's mind boggling how this could happen... but apparently the resin rot can strike in one spot and destroy a perfectly good part.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Just a word of caution on those old resin bezels... I have on occasion had NOS bezels and straps fall apart on me, due to the dreaded resin rot. It just occurred again with a resin strap from a TW-7100. Looked perfectly fine and pliable in all respects. I'm wearing the watch and suddenly it falls off my wrist. WTF? One of the straps cracked into two pieces. A thin super clean break. I took a chance and flexed the two pieces very firmly in a variety of ways--no further cracking/breaking. It's mind boggling how this could happen... but apparently the resin rot can strike in one spot and destroy a perfectly good part.
    Thanks for the heads up! That's really what happened the first time. The bezel looked perfect in the nylon but literally crumbled as I held it. I have no idea how long this one might go.

Thread Information