Heros

Thread: Heros

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off topic Heros

OK, we've posted pictures of ourselves, explained what are user names mean, listed our favorite movies. We've cussed and discussed many aspects that make us all who we are (besides watches), I believe as a means to know our WIS family (friends? acquaintenaces?).

So, who is your hero(s) and why. If you plain can't find anyone to hero worship, let us know that. I've been in that position most of my life. Well, since my dad died.

Willie Nelson is one of my heros. He stands alone without regard for what others think or do. He battled against the established music industry and created a new form of expression which was later joined by Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon Jennings, etc. (the outlaws) A good read is, "The Tao of Willie" by Willie Nelson. It is his personal life intrepretation of The Tao Te Ching.

The Dixie Chicks are heros for the way they stood up for what they believe.

Ron Paul is fast becoming one of my heros. America was built upon the Constitution and I believe the powers in political America have all but destroyed the Constitution. Ron Paul stands with a few others to attempt a revolution in America and get her people back to the foundation of what made our country the envy of the world, not the destroyer of the world.

James Michner is a hero. If you have read many Michner novels you'd know why. James is able to create tangible worlds which the reader can live within for a space of time. Historical fictional worlds with historical facts and fictional characters whom you fall in love with.

Another comtemporary hero is Alex Jones. I would be suprised if many of you have heard about Alex and I'm afraid he may not be with us very long. He is actively engaged in the revolution for the soul of the United States of America... (crap, into politics again... sorry)

Who else...... hmmmmm.. you will laugh.. but for some reason Dolly Parton has always been a hero for me.. and I have no idea why.. just is...

In case your wondering... my music taste runs towards Jazz and Rock and Blues..... not country. I have no idea why Willie, The Dixie Chicks and Dolly mean so much to me. Maybe it's the heart that can be discovered within this form of music..... I'm just not sure.....

No actors.. no sports figures.... well.. John Wayne...
    Well.. I really like Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams.

No clergy...... only one politician..... no generals.... no heads of business... Oh, Neil Young.... almost forgot him.... been with me since the early 1970s.

So, for the most part, musicians are my heros with a few other art categories thrown in (film and literature). Ron Paul and Alex Jones just recently because I see my country moving down the wrong road IMHO.

Sorry for the very long post and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes with a few political comments I've made... they are just my humble opinion and personal views of my world, your mileage may vary, and that's cool.

-Craig (Gawain)
    Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

Re: Heros

Let's see how long this thread is allowed to survive!

Anyway, how could any list of heroes be complete without Hiro Nakamura?
    Attached Images Attached Images

And of course Richard Feynman.

Nutjob irreverent physicist, never lost his sense of fun.

And his three-volume Lectures on Physics has been my constant companion for twenty years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My only true hero... everything that I needed to know about life I learned from him...

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c View Post
    My only true hero... everything that I needed to know about life I learned from him...
    ROTFLOL..... your rock duke4c.....

Moderators... pull this thread if you want. I probably got way too personal and open for a watch forum....

sorry.....
    Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    Moderators... pull this thread if you want.
    No need - unless people start a Punch & Judy show with religious or political figures.

I restricted myself to one in each category.

Science: Darwin
    Literature: Shakespeare
    Art / Everything: Leonardo
    Sport: George Best
    Music: Thelonious Monk
    Film: David Lynch
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Oh, and Gawain... why no Arthur?
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

No heroes for me sorry... just the buddy next to me when on duty.

Wink Re: Heros

Hi Dudegalea,

Hiro Nakamura is a great hero. I like him!

Tribe,

I bought "The Origin of Species
    by means of Natural Selection" about a year ago... Although he is a real hero to me, I stopped reading after about 50 pages....

I liek Isaac Newton too. He invented the cat door (wich works with gravity). I believe not many people know he was a genial lunatic. He just tried every thought that came in his mind. He once put sticks on his eyelids to prevent closing of his eyes, to see what happens if you look straight into the sun for a long period. Not bad for a man who has been very important for modern Mechanica.

My hero's are probably: Thomas Bangalter and Guy Manuel de Homem Christo. I love their quest to become "HUMAN".

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Mine would have to be my Mom and Dad. Everything I needed to know about life and how to treat others I learned from them.Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information