Hidden Gem - PAW-500T - the next in the search for the perfect module

Thread: Hidden Gem - PAW-500T - the next in the search for the perfect module

Gift Hidden Gem - PAW-500T - the next in the search for the perfect module

Hi,
    finally this one's part of my collection - it's been on my wish list forever and a day. But when the $ dropped so very low a few weeks ago I couldn't resist - and today it arrived - took 12 days from the US to my door - the tracking status on the USPS homepage never changed .
    First a little unwrapping - then a few first impressions:

My first wooden box:

I had to take out three links from the bracelet - which is very easy 'cause they are connected with tiny spring bars (just be careful not to lose them). On the wrist it went:

Before I show some more pics some info:
    - bracelet: titanium
    - case: the usual plastic/metal combination that many Pathfinders have
    - module: 3143
    - time shown in almost all modes
    - 24 hr timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - worldtime
    - 5 alarms - no snooze like on all Pathfinders
    - altimeter
    - barometer
    - thermometer
    - Multiband 5
    - solar
    I consider it a hidden gem because it's not as popular as the bigger Pathfinder models but nonetheless has a great feauture pack, very legible display, is wearable with almost any outfit, slim, lightweight and comfy. Bracelet is only folded but you hardly notice it - it's only visible between the links:

some details of the bracelet:

clasp:

And now some shots of the display in the different modes:
    main timekeeping screen with baro trend graph (could also display day of the week and date or date, month and year):

REC mode - logging is pretty basic on that model (haven't used it so far):

worldtime:

stopwatch:

timer:

alarms:

barometer:

altimeter:

illumination:

I'm really glad I finally got one of those - it's almost perfect considering the functions - it would be perfect if it had a snooze - unfortunately no Pathfinder has one. To me it's a great alternative to the Riseman because it's a little dressier and the buttons are better IMO. The display layout with the seconds below the minutes and hours makes it very easy to read and it also looks better and more harmonic that way. The graph could be bigger but I like that it's possible to always display it in the time-keepig screen (something I miss on my PRW-1200). Holger (aka cal..45) told me that he saw a model that had a negative illumination - mine doesn't, so maybe Casio changed that or there are differences between the European and US version. But the standard illumination is sufficient, it just doesn't look as cool. All in all for under 100€ this was a steal. It's probably gonna stay on the wrist for some time now .

regards, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

K42

Re: Hidden Gem - PAW-500T - the next in the search for the perfect module

Sounds very nice. I do like the display layout.

I did have a Riseman at one time and the one thing that bothered me, along with most G-Shocks, is the presence of a physical bar/separator running across the screen.

Are the units for Temp/Alt/Baro changeable?

Yes, the units can be changed. I find the display layout to be much better than that of the Riseman.

regards, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Nice choice there, Sedi. I've got my sights on an ABC watch right now, still trying to decide between a few models. Queen6 makes it hard, because he gives high marks to a few of them. I was going to go with a PAG-80, then a PAG-240... followed by a PAW-1300. I like the look of the PAW-500T, but darned... why couldn't they put a compass in it too? Maybe that's a PAW-1100T then.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thanks mate! Well, the compass is the one feature I almost never use on my ABCs. The idea behind getting the PAW-500T was mainly to get a solar/atomic watch that has 24 hr timer/STW and shows current time in other modes. The AB-functions are just the candy on top for me.

regards, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information