High Tide
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: High Tide

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

High Tide

There are so many cool models out there that include a tide graph. But as an in-lander, I imagine I would have zero use for that. So I'm wondering how many of you do in fact use your tide graph, especially if you are an in-lander like me. Or is it just a function that you ignore for the sake of the watch itself?

Re: High Tide

For the most, I do ignore it, but I only live 10 miles from the coast, so whenever I occassionally drive past, I always give a glance to the old G Shock - it's always right!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

I live just a few miles from multiple bodies of water. Still don't use it, it is a novelty though. I think the tide graph modules are a downgrade relative to the normal modules unless you actually need/use the tide graphs.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I live on a former island (it's now a peninsula), so there is a lot of water near where I live (5 - 12 km in about every direction i go from my home). We have a small beach cabin, so it's handy to have a Tidegraph. We also only buy week calendars with high and low tide and I have a Tides App on my iPhone. The difference between low and high tide at the beach can be around 100 - 150m beach width more or less.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I use it very frequently. We live 15 minutes from the ocean and every time we go, the tidegraph makes decisions like "cheap or expensive parking" or "lunch before we hit the beach or after" much easier. Surfers crowd the tide changes and we have an infant we don't want near the water during the changes, so it is helpful and very accurate.
    StephenWatch likes this.

I live out in the Sonoran Desert, an I use mine all the time so I don't get caught in a low area when the tide comes in!

When I look at it, it reminds me of the days when I lived in the Islands duing my surfing days! So I'm good with it!
    Last edited by azpops; April 20th, 2012 at 00:53.
    Have a great day, or night! ...

Pops

... ...

The best two to three weeks of every year is the time my family spends fishing in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I have the tide on my Frogman set to Cape Hatteras and I get a good feeling when I look at my watch all year knowing what the tide is there. And the Frogman let's me know whether it is a spring tide or a neap tide. Right now the tide is flowing out and is midway between a spring tide and a neap tide as we are nearing the new moon.
    Yeah, I love the feature.

T
    lumpazi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhammer8 View Post
    ...we have an infant we don't want near the water during the changes, so it is helpful and very accurate...
    The south of our island (Walcheren) is the coast of a wide river mouth. When the tide is lowering, it is very dangerous to go into the sea in the south, south/west and west of the island.

Cheers,

Sjors
    mhammer8 likes this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Good insight from everyone, thanks guys! I've actually been interested in the G7900 lately. I tried one on at the mall last night - good fit and feel, good functions, good look. Of course my only reservation is the tide graph, whether or not I really need that. But then again, how much of this is really based on "need"? And who know, I may actually use it someday. I do have a question: Since there is a separate menu for the tide graph, what is it displaying in the main time-keeping menu?

The seperate 'menu' for the tide function allows you to vary the time to let you know what the tide will be at a selected time/date, maybe for a future visit to the coast at the weekend for example. The standard time display shows the tide level at the current time...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information