Homage
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sedi

Thread: Homage

Homage

I've been a member of various forums for many years now and have seen lots of project watches.WUS have been involved in some really nice military and dive models.Eddie at TZ has produced many homages to iconic watches.But I'm surprised nobody has thought to do something with Gs.Part of the process of producing a project is to upgrade or improve a feature on the original.I'm sure most people have ideas of features that could be incorporated or upgraded on lots of models.For me the use of an Indiglo type of lighting system would vastly improve a couple in my collection.Given the (sadly) high standard of the newer fake frogmen available the skills are out there.Wouldn't it be nice to see them harnessed for good.My idea would be for a sterile version of the DW-6300-1A in solar atomic with an indiglo-like backlight

Re: Homage

I guess that, apart from copyright reasons and all the leagalö stuff and moral issues that i don´t want to discuss here, there are different problems than with creating a mechanical watch.

There are suppliers around there making cases in every shape size and finish one might wish, and because they are made anyways in big numbers, you can get little numbers cheap. Same goes for dials , bezel and chapter rings and hands.
    Movements can be had from chepo Quartz up to high end mechanicals in every taste you like, as they are often used across brands big numbers are produced and you can buy them (realatively) cheap.

With a Digital watch, you´d have to find someone that can develop a module that does what you want, then it must be produced so it will fit a case of a given size. So this will be a special order which will be extremely expensive as you order onla say a few dozen to a hundred ones. After that, finding someone to produce teh faceplates will be a n easy task in comparison.

I think your chances are better if you find a module that fits the watch case that you liek and has most of the desired functions and tehn fit one to the other. That would be a big project byitself. like you take a solar atomic 4 button module and fit it´s faceplate to teh frog´s case. Or you find an Ironman module to your liking and grind teh crystal with the solar panel to fit the frog?!

Try putting spaces after your periods. Makes it easier to read. Just a tip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

People buy Rolex-clones 'cause they can't afford the original. So I don't see the point in buying G-Shock knockoffs, because almost everyone can afford the original. Modding and customization are fairly easy. A G-Shock clone in limited series that's halfway as good and tough would probably be way more expensive than to just buy an original.

Cheers, Sedi
    Fer Guzman likes this.

I think my idea has been misunderstood,I wasn't putting forward the idea of a clone or copy.Just the idea of a homage to a discontinued G adding a few features the original lacked.and maybe a feature or two that Casio don't use.

Thread Information