Hooked...Fist purchase "fromjapan"
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kev55

Thread: Hooked...Fist purchase "fromjapan"

Hooked...Fist purchase "fromjapan"

Looking at a AWG-M100SBC-1AJF on Rakuten. This will be my first purchase from Japan, and I've gone ahead and registered on the "fromjapan" site. I've tried to read a ton of stuff about these transactions prior to pulling the trigger, just want to make sure I get it right. Paying with paypal, selected the "check service", "safer domestic shipping" (although free shipping is indicated, I'm guessing that's just inside Japan?). Also not sure if I should select "send it exact packaging". I don't think that's necessary but just a lil nervous newb here.

Re: Hooked...Fist purchase "fromjapan"

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Rakuten and the "FromJapan" service are two different things. The latter is an auction-type format (I think - never used it) and to me seems to be a bit complex, but Rakuten is basically a collection of Japan merchants who sell online, many to international customers. The Rakuten process is pretty simple, there are threads on here that detail the process. But basically you order a watch from a specific seller (like E-bloom), specify Paypal (or a credit card if you wish and that is an option), and then the merchant will email you a link to pay using Paypal for the full amount plus shipping fee (if any). Once you pay, they ship out your item pretty fast. (via EMS if coming to the U.S.) It is a very fast shipping service and you'll get the watch within 3-4 days generally. Many Rakuten sellers have been used by members here with very few poor experiences reported. I myself have used them quite a bit and never failed to have a good experience.

Suggest searching for Rakuten threads here on the forum. You can use the site's search engine, or use google by typing in: site:Casio G-Shock Rakuten buying

* Edit: in google, you don't type "site:Casio G-shock" but instead "site:forumsDOTwatchuseekDOTcomSLASHf17SLASH" along with keywords such as 'rakuten' and 'buying' --- all without quotes.
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; January 13th, 2016 at 22:52.

Right. So a little bit of an over reaction on my part. Because this watch is available nearly everywhere in JP, I don't think I'll need to use fromjapan. However, FromJapan is a purchasing aid for all Japanese sites, you can purchase from Rakuten, Amazon JP, etc. and they simply facilitate the transaction. Clarify if I'm wrong. I had better results going to "fromjapan" and searching for a specific model, as it will return exact results from amazon, fromjapan, etc. Searching on rakuten is like thumbing through a yard sale if you search for a specific model. I haven't done exact calculations, but it looks like I'll just be able to order from Amazon JP and come out with a similar price. The Rakuten watch is actually sold by Takeya discount store. Thanks for the reply!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clayteson View Post
    Right. So a little bit of an over reaction on my part. Because this watch is available nearly everywhere in JP, I don't think I'll need to use fromjapan. However, FromJapan is a purchasing aid for all Japanese sites, you can purchase from Rakuten, Amazon JP, etc. and they simply facilitate the transaction. Clarify if I'm wrong. I had better results going to "fromjapan" and searching for a specific model, as it will return exact results from amazon, fromjapan, etc. Searching on rakuten is like thumbing through a yard sale if you search for a specific model. I haven't done exact calculations, but it looks like I'll just be able to order from Amazon JP and come out with a similar price. The Rakuten watch is actually sold by Takeya discount store. Thanks for the reply!
    I'm sure your description of FromJapan is right, but again, I have not used it. As for Rakuten, you can easily search for and find a specific model. Just put in the model number, such as PRW-3100G, and it will bring up all stores that are selling it. Good luck!

If you're looking at global.rakuten.com/en , then chances are they're willing to send it directly. That way you can save the system and handling fee of fromJapan.
    I usually using FJ for Yahoo Auction purchases, or when i want to consolidate purchases from different vendor.

I type butter on mah phon

...your thread title has some fighting words in it ..."hooked" "fist" - suits Casio G- Shock down to the ground. I thought you had purchased boxing gloves when I first saw the title.

Kev
    Last edited by Kev55; January 14th, 2016 at 09:52.
    domoon likes this.

I have recently used Buyee for Yahoo auction and I have to say I was very pleased and plan on using them again for my future purchases from Japan

Thread Information