How Common are G-Shocks with red LED backlights?
Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Dreamnine
  • 1 Post By DaBigDogg
  • 1 Post By bmfang
  • 1 Post By Rocket1991
  • 3 Post By Knives and Lint
  • 1 Post By Dreamnine

Thread: How Common are G-Shocks with red LED backlights?

How Common are G-Shocks with red LED backlights?

I bought this G-Shock today after seeing it on a website, same-day delivery.

I expected it to have the normal blue-green backlight but was surprised when I pressed the light button and it turned on red. I had done no research on this model just that I liked the khaki strap. I never read watch manuals but dug it out and it made no mention of this.

Name:  IMG_2714.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  646.5 KB
    Last edited by Dreamnine; March 30th, 2019 at 23:27.
    Slm643, Davidka, DaBigDogg and 3 others like this.

Re: How Common are G-Shocks with red LED backlights?

It looks like an MS model. They all have red displays.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
    I bought this G-Shock today after seeing it on a website, same-day delivery.

I expected it to have the normal blue-green backlight but was surprised when I pressed the light button and it turned on red. I had done no research on this model just that I liked the khaki strap. I never read watch manuals but dug it out and it made no mention of this.

Name:  IMG_2714.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  646.5 KB
    Which model is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dreamnine likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigDogg View Post
    Which model is it?

Looks like a GD-100MS

https://www.casio-europe.com/euro/pr.../gd-100ms-3er/

Dreamnine likes this.

They not quite common. Although it rather esthetically driven restriction.
    Dreamnine likes this.
    It should be special!

I have a bit of an obsession with red flashlights and therefore for a time I had a bit of an obsession with the GD-100MS. My daily carry flashlight is the Surefire Aviator in red/white, and I buy red filters for most of other flashlights. I even replaced many of the interior lights in my truck with red LEDs. The reason for this (and the reason that red lights are used in many aviation and military applications) is because red does not dilate your pupils as much and preserves your natural night vision. That's what makes it for the perfect choice in the MS (military) models, though I'm not sure why Casio only used it in the GD-100 versions.

Now, I understand that most G-Shock lights aren't bright enough to dilate your pupils anyhow, no matter what the color, making it mostly an aesthetic choice. Still I think it would be a nice touch in the military models, a good design choice in red watches, and I wish Casio would use red illumination more often.

The perfect example is the Mars camo GD120. The blueish light on that all red watch always bugged me because it seemed so out of place. As I said I always had a thing for the GD-100MS, and I had picked up a few used ones over time just because of the red light. Since these models share the same case, I was able to do an LCD swap and give my Mars camo G (which was already modded to have a positive/red display) the red backlight.

Name:  525 (2).JPG
Views: 70
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  red.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  3.49 MB

TL,DR version: The GD100MS is a very cool G, particularly because of the red backlight which is very uncommon (unique?). That also makes it a great option for modding, and I wish Casio would use red lights more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    I have a bit of an obsession with red flashlights and therefore for a time I had a bit of an obsession with the GD-100MS. My daily carry flashlight is the Surefire Aviator in red/white, and I buy red filters for most of other flashlights. I even replaced many of the interior lights in my truck with red LEDs. The reason for this (and the reason that red lights are used in many aviation and military applications) is because red does not dilate your pupils as much and preserves your natural night vision. That's what makes it for the perfect choice in the MS (military) models, though I'm not sure why Casio only used it in the GD-100 versions.

Now, I understand that most G-Shock lights aren't bright enough to dilate your pupils anyhow, no matter what the color, making it mostly an aesthetic choice. Still I think it would be a nice touch in the military models, a good design choice in red watches, and I wish Casio would use red illumination more often.

The perfect example is the Mars camo GD120. The blueish light on that all red watch always bugged me because it seemed so out of place. As I said I always had a thing for the GD-100MS, and I had picked up a few used ones over time just because of the red light. Since these models share the same case, I was able to do an LCD swap and give my Mars camo G (which was already modded to have a positive/red display) the red backlight.

Name:  525 (2).JPG
Views: 70
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  red.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  3.49 MB

TL,DR version: The GD100MS is a very cool G, particularly because of the red backlight which is very uncommon (unique?). That also makes it a great option for modding, and I wish Casio would use red lights more often.
    Thanks for posting. That is very interesting and you did a good job with your mod.
    Knives and Lint likes this.

Red illumination is uncommon in G's.

This model seems to hold it's value better than most other standard GD-100's. You won't get rich, but you won't see it for less than, say, 60% of retail.

I used to have one of these. Aesthetically it's one of my favorites. I love the layout, details, coloring and design. The red LED display makes it look like something out of a Russian fighter cockpit, or Airwolf or something.

However, functionally and ergonomically, it's at the bottom of my list. Multiple world times have no value for me, and I prefer the time to be displayed in other modes.
    When there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Thread Information