How did you find this forum & discover G-Shocks?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How did you find this forum & discover G-Shocks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How did you find this forum & discover G-Shocks?

I have a pretty odd story of discovery for G-Shocks and this forum. Rather than G-Shocks leading to this forum, this forum lead me to G-Shocks.

Basically I like wearing watches, but my chinese piece of junk had just broken. I settled on a F-91W, since I didn't even know A/B or solar/atomic watches even existed. Then I was googling it when I was bored, and lo and behold this forum is most of the results.

From there I learned all about G-Shocks, and figured I had to have a GDF-100-1A. From there I picked up a GLX-5600, a GW-M850, and a G-2210. The GW-M850 isn't really my style so I'm selling it, and the G-2210 is basically a total ****. Fun to put under my mates car and make them think they ruined it.

I hope to have the GDF and the GLX forever though.

So how did you find this forum, G-Shocks, and what was your first?

Re: How did you find this forum & discover G-Shocks?

I had a G-Shock as a kid but then stopped wearing watches after that.. then in December 2010, I was walking through a mall looking for something to get for Christmas and I saw the G-Shock counter! reminded me of my childhood, they had some really cool looking watches but I wanted to come home and do some research before buying anything, see all my options. That's when I saw the DGK King, man I wanted it so bad. So I started looking for it here, checking stores etc, that's when I found this forum in Jan 2011.. at the Time Casio was having the Shock the World event in India and a member from here had attended and had taken pics, So I signed up to the site to ask him if he knew about the DGK coming here:

my 1st post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st wus post.png 
Views:	305 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1355196

The DGK was on display at Shock the World:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2861.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	1355199

but never launched here.. at the time I wasn't aware of Rakuten etc.. plus was worried about customs, thought I would find it on a trip abroad, but never did. Now I can't really afford the crazy prices it goes for, anyways..

Only when I joined the forum, did I find out about the value of the Dee & Ricky, which I had actually spotted in a store over here. So I rushed and picked it up. So that was my 1st G that started my collection, Got the Bumblebee GA100 soon after that and it took off from there.

Now I'm waiting to see the DGK 3.. lol would love a black and purple GD-X6900
    nigelw likes this.

Nice first watch and cool story! Thanks for posting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What got me into G-shocks back in '95 was my friend's dw003TL. I had never seen a negative display digital watch. When he showed me the backlight I was hooked. It's been a crazy ride ever since.

I've know about G-Shocks since I was little. Casio does pretty good marketing here in the Netherlands, it's not viewed as a toy watch or a fashion watch, but as a serious watch that can take a beating. Always wanted one, but I could never wade through all the models. Finally decided on my first after figuring out what G-Shocks there are and which was most suited for me.

And how I found this forum? Simple, 90% of G-Shock ownership pictures on Google Images lead to WUS...

I was out Christmas shopping and walking past the jewelry counter the watches caught my eye. I hadn't worn a watch since 1997 but suddenly had a desire to own one. I almost bought one on the spot, but decided to go home and so some research. Thankfully that saved me a lot of cash. I found WUS during me research. I ended up deciding on a seiko 5 snk789. I love it and wanted to wear it all the time, but I cook for a living and knew that I would destroy it pretty quickly in a kitchen. I still wanted a watch to wear at work though and so the research began again. I read everything I could in the g-shock forum and knew I wanted something classic and tough, so today after a week of going into walmarts that I passed on the way to work and looking for one with a straight module, I found one today and it was cheaper than I had found at any other walmart. My DW5600e. And from not wearing a watch for almost 17 years to two watches in one month.

James142, nigelw and Matt_C like this.

I got into gshocks because I bought the best rated and cheapest watch I could find on amazon, that I also happen to find acceptable looking. I found this forum searching for g-shocks and suits.
    nigelw likes this.

I've been somewhat of a WIS for years. A couple years ago I noticed that the top customer rated watch on Amazon was the DW5600e, so I decided to buy it as a work beater.

Every time I would google a question about a watch, I ended up finding the answer on this forum. I'm much more of a lurker than a poster
    Last edited by TACK; January 23rd, 2014 at 04:45.
    Fer Guzman likes this.

any question i had about a particular model of any kind of watch, always leads to this place through any search engine, once i saw F17 i was hooked.

I found watchuseek while researching the ever-elusive Seiko SCVS013, affectionately named the "Blue Spark." I mainly collected Seiko automatics and rarely ventured outside of the Seiko forum until early last year, when I began exploring other watch brands. I caught a glimpse of the GW-5000 in the public forum, bought it on a whim, and got hooked. In my search for more information, I visited this forum and found an abundance of information provided by friendly forum goers. It's a great forum with dedicated fans who take the hobby to the next level. The collections I've seen here are just amazing -- from small collections to extensive collections -- all of which are diverse but equally reflect the same level of passion for these robust digitals.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; January 23rd, 2014 at 05:29.
    nigelw likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information