How do I clean my G-shock? (white stains from water)

Thread: How do I clean my G-shock? (white stains from water)

Wink How do I clean my G-shock? (white stains from water)

My DW-5600 which has been my trusty friend for the last 6 months has some white residue from water on the strap (calcium perhaps?)

I removed the lettering on a G-5500 and found rubbing resin with a soft cloth (used for monitor screens) or soft paper towel and nail polish (acetone free) and even merely water has an effect on resin.
    I checked it also on my DW-290 strap and there is definitely a visible effect.
    Obviously rubbing resin (and plastic to, because the same happened with my plastic Casio) even with a soft cloth and water removes a tiny bit of material.

So rubbing is out of the question, perhaps I could soak it in water and soap, or cleaning alcohol or something else?

It's not a big deal but I would like to get rid of the white stains on my strap.

Re: How do I clean my G-shock? (white stains from water)

I have always used warm water and a soft bristled tooth brush, then I spray Vinylex on the resin and let is soak for a few minutes, then wipe off. Vinylex is a plastic, rubber and vinyl restorer, won't deteriorate the resin and has a UV protectant in it. This is the best method I have found and have been doing so for years with beneficial lasting effects, They wont last forever but after all, it is the worlds toughest watch.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKWATER View Post
    I have always used warm water and a soft bristled tooth brush, then I spray Vinylex on the resin and let is soak for a few minutes, then wipe off. Vinylex is a plastic, rubber and vinyl restorer, won't deteriorate the resin and has a UV protectant in it. This is the best method I have found and have been doing so for years with beneficial lasting effects, They wont last forever but after all, it is the worlds toughest watch.
    Does the tooth brush not leave small scratches or other visible marks?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

No, the toothbrush will not leave any scratches or any marks. I put some warm water and some Walmart liquid bubble bath soap on my soft toothbrush and I scrub away. If my watch is very dirty I have to repeat the scrubbing process over a few times to get all the white stuff off the resin. I usually take off the watch band and I clean the watch first and each separate piece of the watch band separately. I've done this many times with my DW6600 and with my GW9010-1 atomic solar Mudman and it works well for me. On my 9010-1 atomic solar Mudman, I do not take off the watch band because the watch band has screws on it. I scrub th Mudman with warm water and the liquid soap "with" the watch band "on" the watch. On the DW6600, I take the watch band off before scrubbing it because it's easy to access the pins between the lugs on the DW6600.
    Once you do the scrubbing and rinse the watch while scrubbing it under warm water, most of the white stuff if not all of it will go away. You may need to scrub the resin a few times though to make the white stuff go away if your watch has a lot of white stuff on it.
    That's how I get off the white stuff and dirt off the resin on my G-Shocks and it has been working for me for the last few years without any problems.
    Just make sure that you use a "very soft" toothbrush when you scrub the resin and the watch band.
    Last edited by Tick Toc; December 2nd, 2012 at 16:24.

Thread Information