How do I replace the strap on my Casio OC-500?

Thread: How do I replace the strap on my Casio OC-500?

How do I replace the strap on my Casio OC-500?

Any advice on replacing the straps on the Casio OC-500? It doesn't use a typical spring bar and instead uses a fixed length bar (below) which appear to be pressed into place.
    Name:  1036697d1365215669-casio-oc-500-oceanus-needs-new-strap-41blf9bnygl._sx385_.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  17.6 KB
    The old bars don't appear to be removable unless I cut them and I'm not confident that's the right way to do them. Any help you can advise me on this unusual strap system would be great.

Re: How do I replace the strap on my Casio OC-500?

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    There's screws ob both sides of the bar so one side has to be fixed - there is even a proper tool for that but I think a screwdriver in a vice might also work:
    S1 FLEX Strap loosening block for watch straps with screws

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thanks for the answer Sedi. One thing though... if I recall the replacement bar has no threads on it (it's at home so I can't see it right now) so perhaps it's a newer design? I'll have to try & doublecheck later today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum!
    There's screws ob both sides of the bar so one side has to be fixed - there is even a proper tool for that but I think a screwdriver in a vice might also work:
    S1 FLEX Strap loosening block for watch straps with screws

cheers, Sedi
    That's a darn handy looking tool, simplest designs always work the best...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by ERay01 View Post
    Thanks for the answer Sedi. One thing though... if I recall the replacement bar has no threads on it (it's at home so I can't see it right now) so perhaps it's a newer design? I'll have to try & doublecheck later today.
    Double checked.... The bars have no threads on the ends so that tool simply won't work. Any suggestions other than bringing it to a jeweler/watch shop.

I discovered the following on a 'google' expedition... "If its an OC500, I just figured it out. There are two sides of the pin visible. One has a dimple and one is completely smooth. Use a small phillips or a punch that is the same diameter as the pin and push on the side with the dimple. The pin pushs in only about 1/4 inch and the smooth side protrudes from the other end. Pull or pry on the smooth end to extract it. The pin is actually 2 parts so be careful not to lose the dimple side piece."

Now, I've never owned this watch, so can't validate at all if the above makes any sense at all...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Yeah I saw that also but it didn't make sense to me. When I was playing with the pins (aka spring-less bars) that came with the strap, I found there are no moving parts on them whatsoever.

I suspect the replacement process requires me to cut off the old pin and then use the new pins that came with the replacement strap. It's too bad. I really liked the design of this watch with the exception of the STUPID proprietary strap and I will probably not replace the band the next time it breaks and the watch will simply go unused into my watch case.

I have no idea if the length (or diameter) is the same, but it might be worth looking into Casio's "screw and internally threaded post" system that they use on the MTG-900 series, GW-500 series, and several of their Pro Trek models: Casio Watch Band Screws

They're available from PacParts, TikTox and other parts dealers, but that webpage linked above shows several of the different versions all on one page!

Thread Information